** CHALLENGE CUP 2011 **

Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Those who ran boosted 21.5 will be able to run 540/non-boosted 21.5 this year. Equally they will be able to run Stock (boosted 17.5). Doubtless some people will choose one, and some the other.

Non-boosted 21.5/540 is now the base level class that will cater both to newer drivers and those older drivers whose reflexes have dulled (without meaning to offend anyone, this is the group that boosted 21.5 was mainly catering for). Those drivers racing in this class considered to have Rookie or Novice status will be eligible for a separate trophy on the day. Competing in the same class with more seasoned drivers will allow the newer drivers to gauge their progress against them and gain confidence.

It is true that the newer drivers are now less "protected" and that drivers can set their own level in choosing Stock or 21.5/540, but this isn't so different to how it works at most clubs anyway, and that system worked well offroad when there were enough racers for 3 motor classes many years ago.

It is important to remember though that the novice level drivers are only competing with each other for the Novice (or Rookie or whatever Trevor chooses to call it) trophy. Hopefully Trevor will have that status posted on the time sheets, so they can gauge how they are going against other new comers. Also, remember that new drivers will be graded with each other to begin with in the heats, so you'll be racing each other in heats -- no different to how you are now.

There may be room to provide some tweaks to this system depending on how it goes. Offering medallions for the top n Rookie finishers for instance, or following IC's lead and running an additional consolation final for Rookie level drivers who don't make the A, are possibilities that could be considered. We should wait and see how the system as written works first though.

Hi Daniel
I might be old and my reflexes are slow and i can't see as well and have newies pass me but 21.5 non-timed is still to fast for me

Cheers
Dean(Bones)