Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2013 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Festival Sept 21-22 >

2013 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Festival Sept 21-22

2013 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Festival Sept 21-22

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 2013 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Festival Sept 21-22

Hello all Vintage RC car enthusiasts!! The Castle Hill Off Road committee is proud to announce that it will be hosting the

2013 Vintage Festival on September 21 and 22

The committee has come together, we have been listening to feedback from the enthusiasts and have tweaked a few things in order to make the event a bit more accessible and to align ourselves closer with Victorian rules to encourage interstate entries as there will be events in Victoria this year, it will be easier if the same cars are vintage legal across both states.

With that in mind, here is a summary of the tweaks we have made for the event and any vintage events held at Castle Hill

Vintage buggy: cut off has now been moved to any buggy on sale up to the end of 1991. This allows the inclusion of such vehicles as Traxxas Trx1, Tamiya Bear Hawk and Top Force. Please see attached list of eligible buggies and please pm me if there’s a buggy that should be included that hasn’t been

Vintage truck: the truck phase didn’t come in until later so we decided that the cut off for truck didn’t need to match that of buggy as the list of eligible trucks was pretty small so truck cut off has been moved to any truck or conversion that was on sale up to the end of 1993. This allows the inclusion of trucks such as Traxxas Eagle, Losi LXT and Tamiya Dyna Blaster. Classic truck will be offered as a class for those who wish to run their XXT’s and T2’s etc

Plastic Fantastic: The best era for this style of vehicle ended earlier than the classic period of the buggies so with that in mind we have moved the cut off for this class to the end of 1988.

Entry fees will be $10 per class, you can enter up to 3 classes per day

The BBQ will be running for lunch as per usual and cold drinks will be available all day

Drivers meeting 730am
******Racing will START at 8am SHARP on BOTH days******

The events to be held on Saturday are:
• 2wd Stock Vintage
• 2wd Open Vintage
• 2wd Open Classic
• Plastic Fantastic
• Truck (Vintage and Classic)

The events to be held on Sunday are:
• 4wd Stock Vintage
• 4wd Open Vintage
• 4wd Open Classic
• Pipe Frame 4wd
• Hotshot

Categories for Vintage racing are:
• VINTAGE Buggy: Cut off date December 31, 1991. 2wd and 4wd classes - open and stock
• VINTAGE Truck: Cut off date December 31, 1993. Open motor
• CLASSIC: from January 1st 1992 through to December 31, 1996. Open motor
• PLASTIC Fantastic: Cut off date December 31, 1988. Stock motor

As with previous years, classic is open only

Category motor basics:
• STOCK – RS540 Mabuchi silvercan with black endbell /Johnson 540 grey endbell
• OPEN – any motor - brushed or brushless.

Category Batteries:
• Hard case Li-Po 7.4 v nominal voltage maximum.
• Sub-C cells. 7.2 v nominal voltage maximum

Class specific guidelines:

Eligible Truck entries:

As with previous years, truck class is a bit more relaxed in terms of cut off, we’ve nominated end of 1993 as vintage classification, anything 1994-1996 will be considered classic. Motor is open in truck class.

Eligible cars for the PIPE FRAME only class are:
• Mugen Bulldog
• AYK Viper
• Kyosho Gallop
• Kyosho Javelin
• Hirobo Zerda
The Pipe frame class is 4wd only and limited to the above cars. The motor for this class is the Mabuchi/Johnson RS540. (Same as the stock class). Period modifications are acceptable. ALL cars must retain a strong resemblance to the original buggy.

Eligible cars for the HOTSHOT Class are:
• Hot Shot
• Boomerang
• Super Shot
• Big Wig
• Hot Shot II
• Super Sabre

The eligible buggies for the Hot Shot class are limited to the above mentioned buggies only. The motor for this class is the Mabuchi/Johnson RS540. (Same as the stock class). The aim for this class it that someone could buy a re-release kit and go racing merely by finding the right pinion and modern tyres so the cars should remain as stock as possible, standard cva shocks must be used. Interchanging of parts between these cars is fine. ALL cars must retain a strong resemblance to the original buggy where possible. Tyres and wheels are open.

