1/8 Nitro Off Road Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default 1/8 Nitro Off Road Thread

Since there are currently ZERO 1/8 nitro tracks operating on a REGULAR basis, I thought the nitro guys might want to place to organize where they may be trying to race week to week and keep the FF thread to FF related discussions.

For example there are a few events in the next couple months worth attending if you don't mind the drive:

10/12 - JBRL @ Proline Raceway (Banning, CA)
10/19 - Top Notch Tour @ Palm Desert RC (Palm Desert, CA)
10/19 - Cash Race @ Yuma
10/26-27 - "The Dual" @ Thunder Alley and Proline (2 tracks, 2 days)

Paddocks????

Any others??????
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

CVRC Chula Vista RC
TLR series race OCT 19

But if I were to do one of the races on the 19th I would go to Palm Desert there track is very nice.

I am trying to make it out for the Dual and I believe several others are too.

Trevor what races do you plan to attend? Do you plan to race nitro on a regular basis or stick to electric most of the time and just do some of the larger nitro events? Also if you do plan to do alot of nitro do you know of any of the other local pros that plan to get back into nitro racing?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by adubaz7 View Post
Trevor what races do you plan to attend? Do you plan to race nitro on a regular basis or stick to electric most of the time and just do some of the larger nitro events? Also if you do plan to do alot of nitro do you know of any of the other local pros that plan to get back into nitro racing?
I plan to do a lot more nitro but it looks like for now any club racing will have to be electric. October 19-20 is SIGP @ Competition Hobbies so I'll probably miss the TNS race as well.

I think I'm going to try and make "The Dual" the week after, it looks pretty interesting. 2 tracks in 2 days should be cool.

Fischer is always up for racing nitro and I'm sure the AE guys would enjoy racing at least once a month once we have a steady program again.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just a short time ago there were 11 tracks to race at all within a 2 hour drive. Almost all of them had Nitro and electric circuits. Look what a mess we made of it........ How sad, and in one of the few states we can race 365
Old 09-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Just a short time ago there were 11 tracks to race at all within a 2 hour drive. Almost all of them had Nitro and electric circuits. Look what a mess we made of it........ How sad, and in one of the few states we can race 365
It's not the racers fault tracks go out of business. As a matter of fact it's NEVER the racer's fault. As with any business, there are reasons why some survive when MOST others fail.

And I'll go a step further. Too many tracks can be the biggest problem. Too many people open race tracks EXPECTING current racers to suddenly flock to them. That's a blueprint for failure.

The only way for a track to survive is if it continually creates it's own racer base. Meaning that every year over 50% of it's regulars weren't racers only a year before.

This hobby needs a continual flow of new racers. Too many track owners spend all their time trying to draw current racers to their facility when they should be spending their time figuring out how to attract new people to their facility and turning them into new racers.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I didn't mean the racers trev, I meant all of us who were more "involved" with some of the tracks. I wish I had a dime for everyone who volunteered to come help with one thing or another and never showed up. I am probably guilty of that a few times myself. It's just hard to ask people to break their humps for free and expect blind loyalty, but it seems that may be the key factor to assuring track survival. We all know tracks are not a huge money maker, so if we want a place to race we all have to pitch in every now and then for the simple pleasure of lasting success and so we have a place to play. I agree 100% with you about new racers. There only seems to be 100-150 electric guys and maybe 50 dedicated Nitro Racers and that's just not enough for multiple venues to make enough to stay around. I Think once we get all settled at Red Rock we will offer some introduction to racing classes so bashers can see how much more fun racing is than just going fast up and down the street.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I Think once we get all settled at Red Rock we will offer some introduction to racing classes so bashers can see how much more fun racing is than just going fast up and down the street.
That would be an awesome idea James.

I mainly put my post out there because there are always people looking to start a track, and the door is wide open right now for anyone doing an outdoor track. I'm hoping that future track owners will have their focus in the right place from day one.

When we opened the Nitro Pit there was nowhere to race nitro so we were able to attract all the current racer base and have successful club racing from day one. But after the first year things really fell off because because our location was so far out it was tough to create new racers. It really wasn't until Quicks opened up in Surprise, mixed with our Friday night practice that he promoted, that we started creating new racers and our club race numbers went up.

So the bottom line is that while we really need a new outdoor/nitro facility (preferably on the East side), it needs to have a visible location and a way to consistently create new racers if it is to have a chance to survive.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

On another note... Anyone racing this weekend?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Im gonna go to srs tomorrow and play flashlight because i cant do the out of town thing 1 week after gas champs. Cant wait to get our track open again .
Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Going to hit deckers jackrabbit tomorrow night, not an organized program but its a lot of fun and some wheel time....did I mention its fluffy moto dirt?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

So funny, I was on to create an arizona nitro thread and here it is. Thanks Trevor!

Ok guys, we're going to need to be creative, to continue racing, while fear farm is concentrating on the haunt. The first race is easy, Paddocks on oct 12th. We have been racing at mikes place pre fear farm, canyon, nitro pit, e.t., and hobby action! Thanks for the invite mike!

Few details:

Classes: pro buggy, open buggy, truggy, nitro novice. Also, I think pro 4, stadium truck, and pro 2 are great our there so bring those along.

Electric classes:
$10 entry
1 qualifier
10 minute main (8 for pro 4)

Nitro classes:
$20 entry
Program to be determined but don't expect the standard club race format.

Practice:
From noon to 4 with a practice fee (fee to be determined) I'm doing this to generate more $ for mike.

Registration starts at 2pm.

Racing starts at 4pm.

Other items:

Sound: I'm going to ask mike for permission to use the ff sound system. Also asking Gary for permission to use his gear. (Not going to blast the neighbors but decent sound at drivers stand and on track would be nice)

Lights: here's where I need some help. I would love to have 1 portable light out there to light up that place. If anyone has a hookup, please help us out. We will be racing into the night and that dirt is dark....

More details coming but at least you now have some stuff to think about.

Have a good weekend!

Kenny
[email protected]
Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowjacey View Post
Going to hit deckers jackrabbit tomorrow night, not an organized program but its a lot of fun and some wheel time....did I mention its fluffy moto dirt?
Come on out Joe !! Bring your 1/8 s and 1/10 gona start around 730p -8p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjI0...e_gdata_player

Last edited by azwheelman; 09-28-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Kenny, moving the amp in and out of the cabinet is a pain in the ass, as well as bad for the amp because it isn.t in a road case ($300 amp)

The radio shack amp is new and MAY actually work, since it was basically new and we hooked it up to the broken old speakers. 2 of the new speakers, cables and it might be good to go. We could test it out in about 10 minutes if we have power. Just food for thought
Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Since Paddocks is loamy, rutted dirt, the October 12th race will have heads up qualifying for positions, no ifmar quals for time.

Every time your car hits the track it will be a race for position with Arenacross style starts (front/back row).

No trophies, just a laid back club race day with a slightly different format.

Roll Call for Paddocks

Buggy:
- Sean Dickinson
- Albert Andrin
- Tom Stober
- Trevor Clement
- Josh Bend

Truggy:
Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Pro buggy
KB

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service