Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series >

2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series

2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Been out for SC for a year now i think...probably longer...

http://prolineracing.com/tires/hole-...m3-soft-tires/

Just not around for truck yet....just use normal Holeshot T in a set compound for truck...
Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Personally I find it amusing when a week before a big event like the nationals a few people start complaining because they can't buy certain tyres from their local hobby shop. And haven't even looked elsewhere in their own state or nation wide. Then they want the tyre to be changed to something else
Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How about a tyre that is a bit longer lasting? If we're serious about saving money.. Supply was a problem at the state titles only because the tyres were pretty much ruined after 1 run.

edit: before anyone asks, yes that means bow ties
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bugle
How about a tyre that is a bit longer lasting? If we're serious about saving money.. Supply was a problem at the state titles only because the tyres were pretty much ruined after 1 run.
I used 1 new set per car for a full day's practice, and then 2 sets for each car for the actual racing. The used sets from racing I re-used at the next club day. I know wear is higher in Mod, but ruined after 1 run is a bit of an exaggeration.

I agree with your point though. If you can find a tyre with good traction that is a little longer lasting, that's the better option.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bugle
AWESOME
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yep that was my point about truck not have hole shot 2.0s. The truck hole shots are good tyres but don't last long enough. I'd be up for bow tyres.

I used 1 new set per car for a full day's practice, and then 2 sets for each car for the actual racing. The used sets from racing I re-used at the next club day. I know wear is higher in Mod, but ruined after 1 run is a bit of an exaggeration.

I agree with your point though. If you can find a tyre with good traction that is a little longer lasting, that's the better option.
Tyre wear at the states was high but then we all wanted good tyres on the car at all times being a big event. I think the hole shot 2s are the ticket for buggy
Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Food for thought:

The situation we have with classes and time in the Club Series is a microcosm of what is happening in electric offroad in general.

If we want to fit in more classes we need to reduce the amount of racing in other classes, and reduce the number of entries.

I'd like to argue that that is the opposite of what we should be doing. We want to concentrate the racers together in the same classes and give us all more racing, closer racing and better graded racing.

This does not mean I think we should stick with just the classes we have now, and spurn any newcomers. It does mean we should think seriously about which classes we want to be racing in offroad electric.

I'd like everyone to think about where we want to be as a sport in 5 years time. How do we decide which classes we should be racing? What criteria do we use?

The ultimate goal for any RC racer starting out should be the World Championships. Any budding young cricketer dreams of the Test team, Tennis players Wimbledon, soccer the World Cup, etc. Those sports all have structures set-up to feed talent to the top of the tree and make the dreams of those sportspeople come true. Of course, for most of us, somewhere along the way we recognise that we are never going to be Test cricketers and just look for an enjoyable game. Somehow these other sports cater for both groups within the one structure. This is what we need to aim for too.

We have two World Championship classes. Modified 2WD Buggy and Modified 4WD Buggy. It makes sense to have 2WD Stock and 4WD Stock to ease people into those classes.

We are free to do what we like with the rest of the space on the programme at CS, State and National titles (and club meetings to a lesser extent).

To fill that gap, we want the class that the most people are able to drive and that will get the most people into the sport. It also needs to offer something different to the other classes, there's no point splitting entries between two very similar classes.

In onroad electric racing the class that fills this thirdspace (if you like) is Mini. It's completely different to everything else in terms of driving style, the cars have realistic bodies (compared to other classes), they are relatively cheap, and they are slow enough for most people to drive. They are a little set-up intensive away from club racing, but that's pretty much the only criticism and it does attract different people to those who race some of the other classes.

So, what is the offroad equivalent of Mini? In 5 years time which thirdspace class do we want to be racing? And what steps should we be taking now to make that happen?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
DJB
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Food for thought:

The situation we have with classes and time in the Club Series is a microcosm of what is happening in electric offroad in general.

If we want to fit in more classes we need to reduce the amount of racing in other classes, and reduce the number of entries.

I'd like to argue that that is the opposite of what we should be doing. We want to concentrate the racers together in the same classes and give us all more racing, closer racing and better graded racing.

This does not mean I think we should stick with just the classes we have now, and spurn any newcomers. It does mean we should think seriously about which classes we want to be racing in offroad electric.