Eligible cars for Plastic Fantastic Class:

Any car that was released with fixed camber front and rear and with a plastic chassis up to the end of 1988. Solid axle buggies like the Hornet and Grasshopper are also included in the class. Basically this class is for entry level buggies. Modifications should be kept to a minimum, standard shocks should be retained, springs can be changed; however buggies that have been modified to have adjustable camber will not be allowed to enter. The motor for this class is the Mabuchi/Johnson RS540. (Same as the stock class).Tyres and wheels are open

GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR VINTAGE AND CLASSIC:

The main aim of these events is to have fun obviously, but a part of that fun is feeling like everyone is competing in the same spirit of the event. With that in mind, the cut off is there for a reason and the concept is pretty simple regarding modifications. If the modification involves changing the geometry of the car ie 1992 shock towers give a better/different geometry to the 1991 ones, then they shouldn’t be on the car. A good example of this is the Top force which is now legal for vintage, however top force evo parts that change the geometry of the car are not allowed on your vintage top force. However, if it’s the case that the upgrade is purely a reliability one ie using a 92 slipper on a 91 car to protect the drive train, then it is deemed ok. If the item is both stronger and changes geometry, not allowed

Please look at the attached documents for a list of what cars fit into what category.

Unless specific class requirements state otherwise, the fitting of later model shocks, wheels and tyres and other small parts are acceptable – as sometimes they are simply impossible to find and/or maintain. We need to keep the cost of racing a vintage buggy reasonable.

If a buggy is clearly more Classic than it is Vintage we will be requesting that the participant move their entry to the Classic category. We will look at individual buggy cases should the need arise, as there are too many possibilities for just one document.

DRIVING STANDARDS AND ETIQUETTE:

We understand that a lot of vintage enthusiasts aren’t well seasoned racers, which is why it’s great to get a chance to get everyone out on the track with fellow minded people who all have a respect for these old machines :
• NO SWEARING AT THE MARSHALS – they didn’t crash your car – you did!! It’s ok to talk loudly to attract their attention (they are probably fixated on the cool vintage buggies) – but don’t swear or be aggressive towards them. Remember – you are a marshal too – or will be!!
• If a faster car is coming up to lap you – just move slightly off line - or let them know that you are letting them through. This avoids damage to our precious vintage buggies and allows you, as the slower driver, to learn the lines of the faster driver. Crashing, and taking both of you out, only slows the both of you down…..easier to just be courteous.
• Be ready for your race, the sooner you are ready – the sooner we can start – giving more free time for everyone! We understand that having a chat about the good old days is fun, but we really want to make sure that everyone gets enough racing in. If you intend on entering the maximum 3 classes per day please plan ahead so you have your cars ready and down at the track at the beginning of the round so you can race then marshal and then grab your car ready to race again. We’ve found we lose a lot of time with people having to run back to their tables to grab the next car etc.
• Please don’t be aggressive with your driving or other competitors. We all understand the value of the cars we’ll be running dangerous moves are not worth it.

Other information for this meeting:

During the running of the event, at the end of every round of heats, we will be having approximately 10 to 15 minutes (depending on race schedule) of expression session time. Details of which expression sessions will be run when will be posted closer to the date of the event, please indicate your interest on here so we know if it will be worth running the sessions. Some of the titles for these sessions are:
• "Chainsaw Massacre" – All Chain driven buggies – 2 or 4wd.
• "Heavy Metal" – All “Monster” truck and or “Wild Willy” style buggies
• "Insect Cup" – All buggies named after an insect!!(or amphibians)
• "Beach-combers" – All beach buggy/Sand Rail style buggies – preferably scale looking
• Also we’re happy to accommodate other expression sessions if there’s a category you’d like to see up there
We will be having approximately 4 minutes between each race – as there are lots of us running multiple classes. If we can push that along and do it faster we will – as it will only add more time for expression sessions

On Sunday afternoon we will present the trophy for MVP (Most Vintage Pride). This will be an entirely subjective award which will come down to biggest effort for the weekend so it will encompass thing such as (but not limited to) display vehicles/arrangement, attire, attitude, competing in the spirit of the event, tallest stories about the good old days, rarity of vehicles raced etc. Being No.1 on the track won't make you the MVP. Being No.1 in the pits will! Who will be our first MVP ?

