R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Arizona-New Mexico Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/arizona-new-mexico-racing-156/)
-   -   Arizona 12th scale only baby!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/arizona-new-mexico-racing/788975-arizona-12th-scale-only-baby.html)

chris moore 01-28-2014 08:34 AM

Arizona 12th scale only baby!!

Ok here is the thread for the handfull of diehard 12th scale guys left in this state so we dont have to use the old CH thread anymore.

From the old CH thread Lonnie wrote:
"OK, so CH is dead. Are we posting somewhere else? Anyone got a lead for a place to run 1/12th? Should we start an Arizona 1/12th thread? Wassup???"

From the old CH thread John Barr wrote:
It looks like Hobbytown Gilbert is racing again, we could try to set some dates for 12th scale racing there, the other potential races would be with Kline or if Raymond McCoy gets something going. I'll get my fix when I attend the MHIC in April at 5280 Raceway. It is an awesome event and if you can make it up there I would highly recommend it.

chris moore 01-28-2014 08:43 AM

Bill Cline just sold all his track materials (hose, dots, etc.) so I think its safe to say that he will not be holding any races in the foreseeable future. I have not heard if Raymond has found anyplace to setup yet or not, and I do not know if he will be open to running both oval and road or is only interested in setting up for oval. That's a wait and see at this point.

So the way I see it we have only two choices, HT Gilbert parking lot or I understand that there is a small carpet track in Yuma that is still in operation. I have not been to the Yuma track so I have no idea of conditions or how things are done there. I do know Todd up here at HT Gilbert and can inquire about running 12th here if everyone would like. I cannot see any reason why he would have any objections but best to ask first.

LonnyJ1950 01-28-2014 08:51 AM

Well, Saturdays are tough for me, but go ahead and ask!!

linkless 01-28-2014 10:15 AM

I talked to Raymond and crew at the last event at CH and they welcome the road course guys. The tracks will likely be simpler than we had in the past but racing is racing. It will also be nice to go to a venue that actually appreciates our participation, wherever that may be.

DesertRat 01-28-2014 08:35 PM

I would totally be down for a trip to HT Gilbert to get a feel for what we have.

One question, is the surface in Gilbert smooth or would it be prudent to prepare for rough track? Not a deal breaker I just haven't been there in probably 3 years.

AZ Wolfie 01-28-2014 10:16 PM

I checked out HT Gilbert last Saturday, as I was quite curious about their program. The surface looked a bit on the bumpy side, however I think it would work. On a very positive note the entire racing surface looked well prepared, meaning that the entire oval and infield had been sprayed for grip!

The road course they setup was quite tight, but still looked fun. It was marked out using old school metal dots, and fire hose. They ran four or five heats of Road Course, and I remember a heat of buggies and a couple heats of Touring cars.

I talked briefly to the nice guy (didn't catch his name) running the racing, who amazingly is the same person who ran them when I last ran at HT Gilbert. He was adamant that they would love to have 1/12 scales out there running, and if there were at least three you would get your own heat. We also talked about heat length, and the policy seems to be everyone runs for 4-minutes.

Final note, scoring is still manual and so all cars were sporting the colored pom-pom!

David and Dad are talking about running this Saturday to see how it really is, but not sure their current status or if they've contacted anyone. I will be working hard to have all school stuff done so I could possibly participate if they do indeed go.

James B.

chris moore 01-28-2014 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 12953461)
I would totally be down for a trip to HT Gilbert to get a feel for what we have.

One question, is the surface in Gilbert smooth or would it be prudent to prepare for rough track? Not a deal breaker I just haven't been there in probably 3 years.

It is rough, but alot depends on how the road course is layed out, Todd changes the layout every few months and some of the layouts are smoother than others. I have run my 12th's before and everyone will have to make some adjustments including running a higher ride hight to get around. I think it could work but I'll take my serpent car out this Thurs night and see how this current layout is. One side benefit for you and John is that there is always a solid touring class so you could run two or more classes.

