Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2018 Hills Offroad Vintage Festival 10-11 November >

2018 Hills Offroad Vintage Festival 10-11 November

Like Tree3Likes

2018 Hills Offroad Vintage Festival 10-11 November

Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 2018 Hills Offroad Vintage Festival 10-11 November

Hello all Vintage RC car enthusiasts!! The Hills Off Road RC committee is proud to announce that it will be hosting the 2018 Vintage Festival on November 10 & 11. November seems like a good fit for the festival going forward to keep it out of school holidays and away from the other big events going on during the year so mark it in the calendar, book flights/cars/leave/brownie points, lock yourself in the man cave/garage/workshop/dining room and get wrenching!!. And don't worry about the name change for the club, its still all the same people/location, we're still located at Field 4, Fred Caterson Reserve, Caterson Drive, Castle Hill.

Just a quick note that I acknowledge that the Sunday of racing falls on Remembrance day. We will pause racing at 11am to observe 1 minute of silence to pay our respects to those who lost their lives protect our country

I’m happy to say that the committee for 2018 is as supportive of vintage racing as our previous committees have been and the track crew during the last set of track work actually created a permanent cut-out to bypass the main jump section for us to use (this will be used for all classes) We’ll also setup the bypass of the steps for plastic fantastic, misfits/pipe frame, monster truck and hotshot and leave it to a vote of the drivers in purist which way they want to go. I want to say a personal thank you to Peter the club president and Chad & Brad who are the brains behind the track, all have been very pro-active in ensuring that the vintage guys are looked after and the cut-out to bypass the jumps was drafted a while ago when planning the latest layout change

We received some feedback regarding the 2 demo classes we trialled last year (Rally & Monster truck) so it looks like we won’t be running Rally this year but there was a lot of positivity about Monster truck so it’s included in the schedule as a proper class. Steve J from Vic has made a few tweaks to the rule set to cover what is quite a diverse range of vehicles including 2wd & 4wd and twin motor and 4 wheel steer. It looks like it’ll be a fun class!! Check out the guidelines for the details of the class. As an additional incentive, Monster Truck will not count to your total classes for the day. We've also put out there a request we'd received regarding running a class for newer 4wds including Losi XX4/XXX4, Yokomo MX4 s, Cat 3000s etc and we have received a lot of positive feedback so we'll offer that as a demo class this year

The other change that worked well was allowing both classic and vintage buggies to compete in the open class, so we will continue that this year. The other feedback i noted from the classic class was that the speed from the sport tuned motors is pretty good and i didn't have anyone complain or concerned about the motor's longevity etc so the sport tuned motor will stay

2wd Stadium truck will move back to Saturday (2wd Day) and Monster truck will be run on the Sunday (4wd Day)

So the thread isn’t such a massive read, attached to the opening post is the Vintage Festival guidelines which should help you work out where your car can fit in and which motors etc can be used. If the answers aren’t in the guideline please send me a pm or ask in here and someone will know. I will update this first post with any new information as well as post in the thread

As usual I’ve also attached the eligible buggy/truck lists. Again if there’s a buggy you have and you feel it should be on the list, please get in touch and if its eligible, we’ll add it.

We always mention that if you have multiple cars eligible for a class, please feel free to run them all during the day, if you have 6 x 2wd vintage cars setup, run a different one each race! And if you have too many vintage cars to run, put a sport tuned motor in one and run it in classic

Entry fees will be $20 for the 1st class, $15 for the second and $10 per additional class after that, you can enter up to 3 classes per day. If you bring your kids (16 and under), they're just $10 per class.

Handout 540s are available for $20 per motor. Please order your motors when you enter the event. Thanks to Ari at Northern Beaches Hobby Centre and Hobby Express for arranging the supply

The BBQ will be running for lunch as per usual and cold drinks will be available all day and we’ll update you closer to the date if we’ll be able to run breakfast as well

Drivers meeting 730am

******Racing will START at 8am SHARP on BOTH days******

The events to be held on Saturday are:

• 2wd Vintage Stock

• 2wd Open (Vintage or Classic)

• 2wd Classic

• 2wd Purist Stock

• Plastic fantastic

• 2wd Stadium Truck

The events to be held on Sunday are:

• 4wd Stock Vintage - 540

• 4wd Open (Vintage or Classic)

• 4wd Classic - Sport Tuned

• 4wd Misfits/Pipe Frame - 540

• Demo 4wd Outlaw Class - 540 (Buggies up to 2003)

• Monster Truck Class

• Hotshot

We will be having approximately 4 minutes between each race – as there are lots of us running multiple classes

MVP - On Sunday afternoon we will present the trophy for MVP (Most Vintage Pride). This will be an entirely subjective award which will come down to biggest effort for the weekend so it will encompass thing such as (but not limited to) display vehicles/arrangement, attire, attitude, competing in the spirit of the event, tallest stories about the good old days, rarity of vehicles raced etc. Being No.1 on the track won't make you the MVP. Being No.1 in the pits will! Wiggy took it out in 2013, Stephen James in 2014, Pete Wagner in 2015, Dean (Captain Splatt) in 2016, Scotty Hogan in 2017, who will pick up the prize in 2018?

