Arizona 12th scale only baby!!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Eric says that he has an agreement to use a school gym in central Phoenix. He is trying to raise $$$ to buy the equipment. Looking at 10 people at $500 each to buy the carpet. He has 4 commitments so far (including himself). If this could really workout it is better than racing at my house at DWI-Raceway (Drive-Way International Raceway). I have already made some perimeter boards, have some plow disc "dots" that I would donate to the cause as well as being an "investor".

Back to my house... if I can figure out how to post a picture I will show a satellite view of the "track". Basically an 85 ft diameter X 15 ft wide traffic circle with a 40 ft drive off of one side.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well SIGN ME UP! I'll chip in the money if we have a stable place to race! Hell, 500 bucks is less than half of a car, and I have five of those. I don't even try to think about how much my tote is worth when I pack it all up, but if 500 or even a grand would make it useable again I cant say no.

DWI Raceway. Driving While Intoxicated. Slightly more vague than DUI Raceway.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Here is the thread that Eric started ove a year ago on the subject.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/arizona-...pet-track.html

To be honest I think that attempting to purchase new carpet would be foolish; a much smarter and simpler solution is to work something out with Raymond as he has the carpet and timing system from CH.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

I thought that carpet was glued down or something.

Oh well, if someone has the old rug sitting around so much the better. I'm still in.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Hey everyone, this could be a good weekend to run 12th at HT Gilbert. Thay had the big race last weekend and in yrs past the weekend following the big race is usually lightly attended as many are burned out from the two day event. I chatted with Todd tonight and he is open to longer run times for 12th if the turnout is light.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

I would love to but I am going to the drag racing nationals at Firebird on Saturday. It might be the last race ever at Firebird.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

My brother an I are both planning to be there and i think Bill as well. I'm hoping to have my F1 car going to but i have not received it yet. might be a long friday night as i'm planning on being at the drag races in the afternoon.

David
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Here is the thread that Eric started ove a year ago on the subject.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/arizona-...pet-track.html

To be honest I think that attempting to purchase new carpet would be foolish; a much smarter and simpler solution is to work something out with Raymond as he has the carpet and timing system from CH.
The carpet was ruined. By demo guys at CH. Raymond only has timing system. So unless anyone knows of used carpet available today or soon new is the way to go. Or we keep sitting on our butts and talk about it and nothing happens and we all grow old then die. MAN UP people if you want race on carpet.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I would love to but I am going to the drag racing nationals at Firebird on Saturday. It might be the last race ever at Firebird.
Have fun I was thinking of going myself,; fyi Firebird is now owned by Wild Horse Pass and thay just made several improvements to the track. I know of several events planned there this yr, so the good new is this will not be the last race there. One of the events planned for latter this spring is the 16th annual Pontiac Heaven, a two or three day event of show, swap, and race for pontiac powered cars. Dont have the date on me but about 6 weeks out.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Root_66 View Post
The carpet was ruined. By demo guys at CH. Raymond only has timing system. So unless anyone knows of used carpet available today or soon new is the way to go. Or we keep sitting on our butts and talk about it and nothing happens and we all grow old then die. MAN UP people if you want race on carpet.
Have you talked with Raymond, because on facebook he posted a pic of the carpet partly rolled up with this tag line:

"Carpet is coming up. If anyone knows a place we can put it down once a month lmk. I have the scoring system also so we can run real races."

I have not talked to him but I am under the impression that he does have the carpet.

Edit: Nevermind I just chatted with him on FB and your correct. After pulling up and rolling two sections he had to leave and while gone the other sections were ripped up and all was thrown away.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
A couple questions, none of it serious so don't get too excited, just rambling and trying to get a feel for the situation:

Does anybody know if that new super HobbyTown location in Phx with cart racing and the indoor track, that will hopefully open in the next few months, is going to have any on-road racing? If so, great.

If we want to go rug racing again, without the support of any hobby store, we need to find somewhere to race that is indoors and we need to do that before anybody makes any comittments to buying a rug. Does anybody know of a school gym, vacant warehouse, or something along those lines? I'm going to try to appeal to a few schools in my area but I'm not sure if they would let us unless they can be convinced to make it a school function... I'll give it a go anyway but I promise nothing.

One other possibility is Marana Middle School. It has a good looking asphalt paved area outside with some shade, and I might be able to convince them to let us run there... a much easier drive from Phoenix than needing to get to the middle of Tucson for sure. Then again, for asphalt racing HT Gilbert is much closer for anybody in Phx even if we were running in Casa Grand.

