Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2012 AARCMCC EP10 OFR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - April 4 - 9 >

2012 AARCMCC EP10 OFR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - April 4 - 9

2012 AARCMCC EP10 OFR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - April 4 - 9

Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
This is an important question. The currently published rules still have the 6000 mAh capacity limit in them, but I'm lead to believe this won't be the case in the next update.
yes i have been told there is no 6000 limit on lipos now is this true
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I think there is an error on the Stock Spec ESC list. 81020170 (Blue), 81020171 (Blk) are the 120A-SD version of the Hobbywing ESC. The list has them down as 60A-SD. This makes no difference, but if someone is trying to find their ESC on the list then I hope this helps.
It is just a typo on the AARCMCC website. The ROARRacing website shows how it should be. The part numbers are right, just the 60A should be 120A

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737
Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes the limit has been lifted on the batteries and they came into effect as of 2012
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the entry form it states that; "you must be a member of an AARCMCC affiliated electric club". Can I still enter if I am a member of a AARCMCC affiliated I.C. club? I don't see how this could be an issue....
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PACE
On the entry form it states that; "you must be a member of an AARCMCC affiliated electric club". Can I still enter if I am a member of a AARCMCC affiliated I.C. club? I don't see how this could be an issue....
Unfortunately you have to be a member of an electric club.

SOME clubs (Maitland springs to mind) run and are affiliated with both - so being a member there gives you AARCMCC affiliation to IC and electric.

I went through the same thing - except the reverse. I was a member of St Ives - electric only club. I therefore had to join an I.C affiliated club to anable me to run I.C state and national events.

I am sure Mr Cotton will happily go into much more detail - but thats how it worked out for me.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mad dog clarke
Apparently it is true.

The most rediculous move EVER I reckon. Now Stock is just going to be about fresh batts and motors again - even more so than before. We just dont need more than 6000 - unless we start racing 15 or 20 minute finals...........

Wont make much difference to Mod though.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Tech Champion

Basically the EP and IC Sections of AARCMCC are affiliated with IFMAR separately. And the rule book says you have to be affiliated with the Electric section to race an EP OFR event because of that.

If you are looking to cheaply join an electric club Castle Hill onroad membership is $5.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO R/C
Apparently it is true.

The most rediculous move EVER I reckon. Now Stock is just going to be about fresh batts and motors again - even more so than before. We just dont need more than 6000 - unless we start racing 15 or 20 minute finals...........

Wont make much difference to Mod though.

Cheers

Darryn
Are people seriously using close to 6000 mAh in stock? If not, Im not sure that this rule will make any difference other than allowing people to run batts which are now commonplace.

Longer finals - Id be up for that
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Basically the EP and IC Sections of AARCMCC are affiliated with IFMAR separately. And the rule book says you have to be affiliated with the Electric section to race an EP OFR event because of that.

If you are looking to cheaply join an electric club Castle Hill onroad membership is $5.
Ok fair enough. I am enjoying SC racing at Ryde lately so I'll just join that club. Thanks cheers.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ray_munday
Are people seriously using close to 6000 mAh in stock? If not, Im not sure that this rule will make any difference other than allowing people to run batts which are now commonplace.

Longer finals - Id be up for that
My first race in 2WD Stock for ages was this year. After doing a race with it my battery only took 850 mAh, I thought it had false peaked, but apparently not. I was a little under geared, but still.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant to express an opinion on the merits of a capacity cap. Longer races and finals on the other hand, bring it on!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

I dont want to spoil the nats thread with a lengthy discussion on batts etc. That wasnt my intention - and perhaps I should have left it for another thread/time.

Just quickly I will say that with higher capacity comes a higher C rating.

