Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australia For Sale/Trade
Neu motors and castle motors and escs >

Neu motors and castle motors and escs

Neu motors and castle motors and escs

Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

castle esc's are great never had a prob the only problem with castle stuff is the dumb ass setting it up with wrong gearing and yeah dont spam others threads its not nice !
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh look, its a HSP.

oh look, its a HSP.

oh look, its a HSP.

oh look, (somewhere in the wreckage) its a HSP!

the sidewinder escs aree fine for 2s, just like the mamba monster is fine off 4s.

the issue with the stock firestorm esc isn't the gearing, its that the internal BEC is the worst possible design ever
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a castle esc no probs at all, obvious you know nothing about gearing and obvious your a smart ass ....head.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Queensland, Australia, Earth, Galaxy, Universe, A Childs Sandpit
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AmmoJammo
oh look, its a HSP.

oh look, its a HSP.

oh look, its a HSP.

oh look, (somewhere in the wreckage) its a HSP!

the sidewinder escs aree fine for 2s, just like the mamba monster is fine off 4s.

the issue with the stock firestorm esc isn't the gearing, its that the internal BEC is the worst possible design ever
What a heap of sh&t. I wouldn't blame the ESC I'd blame the extra weight caused by a bag of zip ties being used. I have a MMMv3 and two MM and are the best ESC's I have ever used.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sean nolan
I have a castle esc no probs at all, obvious you know nothing about gearing and obvious your a smart ass ....head.
I've already said, gearing had nothing to do with it

if gearing was an issue, then quite clearly the HSP ESC would have failed too

the problem with the sidewinder ESC, is the circuit design for the BEC, I already said this.

if you don't understand, then please, do some research

Originally Posted by autocadsteve197
What a heap of sh&t. I wouldn't blame the ESC I'd blame the extra weight caused by a bag of zip ties being used. I have a MMMv3 and two MM and are the best ESC's I have ever used.
yes, you're quite right, I'm sure the zip ties (lol?) and maybe even the 300gram GPS that the zip ties were holding on put more load on the esc..

its a good thing the CC ESC was never used with the gps or it might have caught fire!!! the gps was only ever on there with the HSP esc.

its strange that all your arguments FOR the castle creations ESCs actually provide more evidence as to how poorly they perform, when compared to a cheap esc that you're all insulting!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have had 2 Novatech ESC's replaced under warranty in an XSTR pro that has only ever been run on 2S with stock gearing.

The second Novatech ESC was replaced with a QUIK branded ESC, as even the supplier themselves admitted that the novatechs were not worth the aluminium they are cased in.

I have had no issues with my MMM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nogas
I have had 2 Novatech ESC's replaced under warranty in an XSTR pro that has only ever been run on 2S with stock gearing.

The second Novatech ESC was replaced with a QUIK branded ESC, as even the supplier themselves admitted that the novatechs were not worth the aluminium they are cased in.

I have had no issues with my MMM.
well, what did you do wrong to break two then?

between my mate, and myself, with have three HSP brushless cars.

all are running high torque servos, all are running 11.1v, none have had any issues whatsoever, and all are driven way too hard.

barrel roll into a fence post much?

then on the other hand, we have three castle creations escs between us.

one simply stopped working? and the other two won't run properly off 11.1v (3s) lipo, which the manufacturer claims them to be rated for.

fail.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

hsp are cheap pieces of crap ....you just proved that

....So were is your evidence to show that what you are saying about the castle esc are crap....do you have any data ,have you ever used a data logger to verify this gabbage that you go on about, what amps were drawn when the esc crapped itself ........see one of these.....

just so you know Castle reccomend when using the sidewinder on 3s with anything under 4600kv ,the pinion should be between 14-19t with the largest spur you can fit ,and with 5700kv and above, you should not exceed 2s,

Last edited by jas21373; 03-10-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

wow!
is it peoples reading that fails them, or their comprehension?

ITS THE BEC IN THE SIDEWINDER ESC THAT SIMPLY IS NOT DESIGNED FOR 3S OPERATION!!!

if the HSP esc ran flawlessly in the firestorm, but the Castle Creations esc didn't work properly, how can you conclude from this evidence that the HSP is crap? lol

I don't think common sense is very common anymore
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thats my car above...
Stock spur gear which is the largest hpi offer at 87t.
Pinion was a 19t.
Motor is the Traxxas Velineon 3500kv.
Battery is 5000mah 20c 3s lipo.
Wheels are Proline Badlands.
Servo was a spektrum metal geared that came with my DX2s.

I was worried about heat on the CC due to its tiny size so i fitted a 30mm fan.

After about 5minutes running the car began to glitch. I would get a dropout for 2seconds at a time. After another minute this became worse, with the esc cutting out the BEC power (signal to tx lost, servo lost power etc).
The esc was NOT hot to the touch either because of the large fan blowing on it.

Ammo suggested i may be overloading the BEC with the large fan. So i turned it off, sure enough, the glitching stopped, but the ESC was reaching 85degrees VERY quickly, at which point it would begin to glitch.

