Like Tree1Likes

FEAR FARM RC RACEWAY

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Default Still riding the high from Saturday!

Thanks again all that came out Saturday, there was some great racing and I had a blast!!

Thanks again to everyone involved in the recent track build. I really appreciate you taking your time to build our playground!

hontrx265r: Joey will surely put in a Joey layout. We will have equipment available to him for any type of track he invisions. Probable stretch it to the north a bit if he would like as well. I'm really excited about this track because it's not too difficult for club racing. A big nitro challenge track is awesome for the nitro challenge but the average racers gets frustrated during club races. If you and Vereck make a few more changes over the next month or two, I think this will be a really good club race track. I know I had a blast!!

The Juice: Are you thinking fencing to lean against or bleachers? I'll look around for bleachers and other options. Because the back of the track is elevated, it would be cool to have room up there for some seating and we have plans to have spectator seating up on the AZ hobbies conex box (to the east of the drivers stand. There will be a ramp from the drivers stand to the top of that box and also a ramp down from there, I'm thinking the rear portion of that connex box will be for staging, with Rexrode playing sherrif. Right now Fear Farm is in the middle of a 3 month period getting ready for the October "Fear Farm Halloween extravaganza". Those guys work 24/7 for 3 months straight!! Once they're done with that, look for lots of further changes to be completed. The facility is nowhere close to being done so now is the time to give your suggestions. Thanks for yours!!

Track Maintenance: We're still learning how to multi-task at Fear Farm and in recent weeks that's become more apparent than ever. lol While we were focused on the 1/8 track build, proper attention was not given to the 1/10 track. I was there on a couple practice nights and it seemed like the track was always dry. Running the track dry led to it blowing out to the point where you can't really race it like prior weeks/months. To ensure our race tracks are always in excellent running condition, we have added a track maintenance crew. Roy Esckelson, Chance Renstrom, and Dave Burt will be maintaining the tracks weekly so that we don't find ourselves in this same position again. Thank you guys in advance, for your future efforts!

Tiller: We would like to try tilling up a small section of the existing track, to see if that's a good way to rebuild sections. Instead of buying a roto-tiller and then finding out it doesn't really work, I'm asking if someone could possibly let us use one for a few hours. Please let me know if you have ideas on how to resurface....

Thanks for your time,

Kenny
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hontrx265r View Post
Will the track layout be all new for the nitro challenge? Not that I don't like the track layout now because it is fun..but .. that first layout was amazing! Hope to see something like that again.
The original FF layout was great!!!! The only problem with it was that it wasnt club racer/turnmarshall friendly. We are trying to keep that in mind on all of our future layouts it is impossible to have 15 turnmarshalls for a club race. That and we have alot of new people that would get very frustrated at that kind of a layout. We dont want to discourage anybody but we totally want feedback and try to see what we can do to make all racers happy.
Thanks
Vareck Wright

COME ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dbackmasta View Post
Tiller: We would like to try tilling up a small section of the existing track, to see if that's a good way to rebuild sections. Instead of buying a roto-tiller and then finding out it doesn't really work, I'm asking if someone could possibly let us use one for a few hours. Please let me know if you have ideas on how to resurface....

Thanks for your time,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Just a quick thought on the roto-tiller idea. Something you might want to consider would be to use a Hilti rotrary hammer drill. It is an electric jack hammer that you can rent at Home Depot for a couple of hours. You can get different bits like a spade shovel bit and a tamping plate. The spade bit will allow you to break up the hard surface to re-shape or remove a small section. The tamping plate will pack it back down....

Just think roto-tiller would have a harder time getting through the hard packed surface.

Hope this helps...

Rodney Gutierrez.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dbackmasta View Post
The Juice: Are you thinking fencing to lean against or bleachers? I'll look around for bleachers and other options. Because the back of the track is elevated, it would be cool to have room up there for some seating and we have plans to have spectator seating up on the AZ hobbies conex box (to the east of the drivers stand. There will be a ramp from the drivers stand to the top of that box and also a ramp down from there, I'm thinking the rear portion of that connex box will be for staging, with Rexrode playing sherrif. Right now Fear Farm is in the middle of a 3 month period getting ready for the October "Fear Farm Halloween extravaganza". Those guys work 24/7 for 3 months straight!! Once they're done with that, look for lots of further changes to be completed. The facility is nowhere close to being done so now is the time to give your suggestions. Thanks for yours!!