2wd is less of an issue, however in 4wd stock you have to have new batts at the highest C rating possible at the higher levels of competition at State Titles and Nationals etc. It is not that we are using the 6000 mAH - it is the fact that these higher rated packs can deliver the current required for longer without fade. I did not have fresh batts at the last meeting I ran for 4wd - and I could feel the "punch" going off after a couple of minutes. Now I know this could be heat and other factors, however since that event I have tested new pack - guess what - NO FADE. The capacity will allow the batteries to deliver sustained performance at higher ratios for longer. This forces people to overgear (potentially) and risk damaging the motor. It will just take stock back to the late 80's and 90's where it becomes as much a battle of new batts and motors as it does skill.

The only real "control" class now is funnily enough - Modified. Cant possibly use all the battery, cant possibly use all that power even if you didn't have the battery.

As for longer races - HELL YEAH - but I think that's perhaps better for another thread.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 02-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mad dog clarke
Originally Posted by w00kie
Yes the limit has been lifted on the batteries and they came into effect as of 2012
My point is that it is only true if it is in the printed rule book. We cannot have rules that are different to what is published. Not everyone reads RC Tech, and unofficial announcements carry no weight. People will read the published rules and make their preparations based on what they say.

Darryn is absolutely correct about the benefits of higher capacity batteries. When we fully charge a pack it starts off at 8.4V, that voltage drops as a function of capacity. In other words a 3500 mAh pack with 1000 mAh taken out of it will be at a lower voltage than a 6500 mAh pack with 1000 mAh taken out of it.

Darryn is also correct about the age of the packs. Newer packs offer an advantage (they always have). And so some people will be buying new packs for what is the most important meeting of the year. They will want to buy the best packs they can within their budget and within the rules.

The rule book says that general and technical rule changes come into affect on the 1st of January and the 1st of July each year. It's now the 8th of February. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already bought new packs for the 6000 mAh limit based on the assumption that an update to the rule book isn't coming.

Last edited by Radio Active; 02-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RETRO R/C
I dont want to spoil the nats thread with a lengthy discussion on batts etc. That wasnt my intention - and perhaps I should have left it for another thread/time.

Just quickly I will say that with higher capacity comes a higher C rating.

2wd is less of an issue, however in 4wd stock you have to have new batts at the highest C rating possible at the higher levels of competition at State Titles and Nationals etc. It is not that we are using the 6000 mAH - it is the fact that these higher rated packs can deliver the current required for longer without fade. I did not have fresh batts at the last meeting I ran for 4wd - and I could feel the "punch" going off after a couple of minutes. Now I know this could be heat and other factors, however since that event I have tested new pack - guess what - NO FADE. The capacity will allow the batteries to deliver sustained performance at higher ratios for longer. This forces people to overgear (potentially) and risk damaging the motor. It will just take stock back to the late 80's and 90's where it becomes as much a battle of new batts and motors as it does skill.

Cheers

Darryn
That was always going to be the case when they outlawed dynamic timing from stock. It didn't take a soothsayer to foresee that.
Bringing stock back to zero esc timing, just shifted the battlefield from ESCs to motors and batteries.

Anyhoo.. enough on that..

Any news on rules for SCTs?

Cheers
LJ
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes back to the important stuff . we need answers so we can order body's and other stuff for our sct
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Default Weather for St Ives

To change the topic a bit, I thought people might be interested in what weather to expect for the Nationals, so I had a search on the BoM website for the closest weather station and its records.

The closest hit for St Ives was Macquarie Park (Willandra Village): http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066156.shtml

The most important statistic for us is probably 'Mean number of days of rain ≥ 1 mm' because that will tell us what chance there is of a day being significantly affected by rain.

For April that number is 7.2, which rather surprisingly turns out to be lower than for 7 other months! Anyway, 7.2/30 is ~ 1 in 4. The best month weather wise would have been July, but that is still only ~ 1 wet day in 5. March has the worst weather in this part of Sydney with almost 1 wet day in 3.

For interest sake I then went and plugged in a stack of cities around the various states in Australia, and it turns out that April and May are in the middle of the table for this statistic in just about all of them. Whereas every other month turns out to be not so great in at least one State. Though that is relative. The worst month in Canberra, for example, had only 6.6 days of 1mm+.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.