I'd like everyone to think about where we want to be as a sport in 5 years time. How do we decide which classes we should be racing? What criteria do we use?

The ultimate goal for any RC racer starting out should be the World Championships. Any budding young cricketer dreams of the Test team, Tennis players Wimbledon, soccer the World Cup, etc. Those sports all have structures set-up to feed talent to the top of the tree and make the dreams of those sportspeople come true. Of course, for most of us, somewhere along the way we recognise that we are never going to be Test cricketers and just look for an enjoyable game. Somehow these other sports cater for both groups within the one structure. This is what we need to aim for too.

We have two World Championship classes. Modified 2WD Buggy and Modified 4WD Buggy. It makes sense to have 2WD Stock and 4WD Stock to ease people into those classes.

We are free to do what we like with the rest of the space on the programme at CS, State and National titles (and club meetings to a lesser extent).

To fill that gap, we want the class that the most people are able to drive and that will get the most people into the sport. It also needs to offer something different to the other classes, there's no point splitting entries between two very similar classes.

In onroad electric racing the class that fills this thirdspace (if you like) is Mini. It's completely different to everything else in terms of driving style, the cars have realistic bodies (compared to other classes), they are relatively cheap, and they are slow enough for most people to drive. They are a little set-up intensive away from club racing, but that's pretty much the only criticism and it does attract different people to those who race some of the other classes.

So, what is the offroad equivalent of Mini? In 5 years time which thirdspace class do we want to be racing? And what steps should we be taking now to make that happen?

SCT.

Completly different in driving style - buckets of lead with cheescutter tires

Relatively cheap - LHS stock a brushless RTR RS SC10 Monster energy for $429. Even comes with a rear set of subcultures to get you racing.

Slow enough for most people to drive - whether it be unboosted 10.5 or turbo 13.5 it takes a bit of practise to wheel one of these beasts but practise for a bit and you wont wipe the grin off your face. (try the keyhole turn at castle hill... try drifting that with a set of half worn M4 bowties. I spent many packs drifting/practising steering into the corner. Excellent!)

A little sensitive to setup - yes true, but put it on the track and run it or put it on a setup station it will still be driveable with a decent set of rear tires.

As for where the class will be in 5 years time? Well short course has last 2 at the very least (I remember first seeing this 'tanks' in 2009 at Rydes CS demo day). I have a feeling it could definatly last 5 years and the rest!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Really the R/C world championships is more relevant to State and National title die hards.

I'd chance a guess that 80% of new drivers wouldn't care for the WC, because the WC does not include SCT, and SCT is what they drive to enjoy R/C.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

When I play soccer at an organised club I play exactly the same game they play at the World Cup, and I enjoy it.

Those of us who race buggys enjoy that too. Any RC class is enjoyable if competed in with the right spirit, and with sufficient competition.

If something is a national or state title class people will want to race it at club and intermediate level too. That always happens with motor classes, with chassis classes, with everything. It's the reason why you end up with a hopelessly split club racing scene if national motor classes don't make sense for the majority of club racers.

The national classes have to reflect the WC classes, to give those title aspirants hope, and because we are obliged. Feeder classes to these make perfect sense too. This is pretty much always going to be the case, and it doesn't really matter if 80% of new drivers have never heard of the WCs, because a national racing scene will always be dictated to a fair degree by the WCs, in just the same way which events are run at an athletics meet are dictated by which are competitive events at the Olympics or WCs in that sport.

There is some space left over though, where we can run a class that isn't a WC class. This is what we can change and it is where we need to focus our attention.

Up till now that class has been Stadium Truck. The question I'm trying to get people to answer here is: is Stadium Truck the right class to fill this gap moving forward?

There seems to be a good case for SCT right now, but if we don't look at the big picture then the question of which class to run becomes a "Which class do you and your club like best?" I'm just trying to frame the situation in terms of that big picture (of which the WC classes are an inextricable part) and get people thinking "Which class is best for the sport?" instead.

Last edited by Radio Active; 11-29-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tom87
+1 for control tyre.
-1 for control tyre.

