Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
New to RC..........again. 1st Posting >

New to RC..........again. 1st Posting

New to RC..........again. 1st Posting

Old 02-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New to RC..........again. 1st Posting

After a 20+ year vacation from competitive RC racing I'm jumping back in with a desire to run the 1/10 Associated TC 6.2, but after that I'm a bit lost on exactly how to quip the car from there. Looking for some 'expert' advice to kick-start my return to competitive R/C-ing.

My problem is the technology has leaped light years from the late 80s to now. So any advice about motors, batteries, ESCs, wheels/tires and any common mods would be greatly appreciated.

I want to do this right the first time so spending a bit more to ensure quality and reliability is something I'll consider strongly. A list of 'stock' TC 6.2 kit parts you would replace with upgraded parts during assembly is very important, I'd like to do the assembly with any needed upgrades. When I'm done with the car my goal is to have a good base to start on and get some experience with the 4 wheel drive cars of today.....and to compete.... like in the good old days.

My weakest link right now is in the motor department, I don't understand the meaning of the numbers and where the 'stock' motor wind would be in reference to a modified wind.

Next thing would be the radio choice, I want to keep this cost below $125....if possible (I like Futaba but will consider Spectrum models, 2 or 3 channel?) . Make and model number would be VERY helpful.

ESCs are another very weak link so the more data here the better. What are your thoughts on the ESCs Associated sells?

I guess I better get some info on a good servo too, and after this I can honestly say that most of my chain is made of weak links......

Hope to have the TC 6.2 kit within the next 2 weeks so I have some time to collect data and start the shopping process.

If you have other RC related advice please feel free to post it.

Thank you in advance

I tried the 'search' button and the results were not specific enough,and much of what I saw was a bit older than I'm comfortable with. I apologize if all these questions are too familiar.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you are coming back for competitive RC racing you may want to rethink your choice of classes. There is not much TC racing here in Arizona at all. Your best bet would be 1/10 electric off road, with 2wd buggy by far the largest racer base followed by 2wd short course.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

For On-road the only game in town is Hobby Town Gilbert. I think stock touring car is 17.5 motor, 2 cell lipo battery.

As for which motor to get i personally prefer trinity/revtec. I do not know what the hot setup is for touring car since i only run 1/12th scale.

for ESC go with a hobbywing stock spec ESC, they are cheap ($50) and will be everything you need for a stock class.

My radio is a futaba (Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R2004GF Receiver [FUTK1300]), it's about $115 for the radio and receiver. it looks toyish but does the job just fine and i have never had a radio glitch in the year i have had it.

as for batteries i would suggest making sure your pack has a C-rating over 60. Discharging over the the c-rating will destroy the battery and could cause it the explode and/or catch fire. Make sure you have a lipo charger as well and know how to use it. Lipo batteries are more dangerous than the old nicads if poorly treated. That being said i have never seen one have an issue since i returned to racing about a year ago.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Welcome back! Unfortunately on road hasn't thrived in Phoenix for some time, and touring car is definitely one of the most expensive classes to run, if you want to race on road on a budget I'd give oval pan car a go
Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

To answer your question about the car I suggest that you speak to Todd at HT Gilbert as he was running the 6.1 or 6.2 prior to switching brands recently and could tell you about any parts he found lacking. I would also recommend that you ask questions about the 6.2 on the 6.2 thread in the on-road section of RC Tech.
`http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...uring-car.html
These are the people that are using the car today and have tried different aftermarket bits and can give you their input. Just keep in mind that most of the on-road racing in the US today is on carpet so not all the information available on the web for this car will translate to asphalt racing.

But what I recommend most is setup knowledge, because knowledge is much more useful than any hop-up part or battery/motor of the week you can buy. So here is a link to one of the best setup guides for touring cars, get this book, read and understand it.
http://www.xxxmain.com/bookz.shtml
Then build your kit and run laps, lots and lots of laps, make changes in steps so you can see how those changes affect the car. Then after you have gained the knowledge of how to properly setup the car and make changes to it then you can worry about will this motor or that geardiff help to gain an extra tenth of a lap.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the links Chris, been checking out the tc 6.2 thread a bit already, but without a car in hand I've only scanned the thread.....and thanks again for re-introducing yourself at my first event, it was great running into a familiar face from the early days of 1/12 at the original SRS Raceway.

Yes, I can remember the days of driving the first Associated 1/12 car they made and learning from scratch so I'm prepared for a steep learning curve for the first few months. Thankfully there are sites like this to learn from.......unlike the early days of R/Cing.

The TC 6.2, Reedy Sonic 540 13.5 motor, Associated SC700 BL ESC and DS 1015 servo, a Spektrum DX3C radio and a few other goodies are on the way. Based on the little I've read so far this should be a good platform to start with....and build on.

Battery technology is still a weak spot for me so I have a lot more reading to do before I lay down money on batteries, especially at the cost for good ones.