I changed NOTHING on this setup other than the esc over to a novatech, problem COMPLETELY gone. Ran cool no dramas, and still popped wheelies at over 50km/h on dirt.

This was NOT a one-off cc esc, i have TWO sidewinders taken from firestorms, both exibit this same behaviour on 3s lipo, in BOTH a firestorm with 3500kv, and a slash with the proper 4600kv cc motor.

Prior to this, i had run both ESCs on 2s lipo fine, never missed a beat.

And FYI, i have 13t, 14t, 15t, 17t, 19t, 21t, 23t, 24t, 28t pinions here, as well as a temp probe from my spektrum telemetry radio, and also a handheld temp probe, so all readings and adjustments were done properly and carefully.
My setup skills were not to blame.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michael999
Thats my car above...
Stock spur gear which is the largest hpi offer at 87t.
Pinion was a 19t.
Motor is the Traxxas Velineon 3500kv.
Battery is 5000mah 20c 3s lipo.
Wheels are Proline Badlands.
Servo was a spektrum metal geared that came with my DX2s.

I was worried about heat on the CC due to its tiny size so i fitted a 30mm fan.

After about 5minutes running the car began to glitch. I would get a dropout for 2seconds at a time. After another minute this became worse, with the esc cutting out the BEC power (signal to tx lost, servo lost power etc).
The esc was NOT hot to the touch either because of the large fan blowing on it.

Ammo suggested i may be overloading the BEC with the large fan. So i turned it off, sure enough, the glitching stopped, but the ESC was reaching 85degrees VERY quickly, at which point it would begin to glitch.

I changed NOTHING on this setup other than the esc over to a novatech, problem COMPLETELY gone. Ran cool no dramas, and still popped wheelies at over 50km/h on dirt.

This was NOT a one-off cc esc, i have TWO sidewinders taken from firestorms, both exibit this same behaviour on 3s lipo, in BOTH a firestorm with 3500kv, and a slash with the proper 4600kv cc motor.

Prior to this, i had run both ESCs on 2s lipo fine, never missed a beat.

And FYI, i have 13t, 14t, 15t, 17t, 19t, 21t, 23t, 24t, 28t pinions here, as well as a temp probe from my spektrum telemetry radio, and also a handheld temp probe, so all readings and adjustments were done properly and carefully.
My setup skills were not to blame.
Your problem was you took a motor that draws 60 Amps constant on 2s Lipo put it on an ESC that's only rated around 55 Amps, put on a high torque servo, 3s Lipo and then wondered why it failed, I think the system was so close to the limit it ran hot, you tried to cover that with a fan, pushed it over the limit and the BEC is the first thing that is shut down.

That and having a DX3S myself I know that any issue with either the rpm or the temp sensor will cause the receiver to drop signal all together and just give up. I've seen plenty of ppl with a DX3S complain about glitching, only to find the rpm sensor has taken a hit, remove it from the system and she's all sweet again.

..and no I am not a Castle Creations fan, the MMM turned me very much anti Castle, this is a graph from a MMM on a Savage Flux on one of the two packs, LVC set at 3.3v/ cell as you can see, the MMM still let the battery drop below that mark more than once and never once cut out.

But just because I agree with your mate on the Castle thing (well the MMM anyway, the Mamba Max, Mamba Pro and Sidewinder I have always found reliable) doesn't mean I think HSP is decent. Nothing but cheap rubbish, bottom of the ESC pile it's not even sold at decent hobby stores, Jaycar sells it ffs. It's in with the TOYS.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I was just browsing this thread and I came across the pics of the HSP cars, when I saw them I actually vomited a little bit in my mouth..........
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm sick of this thread, please move it to the right place. This is for sale items lets move on.....PLEASE.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nexxus
Nothing but cheap rubbish, bottom of the ESC pile it's not even sold at decent hobby stores, Jaycar sells it ffs. It's in with the TOYS.
2 large hobby stores I've been to recently both sold HSP.

both stores have been in business for at least 15 years each.

why is this the argument everyone seems to come up with? "no good hobby store would sell it, so it must be crap" :S

at the end of the day, the HSP easily out performed the CC.

if the HSP esc is crap (which by the way, I'm not saying it isn't) then by your own reasoning, the CC must be even more crap!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nexxus
Your problem was you took a motor that draws 60 Amps constant on 2s Lipo put it on an ESC that's only rated around 55 Amps, put on a high torque servo, 3s Lipo and then wondered why it failed, I think the system was so close to the limit it ran hot, you tried to cover that with a fan, pushed it over the limit and the BEC is the first thing that is shut down.
we were actually going by the HPI claimed specs for the ESC, seeing Castle Creations don't seem to offer any?

5. Huge amount of continuous power handling (70A* Continuous / 380A burst current)

*25C temperature, 5mph air flow through heat sink minimum.
so, therefore, we were running a 65amp motor, off a 70amp esc.

I fail to see the problem with that?

except that manufacturers lie about specs, and over rate their products!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.