We’ll also have trophies for concourse as well as our “coolest car raced” awards on each day

The festival has been growing with each year. We love seeing the variety of cars being raced and put on display. If you’ve never entered a festival before, give it a go!! There’s a friendly atmosphere and everyone is happy for others to check out their cars and have a chat and it isn’t a race for sheep stations on the track with plenty of fun classes in the mix allowing you to run the beginner based models such as the Frog or Hotshot against similar style cars. If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or send me a pm, we’re only too happy to help and offer advice/assistance.

I genuinely appreciate feedback/thoughts from you, if you have any ideas of a cool class, we can always do like we did last year and run a demo class to see how its received and go from there

Cheers and we look forward to seeing you all there!!

Mikey and the Hills Off Road RC Committee
AHR43 and Tarmac like this.

Last edited by NOFX; 08-23-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Sunday 11th
Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Hey all, The vintage enduro has been run, so now its time to focus on the festival. I'll be getting entries open soon so keep an eye out, i'll post the link

I've had a query about maybe running a demo class for 4wds up to the end of 2003. This will include Losi XX4/XXX4, Cat 2000/3000, Predator, Yokomo MX4 and others so i'll be happy to take feedback on that. i acknowledge that these aren't typical vintage buggies, but they are 15 or more years old and I'm happy to put feedback i receive out to see what sort of response i get. The basic idea is those late 90's early 2000's 4wds and the cutoff of 2003 rules out the Jconcepts BJ4 and Associated B44

Cheers

Mikey
Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default DEMO CLASS 4WD

Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
Hey all, The vintage enduro has been run, so now its time to focus on the festival. I'll be getting entries open soon so keep an eye out, i'll post the link

I've had a query about maybe running a demo class for 4wds up to the end of 2003. This will include Losi XX4/XXX4, Cat 2000/3000, Predator, Yokomo MX4 and others so i'll be happy to take feedback on that. i acknowledge that these aren't typical vintage buggies, but they are 15 or more years old and I'm happy to put feedback i receive out to see what sort of response i get. The basic idea is those late 90's early 2000's 4wds and the cutoff of 2003 rules out the Jconcepts BJ4 and Associated B44

Cheers

Mikey
Hi Mikey count me in with my losi but keep it 540 thanks Rob
Old 08-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by go fast View Post
Hi Mikey count me in with my losi but keep it 540 thanks Rob
Good stuff Rob, and i like the sound of keeping it 540
Rutters likes this.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
Good stuff Rob, and i like the sound of keeping it 540
540 sounds good to me too, good idea.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

We've received a lot of positive feedback about the demo class for "Outlaw 4wd" for buggies up to 2003 so we'll give it a run this year. if anyone has a better name for the class, please put your suggestion up

Cheers

Mikey
Old 09-13-2018, 03:56 AM
Tech Elite

Hey all

Entries are open .Get them in soon so we can confirm the classes have enough numbers

www.alycat.com/oed

Cheers

Michael
Old 09-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are we using the short track for all events Michael?
Old 09-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wheel Nut View Post
Are we using the short track for all events Michael?
Hi Dave

Yes all classes will use the dedicated vintage short-cut to skip the large jump section. As with last year, we will also set up a short cut for the step section too which will be used by the plastic fantastic, misfits and hotshot class and as usual we'll have a vote in the morning for purist to see which way they want to go.

Cheers

Michael
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Ok entries are still open. Theres no entries in either of the open classes so I've not ordered trophies for them, many others are borderline. Please get them in so we can plan catering etc.

www.alycat.com/oed
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Sorry

Hi Mickey,
I am sorry. I didn't realise entering a Lunchbox in the monster truck class would scare off all entries. I should have waited. Admittedly it will be a scary beast with bearings and bits of foam cut just so the 1.0 atmosphere air shocks doesn't give a +/- 10% bumpsteer variation depending on terrain... It will also feature the mighty power of a unbroken silver can if Rob brings one this Sunday... It's not finished yet, but it will surely rulez.
Once again sorry,
Michael

Old 10-17-2018, 03:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default Rob bring silver can!

Can Rob bring silver cans... Too many cars, too few silver cans...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by semper View Post
Hi Mickey,
I am sorry. I didn't realise entering a Lunchbox in the monster truck class would scare off all entries. I should have waited. Admittedly it will be a scary beast with bearings and bits of foam cut just so the 1.0 atmosphere air shocks doesn't give a +/- 10% bumpsteer variation depending on terrain... It will also feature the mighty power of a unbroken silver can if Rob brings one this Sunday... It's not finished yet, but it will surely rulez.
Once again sorry,
Michael
Lol All good, yeah everyone is scared of the Lunch Box
Old 10-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by semper View Post
Can Rob bring silver cans... Too many cars, too few silver cans...
I'll get Rob to bring silver cans with him to the next few club meetings before the festival in case people need to buy some

Cheers

Mikey
Old 10-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Mikey

i may have entered in the incorrect class. i have a b2 associated in the sports tuned class which is classic and i entered it in stock.
the transponder number is correct tho.
sorry
kind regards Mitch

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service