Advice needed..

Old 05-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Advice needed..

I know this isn't the forum for it but need some help and this would be the best way to get local advice

Hi all I'm having an on going issues with my slash that's setup with a hobbywing 150a and a ten shock motor. After 10 minutes of driving the negative bullet connection gets so hot that it melts and breaks the solder connection... I have re soldered and made sure that I have soldered properly.. Some times it happens 3-4 times during practice. The positive bullet is fine...
What could be wrong?
Esc?
Resistor ?
Batteries? (But it happens with all My batteries and only 2s)
Is some thing cooked? Any advice would be great ?
I don't want to go and buy a new esc if this one is fine but I won't care if this one is cooked just wanted to fix the issue!!!
Any help would be great !
Thanks Anth
Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

150 hobbywing shouldn't be used with 2s ,
I run 4s with my 150 xerun
I am suprised your batteries haven't puffed yet
Old 05-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds to me you have excessive load on your motor?? Is the esc and motor red hot as well? If so check your gearing, if you've made the gear ratio to tall it will put to much load on everything and cook esc, motors and possibly batteries! Try putting a smaller pinion on?? Just a thought????
Good luck,
Foggy
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I had similar issues on my rc boat. Sounds like the motor/esc is drawing more than what ur batts can supply. To solve this, i raised the cutoff voltage to 3.2-3.4v ( the last 20% capacity of ur batts can do alot of damage. and use lead free solder on the plugs.(require higher temp to melt).
Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I had similar issues on my rc boat. Sounds like the motor/esc is drawing more than what ur batts can supply. To solve this, i raised the cutoff voltage to 3.2-3.4v ( the last 20% capacity of ur batts can do alot of damage. and use lead free solder on the plugs.(require higher temp to melt).
Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

My gear ratio is 14/52 nothing to out of the ordinary I think. This setup was runnig fine for 4 months with no worrys untill this
Could the sensor cable have something to do with it? I'm lost
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Sounds like the battery has given way or a damaged winding on the motor stator. The esc will only provide what the motor draws, a 150A Hobbywing ESC runs just as well on 2s as it does on 4s, it all depends on your gearing, the higher the gearing, the faster you are trying to go, the more amps the motor has to pull (and the esc supply) to get there, the higher the load on your batteries.

Invest in an eagletree or a watts up meter and determine your amp load first, you'd be surprised what you see (ie a Savage Flux HP pulls 130 amps but a Savage XS pulls 150 amps, so the smaller savage is actually harder on batteries)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I had similar issues with a lower end brushless combo and it turned out to be the magnet on the rotor splitting inside the can and causing friction. Swapped out the motor for a Turnigy 1900kv and haven't had an issue since. Still using the same esc, same batteries, same car and same gearing.
So maybe try take out the motor and spin it in your hand and see if you feel any friction or tightness on the shaft. Make sure you spin it slowly because sometimes you can feel if a wire is damaged on the stator as Nexxus said which could also cause the extra heat.
If you have a spare motor you could try for a few runs then maybe give that a shot but I'm pretty certain it's not the esc.

Good luck with it all, I hope this helps a little.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't think it could be the batteries because it happens with all of them! And they are well balanced and cared for. Shall I replace the motor ?
I just don't understand how it can be ok for such a long time on the setup and then go so wrong. I think it may have to be a motor or esc problem but can't determine the problem.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I pull apart the 10 shock brushless motor do you think I will be able to see the damage done visually ?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If it's a cracked magnet, it will either fall of the shaft when you pull it out or you will see noticeable cracks in the magnet. If it's a stator wire then when u pull out the rotor take a real close look at the wiring inside the can, if there is a loose wire it will stand out a little more then the rest. The wire will look loose compared to the other ones being bound up nice and tight.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok well I will swap over motors tonight and have a look at the 10 shock tonight and let you know how I go,
Thank you very much for your input!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

what batteries are you using and what is there c rating?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

The c rating is 50-100... I have 12 batteries all that little bit different and it happens with all of them.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Does the connector fit nice and snug or does it just fall in the battery connection point? Also maybe check the lead with a ohms meter there might be high resistance in your lead due to a broken wire?
certainly is a strange problem, i hate those types of problems

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.