Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2020 Sydney RC (Ryde) Challenge EP10 Off road >

2020 Sydney RC (Ryde) Challenge EP10 Off road

2020 Sydney RC (Ryde) Challenge EP10 Off road

Old 02-10-2020, 11:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2020 Sydney RC (Ryde) Challenge EP10 Off road

Background:

The sport has evolved significantly over the last couple of decades and the skillset and knowledge required to compete at regular meetings has risen markedly e.g. large jumps require great skill, Lipo batteries require knowledge and modern cars are highly tuneable but at the expense of a bewildering array of options. In addition the speed achieved with modern cars and motors further lifts the skillset required, making the sport less accessible to those not as committed. Our goal for this series is to make reduce the barriers to entry, to bring new people in that currently don’t have an option to race their vintage, re release, ‘superseded’ or non-race car(s) on a regular basis as well as attract those who may find the regular track layout too intimidating.

Race Series

Three standalone meetings are planned on the following dates:

1. 22nd March 2020 - practice 10am, race start 11am (rain day 28th March)

2. 18th July 2020 night race practice 3pm, race 4pm (rain day 1st August)

3. 17th October 2020 night race practice 3pm, race 4pm (rain day 1st November)

Note the regular club classes will not be run on these days.

Classes

Class 1: Tamiya/Kyosho Production class (27 turn silver can motor Nimh or Nicads only - no Lipo's). This is for pre 1989 1/10th scale off road buggies. Cars are meant to be built 'per the manual' with no hop ups (except ball bearings). Excluded are buggies that made the 1985 or 1987 or later A mains in the world championships, such as Schumacher Cat, RC10, Yokomo 870c, Optima Mid and Ultima. Also excluded are the re re Turbo Optima re re and Turbo Scorpion. Those vehicles can race in class 2. More details in the attachment.

Class 2a: 2wd Vintage and Rear Motor Racer. Open to all vintage rear motor and new/modern rear motor 2wd buggies, lipo's allowed. Drag out your old rear motor 2wd and have fun on a track that will be modified to suit the rear motor cars. Buggies released on or before 31st Dec 1997 can run the Tamiya Sports Tuned motor. Latter buggies can choose between 27 turn Silver can, Tamiya Torque tuned or 25.5 brushless motor in blinky mode. Rear motor buggies only. If your buggy is eligible to race in the Castle Hill Vintage Festival in Classic or Vintage classes you can run the same car with a Sports tuned motor.

Class 2b: 4wd Vintage and older Race buggies (up to 31st December 2009 – see list). 4wd Buggies released on or before 31st Dec 1996 can run the Tamiya Sports Tuned motor. Latter buggies can choose between 27 turn Silver can, Tamiya Torque tuned or 25.5 brushless motor in blinky mode. Lipo's allowed. If your buggy is eligible to race in the Castle Hill Vintage Festival in Classic or Vintage classes you can run the same car with a Sports tuned motor.Refer list in the attachment

Class 3: Novice - any 1/10th or smaller scale car. Note the track will be easier to drive than the normal track, so we highly encourage you to bring along any children keen to have a go.

Class 4: Stadium Truck (Vintage and modern rear motor only truck running 17.5 brushless in blinky mode, Lipo's allowed). This is for rear motor stadium trucks of any age. Dust off your old or not so old rear motor Stadium Truck and have a blast around the track. We will bypass the big jumps, so should avoid damage to your truck. If you are short course kind of person the club has a Short Course truck class at it's regular meetings.

Class 5: Fun/Ready to Run - Got a 1/10th or smaller scale basher and you are keen to have a go? Then bring it along and have a go on the track.

Track:

To make the track easier to drive the regular track layout will be altered with sections to bypass the 2 lots of jumps. The track will be less punishing with the two sets of jumps bypassed. This will cut down on marshalling requirements and protect the more fragile cars with rare or hard to find parts. It will also make it much easier for Novice racers both to drive and reduce marshalling incidents.

We will have entries up on RCSignup soon and post more details, also refer the attachment.

