Unofficial SRS On-Road Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
who all is going tonight?
I'm going no matter what.... Need to do a shakedown anyways since I have not run in a few years.. The car too lol!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

been quiet for a while but i'm aiming for this saturday. i need to follow up on when (or if) the series will start. plus i have some foams for my F1 i want to play with.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
been quiet for a while but i'm aiming for this saturday. i need to follow up on when (or if) the series will start. plus i have some foams for my F1 i want to play with.
They posted that the track was closed last saturday but also included a note stating they were going to announce a series soon.
Also there is flyer for a on road race on sep 5th for Labor day
Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

i can't make labor day weekend, i'll be in LA.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, I'm Mike. I'm new to the forums (been lurking for awhile now). I'm just getting into rc cars, I used to fly heli's. SRS is close to where I live and was wondering what classes they will be running for onroad. I'm just about done building a Tamiya M05 and I've been having a great time with it. Just need to learn how to drive it now.

I'm kinda into the more realistic stuff. Thought I might get a SC truck eventually, something good for both Warehouse 3 and SRS. Wondering what would be a fun class for onroad, but thought I should see what is popular first.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow, I have never not been welcomed to a new forum before.

I guess I really picked the wrong thread to first post in. SRS and on-road would seen to be a sore spot in the community. It's a shame really, seems like a facility with all the potential in the world. But when I visited the place was pretty empty except for a few people on the dirt track and a couple of cars on the cart track. The hobby shop was a dusty mess with way too little inventory. When I asked about on-road racing the guy showed me the track that obviously hadn't been used in a couple of weeks or more. He looked disappointed and said, "If you've got some friends, we'll open up a class for you. Maybe people will start to show up when it cools down."

I'm way too old and lazy to drive a few hours on a regular basis to compete in a hot parking lot in Gilbert. So I guess I'll check out Warehouse 3 and put my on-road thoughts to rest. It's hard to believe a town this size can't support a decent indoor track.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Dude, I see that RCTech is new to you, but this is an unofficial thread, all posts are and likely will be by racers and not SRS employees, and we can't speak for them or SRS in any capacity.

As for your previous post, it seemed like you had it all figured out.

Onroad racing at SRS has been really informal.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Heres to hope..... They are trying to put together a series race in the future but traction from what Im told is good blind spots are not an issue. So I have a car ready whenever.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Now there's a welcome. Thanks. I'm sure as questions pop up I'll make a nuisance of myself in more visited sections of the forum. ;

I'll keep checking back and hopefully something pans out. If nothing else, I wouldn't mind watching somebody who knows what they're doing and maybe picking a brain or two.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Welcome AntiM.
On road at SRS has been a struggle to get going but it is summer in Arizona so it is tough to get people to come out. However, I have been working with the owner and an employee to start a points series that will run approx. every 2 weeks. i am still waiting to be sent the dates so i can post them. The main classes will be 17.5 1/12 scale and touring car (foams). feel free to contact me with any questions.

David
Old 08-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks David. It will take me awhile to put together everything I need anyway. I'm thinking I'll start with the generic stuff first. Radios, receivers, servos, chargers, etc. I've got a good start, but it's a pretty good chunk of cash when you're starting from scratch. That will give me time to see to make up my mind on what class to run. A 17.5/esc is one of the first items on my list, it seems like that is a pretty standard choice for stock classes no matter what direction I go.

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of Mini Cooper owners considering the only Tamiya stuff I've seen in local shops is paint.

Just out of curiosity, did you guys get your 1/12 stuff locally or is it something you had to order online? Seems like a good choice for a small track, but perhaps a little too specialized in my case.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Originally Posted by AntiM View Post
Thanks David. It will take me awhile to put together everything I need anyway. I'm thinking I'll start with the generic stuff first. Radios, receivers, servos, chargers, etc. I've got a good start, but it's a pretty good chunk of cash when you're starting from scratch. That will give me time to see to make up my mind on what class to run. A 17.5/esc is one of the first items on my list, it seems like that is a pretty standard choice for stock classes no matter what direction I go.

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of Mini Cooper owners considering the only Tamiya stuff I've seen in local shops is paint.

Just out of curiosity, did you guys get your 1/12 stuff locally or is it something you had to order online? Seems like a good choice for a small track, but perhaps a little too specialized in my case.

Actually there are lots of mini owners and a large class of them; just not at SRS
Old 08-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

When I decided to start racing again this year, the choices for me boiled down to the Mini class , a T4 for VTA, or a TC that I could run in VTA then bump up to Spec GT and then to regular TC. I choose the later.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm way too old and lazy to drive a few hours on a regular basis to compete in a hot parking lot in Gilbert. So I guess I'll check out Warehouse 3 and put my on-road thoughts to rest. It's hard to believe a town this size can't support a decent indoor track.
Average sq ft price for a building big enough for a carpet track seems to be $7-$8 - an average track is 48x96 or 4600 sq ft , that's 35K a year in rent without any room for a shop, pit etc. - $3000 a month.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ScottE1776 View Post
Average sq ft price for a building big enough for a carpet track seems to be $7-$8 - an average track is 48x96 or 4600 sq ft , that's 35K a year in rent without any room for a shop, pit etc. - $3000 a month.
Yeah I get that. And that's nothing next to inventory, salaries, advertising etc. But with, what is it now, over 3 million people in metropolitan Phoenix, if not here, where? I guess Phoenix is just more of a truck and buggy place.

Props to all those who do come out in 110 degree plus weather to race together in a parking lot. I'm just not one of those guys anymore. The weather here is one of the main reasons I got out of Heli's. Ever cut a tail rotor off with your main blades because so much sweat was in your eyes? lol

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service