Like Tree1Likes

FEAR FARM RC RACEWAY

Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Really? Because I have a handful of cars I'm supposed to have hardcase LIPOs too. Getting with the times is not buying into old schools of thought on LIPOs. They have evolved and are much safer than in the past.

A soft pack is certainly more vulnerable to a puncture, but battery tray designs have also evolved and are much better at protecting the battery in a lot of cases.

I personally refuse to pay a high premium on a battery just because it made the ROAR approved list. Especially when everything that I've read suggests that all LIPO cells are manufactured in China, none in the U.S. If you think your LIPO is better just because you paid a placebo fee from a U.S. company who rebranded a pack of cells from China, then more power to you.

Honestly, I may buy some hardcase packs the next time I make a battery purchase, but it sure won't be because of racing requirements. It will be because of my own reasons, which will probably include a good deal on a good battery that just also happens to be a hardcase.

P.S. My world didn't end. My world is just fine. I inspect my batteries after every run, check balancing, look for physical damage, etc. Good LIPO care is what should be promoted, not a plastic shell. In the end, no one can fully prevent a failure, even in a hardcase battery.

ben
Ben -

I see your frustration because I'm guessing you got a ton of softcase packs which mean you got a lot of money invested in batteries you can't use. I have a bunch of $600+ in softcase LIPOS I can't use also. But everyone here is just sharing their experience and wisdom. We are lucky to be in an area with so many helpful drivers in the RC industry. If you need any help, you will find that they will bend over backwards to help.

But the bottom line is the hardcase is for added safety. It's still not perfect, but it is safer than no hardcase at all. The LIPO technology has gotten better, but I don't think they fixed the explosion issues when they get punctured. It's not a question of IF, but WHEN they get punctured. Because it will happen eventually. The hardcase is for the added safety.

There are guys like you, that are careful in maintaining their softcase batteries properly by balancing, protecting them in the chassis, and inspecting them etc. And I agree that greatly reduces your potential risks.

But there's no denying that there are also people that don't have a clue. Maybe they are new, or they are just not that careful about their stuff, or maybe just accidents happen. I'm guessing the rules put in place are even more important for these situations... they protect them and everyone else.

Everyone just wants to have fun so safety is first.

Ernest
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razo125 View Post
Ben -

I see your frustration because I'm guessing you got a ton of softcase packs which mean you got a lot of money invested in batteries you can't use. I have a bunch of $600+ in softcase LIPOS I can't use also. But everyone here is just sharing their experience and wisdom. We are lucky to be in an area with so many helpful drivers in the RC industry. If you need any help, you will find that they will bend over backwards to help.

But the bottom line is the hardcase is for added safety. It's still not perfect, but it is safer than no hardcase at all. The LIPO technology has gotten better, but I don't think they fixed the explosion issues when they get punctured. It's not a question of IF, but WHEN they get punctured. Because it will happen eventually. The hardcase is for the added safety.

There are guys like you, that are careful in maintaining their softcase batteries properly by balancing, protecting them in the chassis, and inspecting them etc. And I agree that greatly reduces your potential risks.

But there's no denying that there are also people that don't have a clue. Maybe they are new, or they are just not that careful about their stuff, or maybe just accidents happen. I'm guessing the rules put in place are even more important for these situations... they protect them and everyone else.

Everyone just wants to have fun so safety is first.

Ernest
I'd say frustrated is definately what I am. I guess I had hoped that FF wouldn't make a requirement like this. We'll see, still a chance for change.

ben
Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I'd say frustrated is definately what I am. I guess I had hoped that FF wouldn't make a requirement like this. We'll see, still a chance for change.

ben
Why wouldn't they??? every track that have ever been to requires Hard Case lipos.... Its deff. a saftey thing... I mean any lipo can go up but the hard case packs are a lot safer!

Keeping in mind if could happen with a hard case but A LOT more prone with a soft pack.... But how would you feel if your soft case lipo blew up in someones face when they were trying to marshel?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Hard Case Lipo

Hi All,

We apologize for any hard feelings the hard case lipo rule may have caused. The rules for hard case lipo is for safety reasons. They are less prone to punctures caused by hard landings or hits possibly causing a fire or explosions. This rule has been around for awhile now in the racing community.

We are a new track and our racing program is new as well. Rather than re-invent the wheel and mess with what others have successfully done with their race programs, we have simply adopted those programs, i.e. class structure and rules. This way a racer who races at track A can race at track B because the classes and rules are the same. We are trying our best to accomodate everyone and hope that we can provide a place where you can have fun racing, practicing or just hang out.

Thank you,
FFRC
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ben
I really hope you don't let a rule that has been argued and put to rest a long time ago stop you from racing. I have a hard case pack u can borrow for a few weeks if it would help. Come race and have fun, believe me there are even sillier rules we've all had to learn to live with recently!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
I really hope you don't let a rule that has been argued and put to rest a long time ago stop you from racing. I have a hard case pack u can borrow for a few weeks if it would help. Come race and have fun, believe me there are even sillier rules we've all had to learn to live with recently!
What about a Losi for a few weeks I could use that
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diamondracing View Post
What about a Losi for a few weeks I could use that
you wanna start winning i see? lol : )
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Hard pack lipo's

Im trying to learn more about electric because I'd like to get into it, can you buy a hard case to go around your soft pack lipo's?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default race

Quick question for FearFarmRC. I see with the race on the 19th that it is Novice, Open 1/8 buggy 20min main, and Open Truggy 20min main are you going to have an electric 1/8 scale class or are they going to run with the Nitro????? Just wondering because it looks like you have alot of 1/8 electric. Thanks Marcus

I am looking forward to the race
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FearFarmRC View Post
Hi All,

We apologize for any hard feelings the hard case lipo rule may have caused. The rules for hard case lipo is for safety reasons. They are less prone to punctures caused by hard landings or hits possibly causing a fire or explosions. This rule has been around for awhile now in the racing community.

We are a new track and our racing program is new as well. Rather than re-invent the wheel and mess with what others have successfully done with their race programs, we have simply adopted those programs, i.e. class structure and rules. This way a racer who races at track A can race at track B because the classes and rules are the same. We are trying our best to accomodate everyone and hope that we can provide a place where you can have fun racing, practicing or just hang out.

Thank you,
FFRC
Fear Farm is doing an excellent job!!! I have been out their 3 times and had a great time each time. My 5 year old had a blast as well!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Not to fuel the debate any further, but I need to ask. I run LIFE packs, which are soft case, and safe as a kitten. Is that legit?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Go pet your pussy.......cat somewhere else.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JayGT2 View Post
Im trying to learn more about electric because I'd like to get into it, can you buy a hard case to go around your soft pack lipo's?
About a year ago, I looked around for something like that and unfortunately I didn't find anything. If you want to learn more about electrics you can pretty much ask questions here or the the local hobby shops. Most of the experienced local team guys read here and the other local track threads. Just ask here or at the track.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.