Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November > 2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November

2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hello Toby,

Here is my spin regarding the mini class and control tyres for the Nats.

As you have stated you don't run mini and are after advice. The Rules do not say you have to have a control tyre in mini, just say you can.

So far at the ACT Titles and NSW Titles we have not used a control tyre in this sanctioned class. This is also the same for the club Challenge rounds this year.

All of the mini drivers have a stock of racing tyres which they use and test prior to the events. We do know that the Ride 3035 front and the Cross rear will be a good starting combination. These tyres are all 55mm in diameter. On a large track like Moorebank or Kambah we have found a 60D tyre on the front,(Ride or Tamiya), work well and give good car speed. The rear can be either Cross, Pit Shimizu, Spice or Sweep. This all comes back to car setup.

The fastest wearing mini tyres are the Sweep and HPI X patterns. No one uses X-patterns on outside tracks here in the east, because they are slow and wear too quickly.

If you are going to look at a control tyre then you will have to purchase the rims, inserts and tyres and police them as the host club. This will be your clubs decision. I will say that if the wrong control tyre combination is chosen, then some from the east will not attend and it will also detract form the class's racing.

Yes, I do agreee that by selecting controlled tyres for the event, you are trying to make things even, however the fast guy's will always be fast. Perhaps we want to put a cap on the size of the battery we use in the car also. You can get bigger than a 4200 LIpo into a mini with no alterations to the chassis.

My thoughts are to leave the mini tyre open and let the mini racers choose there own. If people are whining about the price of Tamiya mini tyres, then don't use them. The only time they are used are when we race on carpet. I would hate to think how much I have invested in mini tyres and I always come back to the same tyres. Cross and Rides.

Perhaps you should talk to the guys from RCMini net they used the Sweeps for the Mini Nats. I think you will find that most attendees for that event were from Vic with only a small handfull from other States.

The control tyre, if you go that route, may determine how many entries you get for that class. Not trying to be negative, just being a realist.

Anyway my thoughts.

Calvin.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

For our Mini class at the SA State titles last year we had a control tyre and it was great for the class. The club went with the same Ride/Cross combination Greg mentioned and no one complained and the fast guys were still fast. If i was planning on coming over to this i would be voting for a control tyre IE the Ride/Cross combination. If you have a system set up for gluing and scrutineering your tyres, adding another class to the mix is easy and not all that time consuming especially as anyone serious at a nationals is going to be there early and organised.

Not being negative but Your 10 sticker idea sounds like a scrutineer's nightmare.

Keep it simple and the racers will come.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Before deciding on the controlled tyre for mini, IF you go that way, please ensure they are tested on the track surface and work. You will need to get these tested by the fast and slow drivers to ensure that they work on mini's with different car setups and driver abilities.

Ben,

Have you finally seen the light and now participate in the premier on road class? The more the merrier.

My thoughts.

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 06-30-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

My thoughts were more from a clubs perspective on having hassle free scrutineering and an even playing field for the event by taking out the umpteenth million alternative's to the tyre, wheel and rim combinations in mini. The Ride/Cross combo has worked pretty much everywhere else, i doubt the Perth track is going to be any different.

Last edited by Benzaah; 06-30-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Toby,

If you are going to use a controlled tyre in mini, these need to be considered:

1. Availability.

2. Cost

3. Tyres, inserts and rims the same for everyone

4. Ease of Scrutineering

5. Temp rating of tyres, ( no point if it is hot using a Cross 24 Rear or Sweep 25).

6. Work on your racing surface.

I think most agree that a Ride 3035 front with a 5mm insert and a Cross with the same insert will work. The rear Cross can be either the Medium or Hard with the square edge.

Just some more ideas.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Time to weigh in on the Mini tire debate, this may be long so sorry in advance....

I have run just about every tire combination on the Bayswater track to see what works, and the 10 wheel and tire set rule will simply not work using HPI or Sweep rubber, especially if the conditions are hot like they were at the States.

At the State Titles I tried HPI X-Patterns out of desperation as I didn't have enough wheels and rubber for the entire event. Whilst I managed to match my usual lap times (low 23's/high 22's), the lightly scrubbed X-Patterns were completely destroyed by the abrasive surface, and I blew the centre out of one as the car went over the line to finish the heat. Track temp was 65 degrees according to my heat gun.

It should be noted that my car wasn't pushing the front end or spinning up the tires, the combination of surface and heat just ripped them apart.

On a cooler day (26 degree track temp) I ran Sweep 40's to try them out, and while the car was a rocket through the corners and felt really nice and grippy, again the surface really tore into them, and they were toast after 2 and a half heats, with a noticeable performance drop off. Even though the track was gritty and un-prepared compared to the States the car was still capable of doing 23 secs dead on the Sweeps.

Tamiya rubber? Dont even bother on this particular track, no grip, no longevity, no lap speed... I have a full box of Tamiya rubber that is paper thin through the tread face after one heat if anyone wants to inspect them..