******PLEASE NOTE: IF we have less than 5 entries for any given class 4 weeks before the event, we will have to cancel that class*******

More details on the specific timings of races and their finer details will come in following posts.

ELECTRONIC on-line entries will be opened 2 months out from the event via the Castle Hill Clubs on line facility. *edit * online entries now available go to this address http://www.alycat.com/oed.html and select the vintage festival theres one for Saturday classes and one for the classes running on Sunday

Im sure you're all looking forward to it as much as the Castle Hill committee is, see you there!!
Attached Files

Last edited by NOFX; 08-09-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Hi everyone!!

We’ve had a lot of positive feedback so far but of course this is just a tweak made to all the hard work that people have put in over the years. The festival has been built up as an event and gained a good profile thanks to a lot of effort from Darryn, Baggz, Dan, Warner, Rob and all the Castle Hill crew.

Over the years the rules have been developed to establish some excellent classes that people have responded to well. These classes have been developed through time and effort put in from Daz and others discussing them on the forums and on the phone etc. Interestingly I read a vintage discussion thread from 2009 where the seeds of a hotshot class were suggested and BMT and a others had a lot of input, there was also a suggestion of a similar class for the 2wds which gave birth to the plastic fantastic class.

In the last few years, Castle Hill has become known as the vintage friendly venue and to that extent we’ve ended up with a regular vintage class or two at club meetings thanks to Edwin and Adam keeping in touch with some of the guys, we’ve had Clint, Scott and James rock up to club days with their great cars and of course, Rob always has his weapons ready to roll any week. Where else in the world could you go and see two egresses, a couple of manta rays, an 870c and a Schumacher duking it out or a few astutes, an ultima, a madcap and a losi jrx pro dicing for the win on a club day!!

So the committee would like to thank everyone involved in promoting this niche sector of the sport, especially Daz, for all their efforts and for offering the rules as being available for any club to use. The committee was ready to step up to promote and run the event for 2013. The committee this year decided to tweak a few things based on feedback from a lot of attendees of the meetings and also with the knowledge that the Victorian vintage scene is back up and running, it made sense to align some of the Castle Hill rules with those rules as a few members indicated they were keen to attend interstate meetings

The club is seriously looking forward to holding this meeting, Baggz has been on the blower about sausages, Warner is in charge of the rebuild of the track and the aim is “vintage friendly”, the track should be in great condition as the state titles will have been run only a few weeks before

Cya there

Mikey
Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well said,,
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys.

Really interested in making the trip up to NSW for this event! Will just have to double check it does not fall close to any of the Australian title or Vic state series rounds.

I love the vintage stuff, and looks like my old AE RC10 graphite with stealth trans coversions should be all legal for vintage too.

A few questions though, will there be any tyre restrictions placed on vintage class cars that are running the modern size wheel/tyre combo like my RC10? And if not, will I be ok to use my current era race rubber?

Also, is there any restriction in Vintage 2wd open on the wing used, or again, am I ok to retrofit a wire mount to one of my current of JC 6.5/7 wing's?

Cheers, and can't wait!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Paris

Great to hear from you, it'd be great if you make the trip up, the aim of lining up the rules with Vic was a hope that some might be able to make the trip up

ok, Vintage buggy tyres are open, 2.2 inch rims are fine as is modern rubber

RC10 graphite with stealth is fine

Wings are open too, obviously it needs to fit within normal regulations so as long as it would be legal for current racing, it wouldnt be a problem.

thanks

Mikey
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This sounds like a cool event!

I might just have time to rebuild my RC-10 Graphite Stealth and Tamiya Top Force!

I need and ruling on the following: Top Force - I have an original TF that was raced back in the day and has some Evolution parts, Graphite chassis and shock towers, Hi-Caps. the rest is original, i.e. no light weight diffs etc. Thus is this car classic or vintage?
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Festival Sept 21-22-_mg_6160.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AussieTopForce View Post
I need and ruling on the following: Top Force - I have an original TF that was raced back in the day and has some Evolution parts, Graphite chassis and shock towers, Hi-Caps. the rest is original, i.e. no light weight diffs etc. Thus is this car classic or vintage?
That's actually the example given in the rules above.