I did have a Lonny-esque moment when I found myself looking at my road cars hanging on the wall and couldn't bring myself to take apart my 1/12 scale to put an offroad car back together. That TC6 that never worked quite right was not so lucky

Well, rant over, Please PM me an address for the March 2 run, and if anybody wants to carpool just PM me and we'll figure it out.
There was a sentence in the Post when they first announced SRS was going indoor that mentioned asphalt racing but i would assume that would be the last thing they are looking into at this point. On Road has just never been anything that Phoenix gets into besides HT Gilbert. I think SRS had a great track and no matter what they did it never caught on. I think taking jumps on dirt and shocks with springs looks cooler than a fast 12th scale or touring car. If we could change the mentality of going fast without jumps they might get interested. Twitchyness and setup gets a guy frustrated when he can't get the car to go straight and make a fast turn... my2 cents
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What about racing at HT Gilbert on Sundays?

I had an idea to share. What if we setup and ran our own on-road only event on Sunday's at HT Gilbert? We could still give them $5 a head (that's what he gets now if we show up on Saturday). So no more work for them. If it "steals" some of their customers on Saturday they get the $$$ anyway - maybe better for them; their Saturday is shorter.

I would think doing this every 3rd week or so would keep us from getting burned out.

I would like to "borrow" their electric outlet, everything else we would supply. All we would need is their permission.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
There was a sentence in the Post when they first announced SRS was going indoor that mentioned asphalt racing but i would assume that would be the last thing they are looking into at this point. On Road has just never been anything that Phoenix gets into besides HT Gilbert. I think SRS had a great track and no matter what they did it never caught on. I think taking jumps on dirt and shocks with springs looks cooler than a fast 12th scale or touring car. If we could change the mentality of going fast without jumps they might get interested. Twitchyness and setup gets a guy frustrated when he can't get the car to go straight and make a fast turn... my2 cents
Thanks for the update on the Super HobbyTown.

I understand 1/12 scale racing is hard to get into and has little appeal for someone who also wants to run their rc car around the neighborhood for fun. An offroad car with a terrible setup can still drive around a track while if your setup in 1/12 scale is way off you're gonna have a real tough time... But I have raced both quite a lot and actually done fairly well at each. For me the appeal of onroad racing is you gain your thrill from the other competitors instead of a few semi-controlled crashes per lap called 'jumps.' I've raced entire mains where the top two cars are never separated by more than a half second.

It's also the cheapest racing I've ever done. $50 buys three sets of tires mounted on the rims, and I've raced a set of 1/12 scale tires 1500 racing laps. Bodies are 11 bucks, you'll never burn a motor, the cars are durable and if you do break it most replacement parts are under five bucks. Even if buying a rug separates me from a few c-notes and we get a stable place to race, I'm still money ahead.

When we get a rug anybody who wants to race a road car for a weekend should can race one of mine. It goes straight and isn't twitchy any more than is necessary to make it turn...
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BantAz View Post
I had an idea to share. What if we setup and ran our own on-road only event on Sunday's at HT Gilbert? We could still give them $5 a head (that's what he gets now if we show up on Saturday). So no more work for them. If it "steals" some of their customers on Saturday they get the $$$ anyway - maybe better for them; their Saturday is shorter.

I would think doing this every 3rd week or so would keep us from getting burned out.

I would like to "borrow" their electric outlet, everything else we would supply. All we would need is their permission.
No offense but if the site where we could put down a rug is a real thing and won't be pulled from under our feet (it's a rug joke...), I think we should push for that. H.T. Gilbert is great but imagine racing there in May/June/July/August!

Let's man up. If we need some extra cash to get things rolling I can help.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
Jake SRS had a world class track at the original location that Larry opened. The current location was good but that surface was not maintained and went totally neglected under at least one owner. Attempts were made by some owners but (imo) those were all just band aids for the most part. Couple the lack of a decent track with the strong rise over the last 15+ yrs for off-road and well it's no surprise that on-road has fallen. As to what looks cooler well thatís your opinion and thats fine; in my opinion todays off-road is more on-road than off-road. The tracks are just hard packed asphalt like tracks with some jumps, I mean how can you call it off-road when the track crew is sweeping the dirt off the track. I think real off-road is nice loamy tracks with big rooster tails; that is just my opinion of course.

Originally Posted by BantAz View Post

I like this idea, it would be easier for the Tucson racers and provide more track time so I will ask Todd tomorrow if he has any reservations. However Evan is correct that it's not a year-round solution as racing in the 5-6 summer months during the day is not much fun. So I would suggest every other week for the next two months while the temps are tolerable. By then we would have to suspend things until after the summer months.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service