Like Tree1Likes

FEAR FARM RC RACEWAY

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FlyByWire View Post
Typically used in the novice classes by those who can't afford, or justify, the purchase of a personal transponder.
I am a novice and I will not be spending 100 bucks on a transponder untill that 100 dollars can no longer be spent on something that makes myself or my truck faster.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

DANG!!

It's been a while.....and that should get to the next page
Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

oops I guess it was already done.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerpDiggler View Post
I am a novice and I will not be spending 100 bucks on a transponder untill that 100 dollars can no longer be spent on something that makes myself or my truck faster.
How will you know how fast you "were" going without a transponder in the 1st place?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Here are my thoughts on a spec class vs. a mod class. You'll find more people become competitive in a spec class because it's easier to drive and stay in control. If you put a less experienced driver at the wheel of a pimped out 8.5 they're going to be all over the place. Remember the saying, "slower is faster"? Although I think the speeds could be a little boring, the racing could be a lot of fun!

*Take it for what it's worth as I do not own a 2wd buggy.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE View Post
Here are my thoughts on a spec class vs. a mod class. You'll find more people become competitive in a spec class because it's easier to drive and stay in control. If you put a less experienced driver at the wheel of a pimped out 8.5 they're going to be all over the place. Remember the saying, "slower is faster"? Although I think the speeds could be a little boring, the racing could be a lot of fun!

Chance, fast is fast, slow is not fast geez, no wonder why your always behind me
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

^^ +1 I agree w/Chance.

When I first got back into this hobby I wanted to get into the closest thing to a 'stock' class as possible. It seemed like 13.5 SC and/or buggy was it. Then I see some of them going at holy-breakneck speeds and ask a few folks how that was happening. "Timing" they say. At that point I realized "So much for a stock class".

Is it safe to assume that a spec class doesn't allow timing?

I haven't used a 17.5 motor yet but it seems like it might be the best motor for folks just learning to drive the buggies. I think a Buggy is hard enough to drive, let-alone have some monster powered motor in it. With everyone on reletively equal footing, and substantially less power, it would give the rookies a better chance at having a good time and staying interested.

It's a lot more fun to have 2 or 3 fighting for each position than having the guys who have the fastest stuff just roll off into the distance. Sure, the fast guys will still be at the front and even lapping others. But should keep the rest of the field fairly close together.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buzz65 View Post
How will you know how fast you "were" going without a transponder in the 1st place?
House transponder.....
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by HD CRUM View Post
It seems that if you havent been racing TOY CARS for the last 10 years you dont have the right to your own opinion!!!!!! These SUPERSTARS that keep getting on you must not have any other thing in life besides toy cars and BLOW UP DOLLS!!!!!!!!!!
Did you get a Toy Car yet.... or are you going to keep coming up with excuses? It's a little odd that you have no real interest in r/c cars but yet you like to come online and volunteer your worthless opinon. I googled massengill and your facebook came up...

Originally Posted by Brodie-72 View Post
How about just open mod? & if you feel like running a slower motor, then do so. I'd rather see a D main with bump ups, & have lots of people racing against each other, than 3 "A" mains of different motor limits where some certain 13.5's & 17.5's seem to be as fast as a mod.
I agree.... Who cares if you win, just have a good time. If you get lucky and beat a fast guy i.e; Friery, Clement, Peck, etc.. you can harrass them about it ...or at very least come on here and tell everyone
Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Not true. The way a boosted spec motor spools up, is not as consistent as a mod. Therefore as its less predictable, it might feel like its easier to drive, but your throttle finger doesn't need to be as accurate. I had a go on Ernest's car at Fear Farm the other night, & he had a 13.5 boosted thing in it. I was at least 60-80% on throttle just to get it around the track with an ok(ish) lap. & cased a few jumps as you couldn't hold tight lines & get on throttle, as you needed a serious run up. Its easy to make a fast motor slower, but not the other way around with the linear throttle feel. In gas, almost all the engines have plenty of power. But to go fast, making them feel linear on throttle, so as to respond to whatever your throttle input says, is key to going fast. Same in mod. You're wanting to make it easy to drive, but when you need that extra power, its there. The only 13.5 setup I've had a go on, & can say it felt fast, & as linear as it could be, was Randy's 2wd. But he put in the time & money to get there. & a pimped out mod? Not sure what one of those are. Dave Burt's 13.5, now that's pimped out lol. But it seems odd, when I here someone say; "Dude, my 13.5 is soo much faster than everyone else's". Because I'm thinking, "Really? I thought being 'spec motor' it should be pretty much the same speed as everyone else's."

It'd be great if more people ran mod I think. As some of the 13.5 drivers can drive. Now if they experienced the control with the speed, their racing will only improve. I will most likely be in the "C" main or something by this time. But I'm more than ok with this, as its racing with more people. & more competition. Not making the "A" that was a cluster in a spec race, or freight training the "C" to bump to the "B" etc. I know which one I'd prefer.

After racing, this week. If anyone that's willing to give it a try. Come & have a go on my 2wd. See what you think. No strings attached
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brodie-72 View Post
Not true. The way a boosted spec motor spools up, is not as consistent as a mod. Therefore as its less predictable, it might feel like its easier to drive, but your throttle finger doesn't need to be as accurate. I had a go on Ernest's car at Fear Farm the other night, & he had a 13.5 boosted thing in it. I was at least 60-80% on throttle just to get it around the track with an ok(ish) lap. & cased a few jumps as you couldn't hold tight lines & get on throttle, as you needed a serious run up. Its easy to make a fast motor slower, but not the other way around with the linear throttle feel. In gas, almost all the engines have plenty of power. But to go fast, making them feel linear on throttle, so as to respond to whatever your throttle input says, is key to going fast. Same in mod. You're wanting to make it easy to drive, but when you need that extra power, its there. The only 13.5 setup I've had a go on, & can say it felt fast, & as linear as it could be, was Randy's 2wd. But he put in the time & money to get there. & a pimped out mod? Not sure what one of those are. Dave Burt's 13.5, now that's pimped out lol. But it seems odd, when I here someone say; "Dude, my 13.5 is soo much faster than everyone else's". Because I'm thinking, "Really? I thought being 'spec motor' it should be pretty much the same speed as everyone else's."