A good example of this is the Top force which is now legal for vintage, however top force evo parts that change the geometry of the car are not allowed on your vintage top force.
The shock towers change the geometry.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for all that Mikey.
I'll certainly be trying my best to make the event, and run a few classes too.

One more question though, am I able to cross enter motor and chassis/period classes?

It appears i'm out of luck for 4wd at the moment though, as the only car I have is Ari's old Aussie titles 'Cat 3000', but it appears it may be a little new as yet.

On another note, is there anyone that is chasing vintage or classic period correct tyres up your way? As I have about 5 large boxes full of unopened packets of 'Hot Shoes', Yokomo 'Hot Laps', Losi's and Schumacher off road tyres here (maybe 100 pairs total), and a need of resto 2wd AYK buggy... I'd love to see them all go to one of you guys who'd appreciate them.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 'Paris' View Post
Thanks for all that Mikey.
I'll certainly be trying my best to make the event, and run a few classes too.

One more question though, am I able to cross enter motor and chassis/period classes?

It appears i'm out of luck for 4wd at the moment though, as the only car I have is Ari's old Aussie titles 'Cat 3000', but it appears it may be a little new as yet.
Good question. yes you can enter any combination of classes you like, any era and motor class, just a maximum of 3 on each of the days, so if you're really keen like some of the punters, you could run 6 classes over the weekend as many racers have done in the past.

Indeed, the cat 3000 is too new, what a great car though, i had one in the stock days, it was Brian Goby's old car, it was a jet
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This sounds like a cool event!

I might just have time to rebuild my RC-10 Graphite Stealth and Tamiya Top Force!

Hi David, good to see you found this thread. Your top force would run in the "classic" class with mine ( the red one you recently commented on Tamiya Club). It's an open motor class. By the way that partt number I'm keen to get my hands on is SD5 part of the Mount bag.

Hope to see you at the hill at one these fantastic events. As I said on TC, I'm sure we could assist trying to hook up accommodation given the distance you would travel.

Cheers mate.

Adam
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ajford View Post
Hi David, good to see you found this thread. Your top force would run in the "classic" class with mine ( the red one you recently commented on Tamiya Club). It's an open motor class. By the way that partt number I'm keen to get my hands on is SD5 part of the Mount bag.

Hope to see you at the hill at one these fantastic events. As I said on TC, I'm sure we could assist trying to hook up accommodation given the distance you would travel.

Cheers mate.

Adam
Thanks for the accommodation offer Adam, could discuss behind the scenes, send me a pm! I'll running my 502X at the Interclub challenge on 24th. I'll look for that part and see what I have. i also have some other bits from the Egress days. I'll get it all together and bring it all up to the interclub challenge. "Swap meet" anyone?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
That's actually the example given in the rules above.

The shock towers change the geometry.

Does that mean hi-caps are band on TF Vintage, as original car came with CVAs? Hi-caps are stronger more relaible and a performance enhancer. BTW that Green TF has an Evo rear shock tower.

I can covert the TF back to original shock towers and and FRP Chassis, but the CVAs are long gone!

What's funny is there are probably more Vintage Tamiya's being raced now than back in the day! I remember being the only TF in 4wd Mod until Loui Sola started running one, same with the Egress before the TF was released!

Will be good to see a few running in Sept.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Tech Champion

Does that mean hi-caps are band on TF Vintage, as original car came with CVAs? Hi-caps are stronger more relaible and a performance enhancer.
Again, directly from the first post:

Unless specific class requirements state otherwise, the fitting of later model shocks, wheels and tyres and other small parts are acceptable as sometimes they are simply impossible to find and/or maintain. We need to keep the cost of racing a vintage buggy reasonable.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Have put this in my calendar, would love to get there for this, gonna try my hardest
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
Have put this in my calendar, would love to get there for this, gonna try my hardest
Goodonya Kym! It would be good to meet you. I reckon you have a range large enough to cover most racing classes. The challenge for you will be which 3 classes to run per day.

Cheers mate

Adam

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.