Originally Posted by AZ Wolfie (Post 12953689)
I checked out HT Gilbert last Saturday, as I was quite curious about their program. The surface looked a bit on the bumpy side, however I think it would work. On a very positive note the entire racing surface looked well prepared, meaning that the entire oval and infield had been sprayed for grip!

The road course they setup was quite tight, but still looked fun. It was marked out using old school metal dots, and fire hose. They ran four or five heats of Road Course, and I remember a heat of buggies and a couple heats of Touring cars.

I talked briefly to the nice guy (didn't catch his name) running the racing, who amazingly is the same person who ran them when I last ran at HT Gilbert. He was adamant that they would love to have 1/12 scales out there running, and if there were at least three you would get your own heat. We also talked about heat length, and the policy seems to be everyone runs for 4-minutes.

Final note, scoring is still manual and so all cars were sporting the colored pom-pom!

David and Dad are talking about running this Saturday to see how it really is, but not sure their current status or if they've contacted anyone. I will be working hard to have all school stuff done so I could possibly participate if they do indeed go.

James B.

That would have been Dennis or possibly Todd, I'll chat with Todd on the race length this Thurs. Thurs nights I'm sure he would be fine running 8mins, but Sat might not be so easy. A slow Sat is 17-20 heats (21 this past weekend), and of late the avg has been more like 25-28 heats which does make for a full day of racing. Todd and the pancar oval racers usually do a great job of preping the track so no worries there. And yes it's fuzzy dot racing!! lol. :D:lol:

chris moore 01-28-2014 11:09 PM

I also contacted FastEddies the carpet track in Yuma through their facebook page. It seems that the carpet track is still in use and they plan to resume Sunday racing after the superbowl weekend so that might be a possible option to check out also.

Tradin Paint 01-29-2014 03:31 AM

I'm not an on-road guy, I'm just "butting" into your conversation but the obvious question would be "who bought all Bills stuff". Sounds like someone is working on something

Bubonic-X 01-30-2014 09:07 AM

What about glitch?

chris moore 01-30-2014 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tradin Paint (Post 12954045)
I'm not an on-road guy, I'm just "butting" into your conversation but the obvious question would be "who bought all Bills stuff". Sounds like someone is working on something

Hi Ryan how have you been? Good thought but in this case HT Gilbert bought Bill's track materials so nothing new at this time.

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X (Post 12958514)
What about glitch?

Hi Jake, what about Glich? Last I heard Josh would like to open an east side track similar to a CH but I have not heard of anything recently on that.

chris moore 01-30-2014 07:45 PM

Ok I went out to the Gilbert HT tonight and ran one of my 12th cars. Did'nt have the time to put the serpent back together so I ran my old t-bar hyperdrive. Now I did no prep other that to put some fresh lube on the diff balls and sauce the crusty two yr old tires. Overall the track was loose during warm-ups but came in after some races and while my old car was not on rails it was reasonable to drive given the lack of proper prep. With a decent setup I see no reason that we could not run this track with some minor setup changes, mostly a higher ride height. I spoke with Todd and he would be very happy to have us run there, he said he would try and do 6min heats and an 8min main. If its a slow weekend I think he would be fine doing 8mins all the way around. So my suggestion is for everyone to find a Sat that works for as many as possible and lets try it out. The worst possible outcome is that you have wasted a Sat.

I have also reached out to the Yuma carpet track and thay would also be happy to have us run there, thay will be resuming races on Sun after this weekend so again if everyone can find a sunday thats clear I say lets go down and try it out.

glennhl 01-30-2014 08:44 PM

Paul, David, and I will be at Gilbert HT this Saturday and we will report back on Sunday. I have a question. Does practice start at 10 and if so, when does racing start?

As far as Yuma is concerned, from the photos I've seen it's really small, almost no straights.

Glenn

chris moore 01-30-2014 09:35 PM

Racing starts at 10am, the track is usually setup by 8am and its open practice until 10. I told Todd that afew 12ths might show up to race this weekend so ask Todd if it would be possible to setup the road course for a short time before 10, most of the time the open practice is is done on the oval. I'll be out of town this weekend but good luck and have fun.

EricF 01-31-2014 08:15 AM

What's the address for the Gilbert HT?
E