One question I do have now is: Do I need a separate battery for the receiver? I've seen them on the market, but have no idea if one is 'needed'.

Thanks to all that responded.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse View Post
Thanks for the links Chris, been checking out the tc 6.2 thread a bit already, but without a car in hand I've only scanned the thread.....and thanks again for re-introducing yourself at my first event, it was great running into a familiar face from the early days of 1/12 at the original SRS Raceway.

Yes, I can remember the days of driving the first Associated 1/12 car they made and learning from scratch so I'm prepared for a steep learning curve for the first few months. Thankfully there are sites like this to learn from.......unlike the early days of R/Cing.

The TC 6.2, Reedy Sonic 540 13.5 motor, Associated SC700 BL ESC and DS 1015 servo, a Spektrum DX3C radio and a few other goodies are on the way. Based on the little I've read so far this should be a good platform to start with....and build on.

Battery technology is still a weak spot for me so I have a lot more reading to do before I lay down money on batteries, especially at the cost for good ones.

One question I do have now is: Do I need a separate battery for the receiver? I've seen them on the market, but have no idea if one is 'needed'.

There isnt much to know about lipo's just get a 2c battery that uses bullit plugs rather than deans plugs that is over 5000 mah and has at least a 65c burst rating.

No the reciever is powered by the speed control.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Otto
I highly recommend for this link lipo care/safety/etc... this info is good to know. The battery's are very safe as long as you're given some basic info!
http://www.promatchracing.com/PMlipoinstr.pdf
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

you're going to want a sensored esc
Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ALIASDAVE View Post
you're going to want a sensored esc
Why? What would I need to use this ESC, or would it be better to replace it? What is a competitive, reliable and rugged ESC that I won't have to upgrade in 6 months? A brief explanation please, I'm trying to pick up on the modern technology, so anything you think a relative newbee would need to know.... so they don't blow their money on junk equipment.....or blow up good equipment.

Here's my short list of possible replacement ESC candidates, one in each price range, if this helps this application is for 10 on-road touring cars:

1. Orion Vortex R10 90 amp, Part number: ORI65120 About $215 Shipped.

2.Orion Vortex R10 Pro 160 amp. This one is advertised to work with Sensored and Sensorless motors. About $170 shipped.

3. Associated LRP Spin Pro Brushless ESC. Part number: LRP81801. About $120 shipped.

If anyone else would like to contribute their expertise on anything relating to on-road 1/10 Touring Cars...you have a captive student.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

ESC's:

I like the Tekin gen2 myself, another one that I see around alot is the hacker TensorIC 10. HT Gilbert may have the hacker in stock. If your only going to run stock the hobywing just stock esc is a very budget minded esc that I've heard good things about. As mentioned be sure what ever brand you go with is sensored not sensorless; I know nothing about the gear that you ordered so I do not know if it is sensored or not.

Motor:

Again sensored and really any brand is fine here, hacker, novak, tekin, my sponser (speedzone) sells good motors. The universal standard in the US for stock is 17.5, double check with Todd at HT but the last I knew all the TC guys were running 17.5 not 13.5. Some of the oval classes might be running 13.5 there but the touring class is not.

Battery:

the aero-model (hacker) 2S batteries that HT Gilbert sells will be fine (or again speedzone has great batteries), something in the 70 to 90 C range with at least 6000mah will do to start.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
ESC's:

I like the Tekin gen2 myself, another one that I see around alot is the hacker TensorIC 10. HT Gilbert may have the hacker in stock. If your only going to run stock the hobywing just stock esc is a very budget minded esc that I've heard good things about. As mentioned be sure what ever brand you go with is sensored not sensorless; I know nothing about the gear that you ordered so I do not know if it is sensored or not.

Motor:

Again sensored and really any brand is fine here, hacker, novak, tekin, my sponser (speedzone) sells good motors. The universal standard in the US for stock is 17.5, double check with Todd at HT but the last I knew all the TC guys were running 17.5 not 13.5. Some of the oval classes might be running 13.5 there but the touring class is not.

Battery:

the aero-model (hacker) 2S batteries that HT Gilbert sells will be fine (or again speedzone has great batteries), something in the 70 to 90 C range with at least 6000mah will do to start.
All good stuff Chris, Thanks.

Looking at the Orion Vortex R10 (90amp) ESC so I won't have to upgrade as soon. It will operate both sensored and sensorless motors.

Thanks too for the motor heads-up, I'll invest in a 17.5 and save the 13.5 for a time when my skills return. With the short course, and my rusty skills it could be awhile before I use the 13.5 in a race.

Been looking at the Speedzone batteries, are these available through you directly? (wink..wink)

Will be out this Thursday, come by and say hello if you see me before I see you.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks to all that commented, I appreciated your input.

I secured a Hobbywing V3.1 and the programing box......now to start assembling the car.