Like Tree1Likes

FEAR FARM RC RACEWAY

Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
I'd ask Doug.
then give me proof these is a difference, a while back ago i even seen a pic of a shipment of lipos from max amps from japan.

btw im just talking performance, im not in this soft case hard case debate
Old 06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
Armourbl

The guys that you refer to as "only nitro" have well over 30 years of rc experience including electric. It is obviously at the tracks discretion to allow soft case or not. I think all we are saying is that there is a warranted reason for this.
When is the last time you saw this happen at a track, in a car? Even if it was recent, how many times have you seen it.

Based on your argument, and that of others, we should also surround all tracks with walls and lexan, just incase an 8 pound buggy flies off a jump out of control into a crowd of innocent onlookers at 45 plus mph. Hey, it could happen...

ben
Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by will g View Post
Hey whatever floats your boat good luck i personally would ask them in person bny the way im not arguing this just giving info on what can be or could be done
Thanks Will,

If I don't see an answer from them here, I'll ask them in person next time I'm there.

ben
Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ive personally seen it 3 times with HARDCASE Roar approved lipos.. They smoked badly but didn't cause any collateral damage. Ive also seen a guy blow up 2 soft cell CHEAP CHINA Lipos in the same night. If it weren't for Humpty helms, he probably would have burned down his whole pit table. So i guess thats 5 for me in the span of 1-2 years?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
then give me proof these is a difference, a while back ago i even seen a pic of a shipment of lipos from max amps from japan.

btw im just talking performance, im not in this soft case hard case debate

Thats the problem.. i wasn't talking about performance i was talking about SAFETY.

Also, i dont think you have enough electric experience to determine whether batteries are equal in performance yet?

And again, i give up.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
Thats the problem.. i wasn't talking about performance i was talking about SAFETY.

Also, i dont think you have enough electric experience to determine whether batteries are equal in performance yet?

And again, i give up.
Ok mike, i pmd u, no need to argue i would like talk a little more and gets my facts straight
Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

so does the hard pack prevent them from exploding Mike?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

So any 2WD buggies going out Thursday?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
so does the hard pack prevent them from exploding Mike?
I would say in most cases.. ive never seen one explode in a hard case..

the two that burned up during racing at SRS a while back actually shorted out and completely smoked the battery... They were taken out of the trucks and buried before they could get really bad..
Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok Ben you got me. I have not seen a Hard case explode. I have puffed my share of hard case's though. But what I have seen in the past year is a 5000 4s SOFT case Lipo blowup and burn as well as a couple of soft rx packs smoke and not burn. But that's all irrelevant.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Lipos are NOT all create equal! I believe the ROAR hardcase rule came about to protect the cells from being punctured by another vehicle in a crash because that would result in an instant fireball!

The hardcase will not protect anyone from fire or smoke, if your lipo decides to go. Lipos can burn as hot as 1600 degrees. The hardcases are made of plastic and still burn just as fast and the minute the chain reactions starts those hardcase split apart anyway.

There are a lot of high quality soft pack available. The airplane and heli guys use them and they have to be high quality because planes and heli are ALOT harder on batteries than cars.

Mike is right, cheap lipos = melted car. But "a whole pit table" I think your talking about Hatfield, so that doesn't count. He has an uncanny ability to make a bad situation 10 times worse
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

I watched my 1/10 scale truck burn to a crisp at srs. Mine was one of the first ones. "lucky me"
Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Why the hardcase LIPO requirement? It is an outdoor track. You don't have this requirement for practice. Why would it matter for race day? I don't race, but if I ever want to this will keep me from being able to. I don't have any hardcase LIPOs.
ben
You act like this rule is the end of the world and makes it impossible for you to race. But when I read your signature I think it's funny:

Traxxas E-Maxx -- waiting a motor/esc transplant thanks to my D8T-E project
Losi Speed T -- rebuilt and converted into SC10, SC10 ESC, Titan 550.
Associated SC10 RTR -- Losi Speed T motor and ESC
HPI Vorza RTR -- all stock, uber fast and fun
HB D8T-E -- Neu Castle 2200, Mamba Monster ESC, RCM conversion kit.

How about you add "And a hard case lipo" to it?

Even if you somehow talk FF into changing the rule, you're going to have to get with the times eventually anyway. There's tons of great racing in AZ, a KBRL series that will have a race at FF, and all of them require hard case lipos as per ROAR rules.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
You act like this rule is the end of the world and makes it impossible for you to race. But when I read your signature I think it's funny:

Traxxas E-Maxx -- waiting a motor/esc transplant thanks to my D8T-E project
Losi Speed T -- rebuilt and converted into SC10, SC10 ESC, Titan 550.
Associated SC10 RTR -- Losi Speed T motor and ESC
HPI Vorza RTR -- all stock, uber fast and fun
HB D8T-E -- Neu Castle 2200, Mamba Monster ESC, RCM conversion kit.

How about you add "And a hard case lipo" to it?

Even if you somehow talk FF into changing the rule, you're going to have to get with the times eventually anyway. There's tons of great racing in AZ, a KBRL series that will have a race at FF, and all of them require hard case lipos as per ROAR rules.
Really? Because I have a handful of cars I'm supposed to have hardcase LIPOs too. Getting with the times is not buying into old schools of thought on LIPOs. They have evolved and are much safer than in the past.

A soft pack is certainly more vulnerable to a puncture, but battery tray designs have also evolved and are much better at protecting the battery in a lot of cases.

I personally refuse to pay a high premium on a battery just because it made the ROAR approved list. Especially when everything that I've read suggests that all LIPO cells are manufactured in China, none in the U.S. If you think your LIPO is better just because you paid a placebo fee from a U.S. company who rebranded a pack of cells from China, then more power to you.

Honestly, I may buy some hardcase packs the next time I make a battery purchase, but it sure won't be because of racing requirements. It will be because of my own reasons, which will probably include a good deal on a good battery that just also happens to be a hardcase.

P.S. My world didn't end. My world is just fine. I inspect my batteries after every run, check balancing, look for physical damage, etc. Good LIPO care is what should be promoted, not a plastic shell. In the end, no one can fully prevent a failure, even in a hardcase battery.

ben

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.