Originally Posted by Peli
Been out for SC for a year now i think...probably longer...

http://prolineracing.com/tires/hole-...m3-soft-tires/
Holeshot is a rubbish tire for SCT, they don't last at all, and if the temp is high the lugs just shear off. SCT needs a bigger lug such as the new blockades.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerEd
Holeshot is a rubbish tire for SCT, they don't last at all, and if the temp is high the lugs just shear off. SCT needs a bigger lug such as the new blockades.
i was just saying there was a holeshot 2 for SCT.....
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
When I play soccer at an organised club I play exactly the same game they play at the World Cup, and I enjoy it.

Those of us who race buggys enjoy that too. Any RC class is enjoyable if competed in with the right spirit, and with sufficient competition.

If something is a national or state title class people will want to race it at club and intermediate level too. That always happens with motor classes, with chassis classes, with everything. It's the reason why you end up with a hopelessly split club racing scene if national motor classes don't make sense for the majority of club racers.

The national classes have to reflect the WC classes, to give those title aspirants hope, and because we are obliged. Feeder classes to these make perfect sense too. This is pretty much always going to be the case, and it doesn't really matter if 80% of new drivers have never heard of the WCs, because a national racing scene will always be dictated to a fair degree by the WCs, in just the same way which events are run at an athletics meet are dictated by which are competitive events at the Olympics or WCs in that sport.

There is some space left over though, where we can run a class that isn't a WC class. This is what we can change and it is where we need to focus our attention.

Up till now that class has been Stadium Truck. The question I'm trying to get people to answer here is: is Stadium Truck the right class to fill this gap moving forward?

There seems to be a good case for SCT right now, but if we don't look at the big picture then the question of which class to run becomes a "Which class do you and your club like best?" I'm just trying to frame the situation in terms of that big picture (of which the WC classes are an inextricable part) and get people thinking "Which class is best for the sport?" instead.
Loaded question Daniel, it is obviously SCT.

The problem is that the some clubs encourage them and some don't (by that I don't mean discourage), the clubs that are encouraging them, Ryde, Maitland, Lismore and others are growing and growing well. So how do you convince the non-SCT clubs to drop a class that they kind of race at a club level in favour of a class that they don't run at all at a club level, so that the clubs who run SCT can keep their members happy? I say you squeeze everybody in for a year or two and see which way the cards fall, one of the classes will not survive and I think I can guess which one. If that means you have to drop a heat in order to achieve that then that is the price of progress.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Default AARCMCC December Newsletter

Affiliated Clubs, State Bodies and other interested Parties,

As another busy season draws to a close, I thought it prudent to end the year with some updates and news.

2012 Rules

The current rule set will be updated with the changes made with voting this year, as well as so items that were raised during the 2011 Nationals in Perth, and some minor fixes.
Some items to note..............
Definition of a wet rack updated.
The 6000Mah rule will be lifted.
30 day rule applied to the ESC list
AARCMCC approved motors added.
Clarifying the finals definition of a tie break.
Clarification of members at the members meeting.
Clarification of members of a State / Club jury
Clarification to Rule Changes.

This will be sent out shortly for perusal, so that we can have them updated for the 2012 season.

2012 EP10 OFR National Championships

Applications for the 2012 EP10 OFR Nationals were received from 2 NSW clubs last month, and after a vote by the remaining NSW clubs as to their preferences, Official notification was sent out yesterday.
The host club for 2012 will be St Ives Radio Control Car Club (SIRCCC) and it will be held at the St Ives Showgrounds, April 4th to 9th, 2012.
Details will be published next year, with announcements on Classes/Days, Demo Classes, Timetable & Control Tyres to be made early in the New Year.
Stay Tuned!

Short Course Truck Rules

With the growing demand for a more detailed SCT rule set, we will be recommencing a draft for an AARCMCC set to be published soon.
If anyone has any input, please feel free to drop me a line.
At this stage, we will be basing the initial draft on the ROAR set, with some amendments to suit our own situation.

The 2 classes being considered are
2WD - 10.5 BL & Approved ESC (Blinky mode)
4WD – Pro Open Class

We wish you all a merry Xmas and a safe New Year.

Regards
Gavin Bruce
AARCMCC EP10 OFR
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Umm.. Which clubs voted on the nats venue? Pretty good effort to get a vote out of a club without the secretary of the club knowing anything about it

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.