Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > Ask Hitec
Shortening HS-645MG lead lengths >

Shortening HS-645MG lead lengths

Shortening HS-645MG lead lengths

Old 12-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Shortening HS-945MG lead lengths

Hi Mike,

I was a Futaba user until I bought a Savage and started searching posts about upgrading it's weak-points. When it came to the steering servo, EVERYONE suggested using your HS-945MG and it's become known as the "Servo Mod". I did it and was extrememly satisfied with the results, so happy that I now am a dedicated Hitec customer and all of my off-road RC trucks have Hitec servos installed in them. Eventually, I expect to convert my Touring car's servos as well.

The only problem that I've encountered is that your servo leads are too long for most of my applications (I know - that's better than them being too short..) and the extra length leads to unsightly and sometimes difficult "bundling", especially when dealing with carbon-fiber decks without "radio boxes"

I realize different applications require varying lead lengths and most things are a compromise. Has Hitec considered producing servos with a connector built into the case and offering servo leads in varying lengths?

I've tried purchasing third-party Futaba-style ends but, without instructions, I haven't been successful at what should be a simple task of replacing the connectors. Can you offer some insight as to the proper way to do this or if I send in some servos can Hitec shorten the leads to my specification(s)? What would the cost and the turn around time be for this modification?

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited by MarcTroy; 12-11-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Hey I'm NOT a Hitec rep, but I had the same problem as you. I got a bunch of servo connectors from Servo City and shortened ALL my servo wires. You will need a needle tip soldering gun, some needle nose pliers and some practice. I practiced on some old RTR servos I had laying around. My set-ups look alot cleaner now with less excess wire everywhere!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hitec has solved the long wire problem with it's new line of digital servos. The wires are much shorter... But it is easy to make your current wires shorter.

Just unscrew the 4 screws that hold the case together.

Pull the bottom part of the case off. Notice the 3 small soldered wires (black, red & yellow).

Use a needle soldering tip & unsolder each of them. Now cut the correct length of wire you want.

Now resolder them wires back onto the soldering point in the correct order (black, red & yellow).

Make sure that each solder joint is neat and isn't touching another.

Now reassemble the case and you're ready to go!

If you dont feel comfortable doing this modification, then maybe someone at your track or hobby shop can help or show you how to do it.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice. I spent a few hours yesterday practicing on Futaba S3003s that I really don't use anymore. After botching up a few, I finally becaume pretty good at it, good enough to have the confidence to open up a Hitec HS-645MG to begin the process. I was surprised to see that, after soldering their leads to the printed curcuit board, it seems Hitec lays on a coat of epoxy over it - I guess to protect the leads from coming loose if accidentally pulled.

Not wanting to mess around with that, I went back to my LHS, purchased some Mpi MAXX 4100 connectors and attacked the other end of the servo wire. After a time consuming battle with the gold-plated pins, I had to take a break and I went to Mpi's web site and threr I found that they make a crimping-tool specifically for the job of attaching wires to the servo pins. Called my LHS and ordered one and I expect it to be in tomorrow. I think I'll rest my eyes today by reading the fine-print on something !

Thanks again for all your advice - I'll let you know how things turn out tomorrow...