Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
Why have all the tracks disappeared? >

Why have all the tracks disappeared?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Why have all the tracks disappeared?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray3619
and no track can survive on race intrys only , people have to buy there parts at the track for it to survive , not gunna happen with the internet
I am just getting back into the hobby. Have been spending a fair amount at HobbyAction in Chandler. New buggy, motor, ESC, battery, parts. Im doing my part.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

And now, thanks to some random douche canoe, Fear Farm is shut down.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

has anyone mentioned the realities of the world at large? business tax incorporation, cost of electricity, liability insurances, commercial/mix use property tax/rent, maintenance equipment, personal time to actually run the whole show? what about noise complaints, community board meetings? county approvals?

ive really thought hard about doing it, as a full time gig, owning the property, setting up a bare bones indoor/outdoor deal, the tax structuring, the day to day of the actual business, economics of a track are insane, ive looked at it from so many angles, state by state by their business tax/property tax deals... i have no clue how places that are running make enough a month to stay open across america.. if anyone who actually runs a track (not a hobby shop), and has spare time to read these boards, please pm me, id love to hear about your tax structure and operation cost breakdowns… maybe I’m missing basic things, lost in all the legal bureaucratic fine print
Old 10-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cyberacer
Fear Farm RC is in trouble and needs your help! -NeoBuggy.net ? Offroad RC Car News

ohhh yea... totally forgot to mention the ACTUAL, LEGAL, CODE COMPLIANT structure costs, i havent even touched that side of planning, i cant get the operation numbers right to even begin with a build out model !
Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cyberacer
Aren't special snowflakes wonderful?

He probably has a lot in common with this upstanding but permanently seated individual:

1950's burger joint shut down over ADA lawsuit

From what I can see, random douche canoe is very proud of what they have done.
the wrench likes this.

Last edited by DesertRat; 10-11-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

going thru codes, safety, ADA, requirements etc, has slowed down a track inwork for now over a year to a crawl in sierra vista area. even police have been notified if they see X-number of racers on stand or track to document, notify inspectors or city. the drivers stand had to be knocked over once so no one could use it or face a daily fine and charges just for having it up...even if not used

ADA requirement and fines are harsh. no warning required and they can issue a $55000 to $75000 fine for a first time offense. in the case of fines, it usually involves verified/denied access to a disabled person in a parking lot, bathroom/building access in the case of RC tracks also drivers stands. since no fine is mentioned, sounds like the person who reported was not disabled, but perhaps knows construction, codes, contracting, etc.

there are alot of tracks in the US that have 1980's style tall drivers stands that do not meet code. to generally meet the code for every 1" of rise on a drivers stand you need one foot of ramp. this can cause the ADA ramp portion to exceed the cost of a drivers stand 2-3X alone. ramps that meet older codes can be insufficient today

many newer tracks due to code have lower 3-4 foot tall driver stands and shorter drawn out 36-48 foot ramps so a person in a wheel chair can access it on their own. 21 foot driver stand (at standing point) = a 252 foot long ADA ramp, elevator/lift. signing petitions, complaining about this can make it even worse for a track.

question i have have for someone familiar with fear farm track...4 years ago...did they had three drivers stands like they have now (exactly other than paint), were they rebuilt, raised, improved, moved since? i have never been there, have seen photos and youtube only...largest stand i only see a stair entrance to a flat, then splits to left and right stairs to the top. is there a lift or ramp to the top of it?

2017 http://www.neobuggy.net/category/event-coverage/page/7/ one pic shows three tracks. etc
the wrench likes this.

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 10-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench
has anyone mentioned the realities of the world at large? business tax incorporation, cost of electricity, liability insurances, commercial/mix use property tax/rent, maintenance equipment, personal time to actually run the whole show? what about noise complaints, community board meetings? county approvals?

ive really thought hard about doing it, as a full time gig, owning the property, setting up a bare bones indoor/outdoor deal, the tax structuring, the day to day of the actual business, economics of a track are insane, ive looked at it from so many angles, state by state by their business tax/property tax deals... i have no clue how places that are running make enough a month to stay open across america.. if anyone who actually runs a track (not a hobby shop), and has spare time to read these boards, please pm me, id love to hear about your tax structure and operation cost breakdowns… maybe I’m missing basic things, lost in all the legal bureaucratic fine print
Yes, earlier in this thread I outlined some of the costs and challenges of starting and running a for profit indoor track. While a hobby shop can help offset the costs its not a sure thing. Far cheaper to do an outdoor track but still very difficult to do and make a profit. I would not be surprised to find out that many current tracks are not operating completely above board with regards to proper recording and reporting of operations to all the appropriate agencies.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chris moore
Yes, earlier in this thread I outlined some of the costs and challenges of starting and running a for profit indoor track. While a hobby shop can help offset the costs its not a sure thing. Far cheaper to do an outdoor track but still very difficult to do and make a profit. I would not be surprised to find out that many current tracks are not operating completely above board with regards to proper recording and reporting of operations to all the appropriate agencies.
yea, having a cash based operation helps hide some, but to be commercial, you need some kind of business incorporation, you file according to whatever type of "business"....most states and our wonderful federal govt want a piece regardless, if i had 20 acres, sure, but im still stuck paying taxes on added structures on my property if done legit.... i would love to know how Thornhill thrives, i visited Austin last year and drove by, the track is pretty remote, so its not like people just drive by, stop to check it out, or hang out in a hobby shop drooling and spending retail... Texas has some seriously high property tax!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Even outdoor tracks in SoCal have been closing. There used to be a track in Murrieta but it closed, so the nearest one for me is about 1 1/2 hr......with SoCal traffic, make it 3 lol.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

I just remember seeing those massive cement ovals in RC Car Action as a kid and being in awe - the tracks the pros used - I'm guessing many of them were in California.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We still race on one of the largest, the 826 ft Encino Velodrome in So Cal, home of the old RC Thunderdrome.

QUOTE=JeffSpicoli;15182758]I just remember seeing those massive cement ovals in RC Car Action as a kid and being in awe - the tracks the pros used - I'm guessing many of them were in California.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Going strong in El Paso at Sun City RC and Hal's hobby for 8th scale tracks. Also have 3 tracks 2 with hobby shops just north in Albuquerque!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Come to Texas and take a step back in time. Land is cheap outside of the city limits. Most of the tracks here are outdoor, no posted rules, no ADA drivers stands. The tracks are rough, dusty and slippery by most standards. Perfect in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slackinoff
Come to Texas and take a step back in time. Land is cheap outside of the city limits. Most of the tracks here are outdoor, no posted rules, no ADA drivers stands. The tracks are rough, dusty and slippery by most standards. Perfect in my opinion.
Which part of texas? Like sandy dirt or the grasslands?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Out in Carthage (East Texas) there is a guy whom has a great track in his back yard (Panola County RC) . It's really awesome, we just finished a series there. You couldn't ask for more fun. Guy whom designed and built the track is the owner of T&T hobbies in Shreveport, Louisiana (another great outdoor track that has that no rules feel). I would say most of the tracks in the East Texas area are clay with loose dirt/sand on top. They are not watered a whole lot either, which I think is great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.