Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SWIR Re-Opening as Tucson Dragway This Weekend >

SWIR Re-Opening as Tucson Dragway This Weekend

SWIR Re-Opening as Tucson Dragway This Weekend

Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default SWIR Re-Opening as Tucson Dragway This Weekend

Greetings,

I just wanted to get the word out that Southwest International Dragway has been sold and is now Tucson Dragway, which is kicking off their grand re-opening event this weekend with the M&H Tires Import Faceoff:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1594585820757824/
Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I was going to point out this has nothing to do with RC racing....but then thought about the overabundance of smooth pavement they have there. I wonder what the feasibility would be to race on-road there. With people playing with real cars, there might even be a chance to grow the r/c stuff a bit.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

very cool idea, let us know if this is feasible.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

And thus the advantage of running electric onroad racing in Tucson, the altitude does not affect horsepower. I used to run my Camaro at the old Tucson dragway back in the 70's when I went to school in Tucson and the car was dog slow compared to Beeline because it's almost 3000 feet in elevation. But when we run our electric RC cars, the altitude doesn't affect them. AWESOME!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Addict

I will check into it as I do know one of the people that were involved. The question would then be, if we go the ok to race there would the Phoenix crowd support it? I'd actually like to see us alternating locations if we can find a spot in Phoenix or perhaps Casa Grande. I did like the Gilbert racing a lot more than I would have thought and would like to get that type of event going again.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linkless View Post
I will check into it as I do know one of the people that were involved. The question would then be, if we go the ok to race there would the Phoenix crowd support it? I'd actually like to see us alternating locations if we can find a spot in Phoenix or perhaps Casa Grande. I did like the Gilbert racing a lot more than I would have thought and would like to get that type of event going again.
The word on the street is that Todd is close to getting a spot to run onroad in the East Valley (I'm guessing Gilbert). I would support Tucson racing, even though I wish it would be on the North side of town.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The drag strip is only opening for two events, IFO and Hotrod Drag Weekend. Other than that, it's closed until after the first of the year.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigReade View Post
The drag strip is only opening for two events, IFO and Hotrod Drag Weekend. Other than that, it's closed until after the first of the year.
pftt bro, he knows someone there. I'm sure they'd love to open and prep a track just for the 3 people to come run onroad there.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Reade, thanks for the information. I will still look into this for the future as the Nissan Fest at Autoclub speedway shows that RC racing can be intertwined with real car events.

Socket, thank you for reminding me how nice it is to not have to be anywhere around you for long periods of time.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linkless View Post
Reade, thanks for the information. I will still look into this for the future as the Nissan Fest at Autoclub speedway shows that RC racing can be intertwined with real car events.

Socket, thank you for reminding me how nice it is to not have to be anywhere around you for long periods of time.
You're welcome. I'm sure you'll find me when you need something, just like you always do.