My trusty Ride 3035's have lasted meet after meet before dropping off, and whilst not the fastest tires, have not needed changing every heat to get the same performance out of them, on average they are 0.4secs slower around Bayswater than the Sweeps. It should be noted that some Ride tires have arrived with branded side walls, while others have been unmarked

If anyone had Cross front rubber in stock I'd try them but they seem a bit popular at the moment. I usually run either Cross, Ride, or Sweep soft rears, with no real difference in grip. When it was super hot at the States I threw on my Ride Mediums on the back and they worked in the morning, and went to 3035's on the back when the track was hot enough to melt skin in the afternoon (was a bit skatey but controllable).

The only other tires to try are some Pit Shimizu's on my car, which I will try out and compare to the others, but I think going for a control tire based on sidewall branding is a very bad idea, as there really isn't any decent wearing quick tire that fits the bill.

I know a couple of people swear by the X-Patterns over here, but they're either replacing them every run in competition, or idling around the track so they don't shred them....

Last edited by Widowmaker; 07-20-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Cant spell for s$#%t
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Ride also has a 60D tyre with similar rubber to the 3035. It is branded and lasts well

I made a suggestion to the organisers to maybe control just the front tyre like 2WD offroad controls just the drive tyre. I also gave them a good price based on this offer but they replied saying that they were most likely going to go open tyre for the event
Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Ride also has a 60D tyre with similar rubber to the 3035. It is branded and lasts well

I made a suggestion to the organisers to maybe control just the front tyre like 2WD offroad controls just the drive tyre. I also gave them a good price based on this offer but they replied saying that they were most likely going to go open tyre for the event
If you can get enough stock of the 60D RIDE H1's for the Nationals it may be a winner
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
If you can get enough stock of the 60D RIDE H1's for the Nationals it may be a winner
They are a discontinued tyre but I have more than enough stock as I bought the whole last shipment of them
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Time to weigh in on the Mini tire debate, this may be long so sorry in advance....

I have run just about every tire combination on the Bayswater track to see what works, and the 10 wheel and tire set rule will simply not work using HPI or Sweep rubber, especially if the conditions are hot like they were at the States.

At the State Titles I tried HPI X-Patterns out of desperation as I didn't have enough wheels and rubber for the entire event. Whilst I managed to match my usual lap times (low 23's/high 22's), the lightly scrubbed X-Patterns were completely destroyed by the abrasive surface, and I blew the centre out of one as the car went over the line to finish the heat. Track temp was 65 degrees according to my heat gun.

It should be noted that my car wasn't pushing the front end or spinning up the tires, the combination of surface and heat just ripped them apart.

On a cooler day (26 degree track temp) I ran Sweep 40's to try them out, and while the car was a rocket through the corners and felt really nice and grippy, again the surface really tore into them, and they were toast after 2 and a half heats, with a noticeable performance drop off. Even though the track was gritty and un-prepared compared to the States the car was still capable of doing 23 secs dead on the Sweeps.

Tamiya rubber? Dont even bother on this particular track, no grip, no longevity, no lap speed... I have a full box of Tamiya rubber that is paper thin through the tread face after one heat if anyone wants to inspect them..

My trusty Ride 3035's have lasted meet after meet before dropping off, and whilst not the fastest tires, have not needed changing every heat to get the same performance out of them, on average they are 0.4secs slower around Bayswater than the Sweeps. It should be noted that some Ride tires have arrived with branded side walls, while others have been unmarked

If anyone had Cross front rubber in stock I'd try them but they seem a bit popular at the moment. I usually run either Cross, Ride, or Sweep soft rears, with no real difference in grip. When it was super hot at the States I threw on my Ride Mediums on the back and they worked in the morning, and went to 3035's on the back when the track was hot enough to melt skin in the afternoon (was a bit skatey but controllable).

The only other tires to try are some Pit Shimizu's on my car, which I will try out and compare to the others, but I think going for a control tire based on sidewall branding is a very bad idea, as there really isn't any decent wearing quick tire that fits the bill.

I know a couple of people swear by the X-Patterns over here, but they're either replacing them every run in competition, or idling around the track so they don't shred them....
That sure sounds pretty simple, would want to make it over complicated with a control tyre....
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

I was of the opinion that the organisers do not want to purchase the control tyre for the mini class, but have the drivers purchase there own before the event. I am not sure how you would police the insert inside the tyre this way. If is a control tyre, then you would want to use a control insert and rim.

I would never run Cross tyres on the front, they do not work. We only ever place them on the rear.

I am happy to race with the open rubber tyre for mini as the option. That way I can use what suits my retarded driving style.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys,

Can anyone help with accomodation places for the Nationals I want to get in early.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by driver24 View Post
Hey guys,

Can anyone help with accomodation places for the Nationals I want to get in early.
Jump onto our new website
www.wcmrc.asn.au

http://wcmrc.asn.au/accommodation.html

These hotels are within 5 min of airport and 5 min of the track.

The track is only a 5 minute drive from the airport
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

What class's will be running?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by driver24 View Post
What class's will be running?
AARCMCC Sanctioned classes ie stock, modified, 1/12th and mini will be offered and F1 will be run as a demonstration class

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service