It'd be great if more people ran mod I think. As some of the 13.5 drivers can drive. Now if they experienced the control with the speed, their racing will only improve. I will most likely be in the "C" main or something by this time. But I'm more than ok with this, as its racing with more people. & more competition. Not making the "A" that was a cluster in a spec race, or freight training the "C" to bump to the "B" etc. I know which one I'd prefer.

After racing, this week. If anyone that's willing to give it a try. Come & have a go on my 2wd. See what you think. No strings attached
When we say "spec" class, I believe we're talking non-boosted, no timing 13.5's or 17.5's. BIG difference.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Spec class can't be regulated at least in club race form. The only way a spec class can be accomplished is specifying certain performance enhancing gear:
  • Non Timing/Boosting ESC and Motor Combination (17.5)
  • Tires
  • Battery (max C rating)
  • or RTR kits from MFGs
Spec class is there to make racing affordable and even out the playing field by providing a platform where all performance enhancing equipment is equal to one another. It comes down to ability to setup the car and driver skill.

The few times I ran electric last year, I ran Pro light and 2 wheel drive light with a 13.5 motor. This was never called a "Spec Class". I could be wrong but I think it was geared to separate Pro/Expert Drivers from Intermediates. In club racing, it's OK to mix them up but in series races, there is no way I would have a chance of making the A, B or even C main with the likes of Maifield, Thayer, Denny, Fischer, Wheeler, Friery, Clement, Burt and other Experts. I ran a boosted 13.5 because technology allows us too. In reality, a non boosted 13.5 is all I could probably handle anyway.

Point is, your skill set will only allow you to drive as fast as you are able to drive. Having more motor than what you can handle will only hurt you and get you frustrated (thus my frustrations with my boosted 10.5 2wd). My daughter is now racing in Novice and she started with a slash and was having trouble making it around the track. I lowered her power to 50% and she started to make it around the track. As she was able to make it around, the better she got and the more she wanted to race. She is improving every time she goes out. I have her throttle set a about 70% and as she improves, I will increase her throttle setting. All forms of racing has a ladder system. That is why we start in the novice class and work your way up. I see a lot of novice drivers (especially kids) out there that would greatly benefit from 50% power. Whoa, I am starting to get off track.

Just my .05 cents
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nta01 View Post
Spec class can't be regulated at least in club race form. The only way a spec class can be accomplished is specifying certain performance enhancing gear:
  • Non Timing/Boosting ESC and Motor Combination (17.5)
  • Tires
  • Battery (max C rating)
  • or RTR kits from MFGs
Spec class is there to make racing affordable and even out the playing field by providing a platform where all performance enhancing equipment is equal to one another. It comes down to ability to setup the car and driver skill.

The few times I ran electric last year, I ran Pro light and 2 wheel drive light with a 13.5 motor. This was never called a "Spec Class". I could be wrong but I think it was geared to separate Pro/Expert Drivers from Intermediates. In club racing, it's OK to mix them up but in series races, there is no way I would have a chance of making the A, B or even C main with the likes of Maifield, Thayer, Denny, Fischer, Wheeler, Friery, Clement, Burt and other Experts. I ran a boosted 13.5 because technology allows us too. In reality, a non boosted 13.5 is all I could probably handle anyway.

Point is, your skill set will only allow you to drive as fast as you are able to drive. Having more motor than what you can handle will only hurt you and get you frustrated (thus my frustrations with my boosted 10.5 2wd). My daughter is now racing in Novice and she started with a slash and was having trouble making it around the track. I lowered her power to 50% and she started to make it around the track. As she was able to make it around, the better she got and the more she wanted to race. She is improving every time she goes out. I have her throttle set a about 70% and as she improves, I will increase her throttle setting. All forms of racing has a ladder system. That is why we start in the novice class and work your way up. I see a lot of novice drivers (especially kids) out there that would greatly benefit from 50% power. Whoa, I am starting to get off track.

Just my .05 cents
+1 ^^^^ Many valid points here. It sounds good to have a spec class in theory but to pull it off and make it even for everyone without doing tech before a club race would be a big undertaking. I think I need to slow both of my kids down as well. Cant wait to get out to the farm.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My timing doesn't kick in till 1/2 way down the straight and it's all gearing in the infield. Allows me to not need a long run up as previously stated. I personally like non boosted classes but not out here on these big tracks. On the tight indoor ones it's fine but if I had to run a 17.5 non boost at fear farm I'd get bored with the straight away real fast. On the other hand I'm not a big fan of giant power in a 2wheel so prolite allows me to run a moderate motor as fast as I can handle it.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Please, if any of you that are running a boosted 13.5 2whl drive buggy currently and you are at fear farm this Thursday, come up to Brodie, Clement, Friery, Bend, Wheeler, or myself and ask to run one of our cars. The boosted 13.5 motors are as fast, if not faster than a mod, and the 13.5 power band is far from predictable making the entire package overall harder to drive.

Dave

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.