Like Tree1Likes

FEAR FARM RC RACEWAY

Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fourseventeen View Post
I dont bout you guys but it was cold as a mofo last night out there! And at 5pm it looked like rain was coming....surprised we didnt get wet! got to run a few laps with the new SCTE...suspension felt pretty good but may need to work on the pro4 4600kv/RX8 settings as it didnt seem much faster then my 2wd truck with Castle 3800kv sidewinder sct in the back straight. May be the 5000mah 20C's im using?? (I have 6000mah 60c coming).

Bingo! I'm surprised you didnt puff that battery using it with that motor/SC!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yeah no sh*t Jeff. Its a hard case battery but yeah im surprised I didnt blow the thing up too! I didnt have anything else to run but one of my wifes 2wd batteries lol. My real batteries should be here today or tomorrow.
So think that using that battery would have really hindered the top end power on this set up? If so thats good to hear cause I was thinking "why is this thing not scary fast in the straights!". I mean it wasnt slow it just wasnt the WOW factor I was expecting.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah no sh*t Jeff. Its a hard case battery but yeah im surprised I didnt blow the thing up too! I didnt have anything else to run but one of my wifes 2wd batteries lol. My real batteries should be here today or tomorrow.
So think that using that battery would have really hindered the top end power on this set up? If so thats good to hear cause I was thinking "why is this thing not scary fast in the straights!". I mean it wasnt slow it just wasnt the WOW factor I was expecting.
It would hinder power over all but it should be soft on bottom and loose power as you run the battery . Top end sounds like your geared wrong , I ran a 14 when I ran that motor and my throttle punch was dialed down to about 65, no timing and my temps were about 155 .
Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
It would hinder power over all but it should be soft on bottom and loose power as you run the battery . Top end sounds like your geared wrong , I ran a 14 when I ran that motor and my throttle punch was dialed down to about 65, no timing and my temps were about 155 .
I'm at 13/40 with my 4000kv. A 14 would carry me on the straight a bit faster, but it would not have the same punch off the corner and that the jump faces.

The torque curves on the two motors are slightly different. What I'm saying is i agree with Doug, he's got you in the right ballpark regardless of the battery you use. I have used a 6000 mah dynamite pack that is rated 20-30C for practice, and I don't see much (if any) performance difference between it and the xceleron lipos I have for racing.

Matt
Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Truggy is ready

Ahhhhhh yea! Truggy finally got some love, cleaned up, put in the G3 tray, rx, old GX5R engine, M2C clutch, it's on!
I have no idea how guys run 2 nitro classes on club day... not happening for me, it's a truck weekend!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

I would say its either the battery, or the speed control settings, or gearing. Or a combo of all 3. I run a 65c with that motor and a castle MMP and it runs like a raped ape!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gearing I am running the stock spur gear (40 I think) and a 14T (I also bought a 13T but have not used it). Motor temps after a 5 min solid run was around 120 degrees, tested about 2 mins after. The current limiting is set to 80%. Cedric used his laptop to set up the parameters of the ESC last night at the track. I dont have the data cable for the Teken so I am not sure what other info he set it up with.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

You are geared right, unfortunately I cant really help you with that speed control since I have never had any experience with it (well, I installed one last week and it went up in smoke when I turned it on but I digress).

Its either your battery or the speed control settings. If you dont get your new batteries by tomorrow, let me know and you can borrow one of mine for the day.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gearing I am running the stock spur gear (40 I think) and a 14T (I also bought a 13T but have not used it). Motor temps after a 5 min solid run was around 120 degrees, tested about 2 mins after. The current limiting is set to 80%. Cedric used his laptop to set up the parameters of the ESC last night at the track. I dont have the data cable for the Teken so I am not sure what other info he set it up with.
I do not limit current on the rx8. With a 20-30 c pack you are cutting the max amp draw to 16-24C. Basically you made the pipe smaller.

Matt
Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

What about when I am running my 6000mah 60c packs that will be here tomorrow...will I want current limited? Everything I have came across in the SCTE topic people are saying to limit to 80. with the limit at 80% with the 20C 5000 packs my temps were staying at or below about 120 ish.

And thanks for the offer to loan a battery Jeff...I will have at least 2 new ones here tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

What about when I am running my 6000mah 60c packs that will be here tomorrow...will I want current limited? Everything I have came across in the SCTE topic people are saying to limit to 80. with the limit at 80% with the 20C 5000 packs my temps were staying at or below about 120 ish.

And thanks for the offer to loan a battery Jeff...I will have at least 2 new ones here tomorrow.
if you want i can bring out my labtop and we can change anything you want, pm me if you want to do that, if i dont receive one i wont bring it tho. As stated tho with that battery i would not restrict it , with the bigger packs yes you will want to restrict it, to exactly where is personal preference. Once you get a proper pack, and proper settings on your esc, then if you still need more speed play with gearing .
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Douglas, that would be awesome. Ill PM you.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Batteries have nothing to do with your top speed. The C ratings are basically "punch" or "umph". The high C rating batteries are good for the umph needed on the heavy 4wd's but be careful as they also discharge faster as well. Something to consider with the heavy SCTE pig.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

So should these 6000mah 60C batteries be good for this beast? Chizzle is that what truck your running? Seen your moving around the track Thursday night! That thing was screaming! Need to get mine dialed in like that...then of coarse learn to drive this thing better
Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

No, my truck is a Durango. Fun truck but it doesn't have that tank like durability of the Losi. Of course, it doesn't drive like a tank either, lol.

Those batteries should be fine. Before the SCTE came out, most tracks were running 10 minute mains for Pro4. Now, everyone is at 8 minutes or less. You'll get a feel for how many warmup laps you can take before parking it so you can complete the main, lol. Everybody's driving style is different too. Some guys are constantly pinned while other guys are more easy on the throttle. This plays a huge role in battery run time as well. Just make sure your LVC is set and time a run during practice. Run at your normal race pace and see how long they last. Don't worry about your top speed on the straight. Because remember, slower is faster.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.