Thanks for your time,

Kenny
Bleachers is kind of what I was thinking but I couldn't picture how much room was on the north side of the track between the farm stuff and the track. Fencing isn't a bad idea either, it kind of defines the safe area to keep kids and people away from the track like the hay does but a little better.

Who's heading up the track maintenance crew, I might be able to help with that?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by H2ODoc View Post
Hi Kenny,

Just a quick thought on the roto-tiller idea. Something you might want to consider would be to use a Hilti rotrary hammer drill. It is an electric jack hammer that you can rent at Home Depot for a couple of hours. You can get different bits like a spade shovel bit and a tamping plate. The spade bit will allow you to break up the hard surface to re-shape or remove a small section. The tamping plate will pack it back down....

Just think roto-tiller would have a harder time getting through the hard packed surface.

Hope this helps...

Rodney Gutierrez.
I have a 42lb. Makita Demo Hammer if we want to try this. I have the spade bit but I don't have the tamper plate. However, I think it might be kind of a bear to make quick work of it. I think a decent amount of moisture in the dirt along with a good quality rototiller will do the trick but open to try different methods for sure. Maybe break a few sections open with a demo hammer and then start working it with a tiller? I guess we'll find out.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default track

since we are talking about track layouts/ build up / maintenance etc.. I think it would be cool to add a short sand corner or something like they have been doing in super cross the past couple years.. Just to add some different terrain and it would change every lap.. move around alot etc.. kind of unpredictable.. soil section.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

since we are talking about track layouts/ build up / maintenance etc.. I think it would be cool to add a short sand corner or something like they have been doing in super cross the past couple years.. Just to add some different terrain and it would change every lap.. move around alot etc.. kind of unpredictable.. soil section.
1/10 scale cars get stuck very quickly in just a small amount of sand (even with paddles on it!). Ive been taking RC stuff to glamis for 20 years.....trust me, it wouldn't work!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default track

Sorry I'm thinking 1/8 track. I've taken rc cars to the dunes for years though and they tear it up.. not sure why you would say 1/10 would get stuck? I'm only talking like a corner or something its just something to slow people down.. and add unpredictable terrain.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry I'm thinking 1/8 track. I've taken rc cars to the dunes for years though and they tear it up.. not sure why you would say 1/10 would get stuck? I'm only talking like a corner or something its just something to slow people down.. and add unpredictable terrain.
My buddy brings his 2wd slash on 3S to the dunes all the time. It runs like a bat out of hell until he stops, then it gets stuck because the tires just dig in.

For crazy terrain, I would love a super slick (I'm talking ice/glass slick) turn that would be a super slow drifting turn! It probably wouldnt work well with an offroad track but that would be cool to try a super slick surface for a 180 degree turn!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Do you make a living selling bearings?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default sad..

Ok I guess that's just too left field for Rc racing... Wouldn't want to introduce any thing that might get in those Sealed bearings... We can just let it go.. someday you'll love it.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

An idea instead of the rototiller to break up the track. I have noticed Fear Farm has a piece of equipment called an "Aerovator" It is a pto driven aerifier they use on the soccer fields. If they have a small enough tractor that won't destroy the track when they drive on it this aerifier will shatter hard dry soil about 4 inches deep. A couple of passes and then break up the dirt chunks with a plate tamper I think would work very well . I think the only issue would be if they have a small enough tractor.
Gari Scherting
Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

I can assure everyone that there will not be a "sand" section anytime soon

Is it Saturday yet

BRAAAAP
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

At the 1:8 worlds in 08 the track had a sand box, slippery concrete corner and a 5 log drop off. They were all awesome additions to a sweet track.

That kind of stuff is what gives a track its character and seperates it from every other track. A paver section, wall ride, concrete corner, pvc pipe whoop section, I'm all for it
Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

+1 for sure.!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.