Proudly Sponsored by Crazy Hobbies - who will donate prizes and raffle items

Feel free to ask questions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tamiya Classic.pdf (1.10 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by Patrase; 03-02-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Change cut off dates for 4wd class
Old 02-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Updated 4wd list

We have changed the 4wd cut off date to 31 December 2009.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This sounds awesome!

I assume we need to run the same vehicle in every heat of the class? i.e. no alternating between XX, JRX, XXX for each race/qualifier in class 2a?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Scott,

You can alternate for sure! I am probably going to do the same with my Topcat and Cougar 2. Just make sure you use the same transponder. For you it will be a good chance to see which one is the best on track. Also note that in order to create parity there are different motors for different vehicles, the XX and JRX2 can run the sports tuned motor and the XXX can either run a Tamiya torque tuned, 27 turn silver can (eg Johnson motor) or 25.5 brushless in blinky mode.

Last edited by Patrase; 02-13-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Entries are now open via rcsignup.

any questions or problems let me know
Old 03-01-2020, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Patrase View Post
Entries are now open via rcsignup.

any questions or problems let me know
In case you're looking for it, here's the link: RCSignup Link

Get into it, vintage guys!

Alex
Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey everyone sorry for last minute change but we are now holding the first race on the 22nd of March during the day
Old 03-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Hey everyone sorry for last minute change but we are now holding the first race on the 22nd of March during the day
Do you have a start time and an approximate finish time
thanks.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, still waiting on confirmation from the club, but probably practice from 10am and racing from 11am, with finish hopefully by 4pm. But keep an eye on things, as it depends on numbers. It's a very relaxed meet, so if you can't make the whole day that's fine, just participate when you can
Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey racers,
Some people are having trouble with rcsignup. If you can’t get it to work please try later. If that fails please comment below that you will be entering on the day, listing your classes you wish to enter
Old 03-11-2020, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Hey racers,
Some people are having trouble with rcsignup. If you can’t get it to work please try later. If that fails please comment below that you will be entering on the day, listing your classes you wish to enter
Hey just wondering if the event is still going ahead, thanks.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Hi, still waiting on confirmation from the club, but probably practice from 10am and racing from 11am, with finish hopefully by 4pm. But keep an eye on things, as it depends on numbers. It's a very relaxed meet, so if you can't make the whole day that's fine, just participate when you can
Hey just wondering if i should dust off my vintage stuff and get it ready. i can only see 9 entries on rcsignup and you still don't have a confirmed start time posted on here (only a probably) or a response as to
if this is still going ahead.. please advise....
thanks.

Last edited by TRFHORNET; 03-12-2020 at 11:09 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TRFHORNET View Post
Hey just wondering if i should dust off my vintage stuff and get it ready. i can only see 9 entries on rcsignup and you still don't have a confirmed start time posted on here (only a probably) or a response as to
if this is still going ahead.. please advise....
thanks.
No need to go and dust off your vintage just yet as the event has been cancelled unfortunately. They did make a post about it on facebook but looks they have forgotten to come back on here for the ones that don't do fb
Old 03-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Sincere apologies but as per the FB post it has been cancelled. We plan to go ahead with the other 2 events. Very disappointing as personally I had spent a long time on this; drafting up rules, consulting with others, driving to the track to discuss changes(I live over an hour away) and prepared 2 cars for the meet. I even had a rare Schumacher part copied so it could be 3D printed and had a mate making me additional parts for it. Plus we had 5 novices confirmed - which would have been excellent. We will be back for the next two events.

In terms of numbers we had a lot of people who were going to enter manually because they don’t get on with rcsignup. I expected we would have had 5 in novice (maybe more, but 5 had confirmed) plus 3 heats close to full, being Class 1 Tamiya (maybe even an A and B races for this) and both the 2wd and 4wd classes both well populated. So if we get the same numbers next time it will be a really good meet and definitely worth getting your vintage car out.

Last edited by Patrase; 03-13-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any chance of allowing LiPo in class 1, as limiting to NiMh may exclude some from entering, I know of a couple which would enter if it was not for the non-lipo rule

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.