Different types of race tracks?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Different types of race tracks?

Hey all. I'm a racer in Illinois, I'm planning on moving to possibly Phoenix area in the summer. Real bright eh? lol I know..
Anyways, We basically race indoor carpet here in. I have 17.5 Sedan, 25.5 VTA, 17.5 1/12 scale all road course. Is there any good places to races these cars? or am I going to have to go off-roading? I like the idea of carpet so my cars stay cleaner lol. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Competition Hobbies in Tucson is the only carpet track in AZ currently, Cline hobbies races on-road but it's done on asphault.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go off road its beautiful 10 months of the year and we have all sorts of off road tracks
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Don't be scared to let your tires leave the ground. It's a great time. I love One Hobbies in Peoria, they keep this track in tip top shape only have to clean my car cuz I'm weird like that.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

There is plenty of opportunity to run your on-road cars, as mentioned the only carpet track in the state is at CH in Tucson about a 1 1/2 to 2hr drive depending on where in the valley you live. A really great facility with a solid 1/12th and WGT offereings; two or three of us hard core 1/12guys from here make the trip down once or twice a month to run there. The HT Gilbert has a large on-road following(no carpet races are run in the preped p-lot) with VTA, and multiple touring classes offered, races are run there Thurs nights and Sat. Saddly off-road has more tracks currently and thus you will be told that off-road is the only choice in AZ, but that is just not true.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ya, I've actually was driving to PIR to see the track and i saw 6 tracks in complex i do believe. I use to have a Mugen MBX6 Eco but nearest track was a 120 mile round trip and only raced on Friday's and times wouldn't get the mains started till 12 mid. That's tooo late to run mains. I've been throwing the idea around of getting a Team Durango SCT or TRL SCT to race outdoors if i had to.
I have 2 Xray's for sedan and VTA right now. Just somethings to think about.
I think since I heard Kinwald appears down there in AZ I'll need to step up my game.
What type of motors ya all run down there? I'm use to 17.5 blinky mode.
Do you all run the boost on motors
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Originally Posted by tallcardinalfan View Post
Ya, I've actually was driving to PIR to see the track and i saw 6 tracks in complex i do believe. I use to have a Mugen MBX6 Eco but nearest track was a 120 mile round trip and only raced on Friday's and times wouldn't get the mains started till 12 mid. That's tooo late to run mains. I've been throwing the idea around of getting a Team Durango SCT or TRL SCT to race outdoors if i had to.
I have 2 Xray's for sedan and VTA right now. Just somethings to think about.
I think since I heard Kinwald appears down there in AZ I'll need to step up my game.
What type of motors ya all run down there? I'm use to 17.5 blinky mode.
Do you all run the boost on motors
Last weekend was the annual SIGP at CH, Kinwald placed second in 17.5 sedan, and sources say that he's talking about running mod 1/12th this weekend. Most of the sedan classes are 17.5 blinky, in fact all the on-road classes are being run blinky right now. I dont run any off-road so I cannot comment on the class structures, you might want to check the homepages for SRS and Onehobbies to see what classes are offered.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

dirt oval is at srs we have a street stock clas that uses the touring car set up
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I moved from Illinois to Phoenix back in April. Before moving, In Illinois, I raced on-road, tamiya mini cooper, also have Xray VTA and F104.
I haven't raced in Arizona yet. In a long run, I'm planning on practicing/racing in Tuscon once every few weeks and to race locally, most likely I will be getting into offroad very soon.

Phoenix is a great place to live, but the lack of the onroad carpet track makes me sad...hopefully something will open up in the near future.

Also, there is pretty good Kyosho Mini-z racing going on in AZ (usually on Saturdays).