https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...d=0CJEBEPwSMAo
Old 01-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Lonny.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Cool

Well, after my first time at Hobbytown Gilbert here is my take away:

1) 17.5 is plenty of motor for the grip of the track. the track is pretty low grip but with some smooth driving you can get the tires to hook up.

2) The track is very rough, big tires, soft springs, and stiff side dampers i think are the way to go.

3) The time between races is loooooonnnnnngggggg. if you can run more than one class it would be recommended. If you have an oval car or want to run oval it would be a good way to break up the waiting time.

4) Only 4 minutes for 1/12th scale is short but i understand the issue with a total of 26 heats to run.

On that note i thought the overall experience was positive. Bill Cline is talking about going again next week and i think i am game for that. I'll just make sure i have my laptop this time so i can play some games or do some work during the dead time.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys do any of you have an interest in a speed merchant rev4 with some parts and some tires for 50 bucks?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Call Bill Cline 480-252-9049
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We ran 1/12th at HT again Saturday. there is plenty of grip and the racing is fun.
Don't expect to have a canned setup like you can on a permanent carpet track like you guys had in Tucson. This is out door asphalt racing in a parking lot you need to be up on set up changes through out the day depending on weather and how the track is prepped. the only draw back is the they have about 25 to 30 heats so it does take a few hours between your runs but some of us brought other cars.
I think we had only 4 cars in 1/12 (but we had have about 10 guys up here with them they were just busy sat and could not come out) and 6 in F1 yes f1! it was fun too.
Just show up and run, you guys will be surprised how much fun you will have.
Don't worry about the set-up stuff as it will take some time to get used to RACING like real MEN again outside and on asphalt with ever changing conditions.
All my comments are in jest and in hopes you all will leave your keyboards and really show up and race with US! and not kill this before we really have a chance to get this going again.
Bill Cline
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Had a good time too racing F1 and 1/12th scale. Set up is the key. Try something then change it if it doesn't work. See you all again in two weeks. Looking out for snow balls...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Yup, i enjoyed running again on Saturday. BTW bill, where do you get wheels and tires for the F1 car, i'm thinking real hard about pulling the trigger on a yokomo F1 but don't know what tires to get or where to get them.

David
Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nissan man View Post
Yup, i enjoyed running again on Saturday. BTW bill, where do you get wheels and tires for the F1 car, i'm thinking real hard about pulling the trigger on a yokomo F1 but don't know what tires to get or where to get them.

David
Bill can order all of that stuff for you or you can look it up at TQ racing. Pitzimitsu tires or the TCS tires (SAME but made by Pit for Tamiya) work the best. Look up UF1 Still alive racing in the California site for more info. You may need to look back several pages but most everyone posts their set ups at one point or another. Rims you can go Tamiya or Exoteck with the 3mm off sets. Look up exoteck too. By the end of February the CRC WTF1 should be out too. F1 is a lot of fun especially running the UF1 races. 15 minutes of racing at a time plus 2 pit stops. We need to try this in 1/12th.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On ebay they have a F1 car from w3 that includes a speed control and motor for 250.00
What do you guys think?
Jake
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

OK, the other day I picked up the car and started prepping it for Sunday's race, until, of course, I realized CH was gone and I wasn't racing Sunday. Withdrawal symptoms!! So can we all pick a day when most of us can be there and race? Pick a day 2-3 weeks in the future so I can request the day off. Otherwise, I can't come until April 5.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Default RC in Phoenix

If you don't know I am Paul Banta. Myself David and James were doing 1/12 scale at CH until they closed. I tried Hobby Town (Gilbert) Too long for very little track time. So, I decided to try setting up a track at my house. We will have a shake down run Sunday, March 2nd. (So far Paul, David, James Banta, Bill Cline, and?) I have reasonable asphalt, boards and dots

Still looking for lap timing. MyLaps is $$$$.

Hey, if anyone has a better idea let's hear it!

Paul

Last edited by BantAz; 02-19-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: goofed!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Originally Posted by BantAz View Post
If you don't know I am Paul Banta. Myself David and James were doing 1/12 scale at CH until they closed. I tried Hobby Town (Gilbert) Too long for very little track time. So, I decided to try setting up a track at my house. We will have a shake down run Sunday, March 1st. (So far Paul, David, James Banta, Bill Cline, and?) I have reasonable asphalt, boards and dots

Still looking for lap timing. MyLaps is $$$$.

Hey, if anyone has a better idea let's hear it!

Paul
I think there are three tming systems in the east valley that are not being used right now. Bill's that he sold to Hobby Action, Glitch(Josh Foster), and the one from CH that Raymond has. I'd suggest that you and/or Bill contact these three and see if you can work out a rental deal for one of them.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default oops! I meant Sunday March 2nd

We will be doing a track test on Sunday March 2nd (NOT March 1st)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A couple questions, none of it serious so don't get too excited, just rambling and trying to get a feel for the situation:

Does anybody know if that new super HobbyTown location in Phx with cart racing and the indoor track, that will hopefully open in the next few months, is going to have any on-road racing? If so, great.

If we want to go rug racing again, without the support of any hobby store, we need to find somewhere to race that is indoors and we need to do that before anybody makes any comittments to buying a rug. Does anybody know of a school gym, vacant warehouse, or something along those lines? I'm going to try to appeal to a few schools in my area but I'm not sure if they would let us unless they can be convinced to make it a school function... I'll give it a go anyway but I promise nothing.

One other possibility is Marana Middle School. It has a good looking asphalt paved area outside with some shade, and I might be able to convince them to let us run there... a much easier drive from Phoenix than needing to get to the middle of Tucson for sure. Then again, for asphalt racing HT Gilbert is much closer for anybody in Phx even if we were running in Casa Grand.

I did have a Lonny-esque moment when I found myself looking at my road cars hanging on the wall and couldn't bring myself to take apart my 1/12 scale to put an offroad car back together. That TC6 that never worked quite right was not so lucky

Well, rant over, Please PM me an address for the March 2 run, and if anybody wants to carpool just PM me and we'll figure it out.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service