Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
Why have all the tracks disappeared? >

Why have all the tracks disappeared?

Like Tree5Likes

Why have all the tracks disappeared?

Old 03-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default Why have all the tracks disappeared?

If you do some searching around the web for R/C tracks in AZ, you'll find a number of lists consisting mostly of facilities that have gone out of business. Just a few short years ago there were several times more options than there are today, and virtually none of the on-road tracks have survived. I never got into racing myself, but now find myself itching for a local track where I can run my admittedly oddball collection of cars. The new Hobby Action facility in Chandler looks very cool, though I find myself without a 1/10 buggy or truggy, and none of the cars I run would be allowed. Anyone have any theories as to why these places didn't last? The demand seems to be there, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (98%+)

More bashers than racers! Most now in the Hobby are the RTR crowd, only care about going fast, not racing.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

I can't speak for everyone, but I would definitely pay for access to a track designed for bashers! It wouldn't have to be highly manicured, and I bet there would be interest. A casual place for me to run my completely random cars, especially those that are too large or obnoxious to share a track with 1/10 buggies, would be great.

What's more annoying is the lack of any on-road or carpet tracks for my 1/12 cars. Finding smooth enough pavement is impossible. I know on-road popularity has seriously waned, but with so many options these days including the new F1 class, there has to be enough hobbyists in the area to support ONE road course. There has to be a pattern of mistakes that caused these places to go under.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, support your local track that would be one thing in the internet age.... aside from that not sure. I visited srs before it went under and was surprised it stayed open as long as it did.

As far as on road.... just surprised no one has opened an indoor carpet track...
Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (99%+)

Originally Posted by mupchu View Post
Well, support your local track that would be one thing in the internet age.... aside from that not sure. I visited srs before it went under and was surprised it stayed open as long as it did.

As far as on road.... just surprised no one has opened an indoor carpet track...
It has been done before and failed twice that I know of.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (99%+)

There are a number of reasons why there are no permanent on road tracks in Phx, yes Iím sure bad management has played a role in the closing of some tracks both on and off road thru the years. But that is only part of the story, to fully understand the daunting task of opening and keeping an on road track going letís do some very simple math, sorry in advance as this will be a long post.

First you will need at a bare minimum 8,000 sf of space; in reality you need 10,000 + but weíll use 8k for this exercise. In a quick Google search the site Loop Net gives us some average asking prices for commercial and retail space in the Phx metro area. This data is not fully current as it is from June 2016 but again it is sufficient for this exercise. So according to Loop Net the cheapest retail space in the Phx area in 2016 cost $13.24 per sf per year. So 8k sf will cost $105,920 for one yearís rent, or $2,037 per week. At an average entry fee of $20 per race entry it will take 102 race entries each week just to cover the rent; and we havenít even touched the electrical, water, insurance, wage costs, etc.

There must be a lower cost alternative you say, and yes a track in an industrial/commercial location would be less expensive. Again we turn to Loop Net and we see that the cheapest industrial/commercial space was leasing for $7.65 per sf in June of 2016. So we use our baseline 8k and we see that it will cost $61,200 for one yearís rent which equates to $1,177 per week. At our $20 race entry fee it would take 59 race entries each week just to cover the rent.

Are there enough people in Phx to be able to get an average of 100+ entries (the minimum to cover all the costs of an indoor facility) each week? You would think so but letís look at some data; this past weekend ASR held the biggest race they put on. A two day event that draws racers from AZ, CA, and NV; through the grape vine I heard the entry count was between 120 and 130. Yep the biggest on road race of the year in Phx only drew 130 entries and some of those entries were from out of state. Again I donít go there anymore but I heard that many weeks this past year ASR had entry counts under 30, and not just summer months which would be understandable as it is outdoors.

Is a permanent facility in Phx possible, maybe if someone has the connections and the funds, but I donít suggest you hold your breath.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I got an email from Bondurant this morning saying they were going to open an RC track. Not sure if it was an April Fools joke or not. Showed a rendering of a very nice off road track with jumps, a nice driver's stand, and a building next to the driver's stand. But here's the weird thing, they said they designed their own car and it showed a FWD 1/10 touring car with a Dodge Hellcat body. So they don't know you can't run a touring car on an offroad track? Seemed very strange.

EDIT: And Chris, it's about time you come back out to ASR!!!! We miss you.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

double post
Old 04-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

You have to build a place that's "user friendly".

When I buy a video game, I put the game in my xbox360 and go. I don't have to spend hours prepping tires or figuring out which highly toxic chemical I soak them in so I don't do donuts on the track.

If you build a track that doesn't allow you to bolt on tires and go, then you'll end up like W3 and the others did.
rcaddiction likes this.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

and no track can survive on race intrys only , people have to buy there parts at the track for it to survive , not gunna happen with the internet
Old 09-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TCs as a example. i raced at HT and CH in tucson back in 2001 till Dec 2005, was a simpler time in 2001-2004 near everyone ran a TC3 or a XXX-S, just a few random drivers were running what was then called luxury or exotics. those racers usually had to buy second kits for parts and be their own hobbyshop.

today i raced at HT, was first race night on new asphalt track, lots of TC brands owned by drivers: Mugen, Xray, ARC, Schumacher, Yokomo. VBC, various AE belt and shaft, Hobbyking, HB. no way a hobbyshop can keep up with that, internet and faster shipping enables racer to diversify

pretty much the same back then when it came to 1/10th offroad buggies. it was easy for shops to stock two brands, tonight at HT werev Xray, Yokomo, TLR, AE, and Schumacher cars were being run. was told some drivers in PHX area that race at HA are running Serpent buggies also

1/12 scale many shops used to stock the AE 12L parts, but so many changes thru the years they can't keep up and get stuck with parts they have to blow out. current day CRC, Xray, AE, cars and parts interchangeability even within same brands is less than it was years ago when many cars were based closely together like Speedmerchant, CRC, AE front ends, pod plates, some carbon pieces, diffs, and more were swapable across various brand cars.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only way to have a permanent successful track is to own the property that its on, so that you don't have a monthly rent.
nitrodude and SirKarnage like this.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tbrymer View Post
The only way to have a permanent successful track is to own the property that its on, so that you don't have a monthly rent.
Add in: Have friendly and good management, have items in stock, and don't parade out stupid rules that limit your attendance and don't race on the exact same days as your potential competition. Ironically, the last three tracks that closed all violated all of these.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default no tracks here

my closest legit track is 100 miles away :\ i live in north central Pa.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CH3NO2shocker View Post
my closest legit track is 100 miles away :\ i live in north central Pa.
It's all about those priorities...

I would move.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service