Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
I also think if you want the track to last longer make it easy.

An 1/8 scale casing jumps and running full throttle for half the track will destroy a track in no time.

Make it easy so everyone can keep their line and easily clear the jumps.

Build it and they will come...
its no fun if its not easy

any1 know the condition of the track
Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hemi4me View Post
PM on the way.

I have a Losi Xcelorin and a 10.5 $145.00

Also long shot... Anyone want to trade a 2 wheel buggy (and cash) for a 4 wheel buggy with a SMC saddle?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...es-10-5-a.html
hemi, you got pm'd
Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

I don't think 1/8 scales hurt the track at SRS. Busdriver and I both walked the track after the first time the State series was held there a couple of years ago.... The track was smoother after the night was over and there was a ton of rubber laid down.... Weather has the biggest effect on that track out of ANYTHING else.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I don't think 1/8 scales hurt the track at SRS. Busdriver and I both walked the track after the first time the State series was held there a couple of years ago.... The track was smoother after the night was over and there was a ton of rubber laid down.... Weather has the biggest effect on that track out of ANYTHING else.
+1

i know i don't race every week, and i'm no engineer, but 1/8 scale, while it weighs more, has a muck larger contact patch. truggy, even more. most people know to inflate their tires on the full size car to 32 psi cold...but 99 percent of people don't understand the compound measurement: POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH. Here's an easy way to figure it out. stand barefoot on a brick... if you weigh 200 lbs (ok, i weigh 205...) and a brick is say 4in by 10 in, that's 40 square inches. so the PSI is 200 divided by 40 = 5 PSI. now stand bearfoot on a rock about the size of a dime... which is about 1/2 sq. in. you're now putting 400 PSI on the bottom of your foot. SRS is normally run wet, and an 8 lb. B4 would carve up the track on those lil tires, but a truggy has such a big contact patch that it weighs about the same per sq. in.

enough science, let's race. should be there this wed
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

8 POUNDS!! Your B4 is a little over weight
Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigNasty View Post
+1

i know i don't race every week, and i'm no engineer, but 1/8 scale, while it weighs more, has a muck larger contact patch. truggy, even more. most people know to inflate their tires on the full size car to 32 psi cold...but 99 percent of people don't understand the compound measurement: POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH. Here's an easy way to figure it out. stand barefoot on a brick... if you weigh 200 lbs (ok, i weigh 205...) and a brick is say 4in by 10 in, that's 40 square inches. so the PSI is 200 divided by 40 = 5 PSI. now stand bearfoot on a rock about the size of a dime... which is about 1/2 sq. in. you're now putting 400 PSI on the bottom of your foot. SRS is normally run wet, and an 8 lb. B4 would carve up the track on those lil tires, but a truggy has such a big contact patch that it weighs about the same per sq. in.

enough science, let's race. should be there this wed
Thanks for the PSI lesson, but I was thinking more about driving styles. I see 8lb to 10lb 1/8 scale buggies lawn dart the face of a jump and take a big chunk of dirt with it. That's the kind of damage I see. Not to mention the large contact patch you pointed out plus the power of the eighth scale spinning it's wheels from turn to turn.

Don't get me wrong I run eighth myself and I am not trying to single out any group in particular. Sean is right too. If the track is wet multiply that by 2.

My thinking is make the track less technical, that's all.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

1st ? Was SRS able to race tonight ?

2nd ? Can anyone see my Testicles ?

FS. JConcepts BJ4WE with New Extra Parts.

Hyper Drive 1/10th Pro 3 Slider Pan Car

FS. (2) Spektrum SR3500 DSM Micro Receivers

FS. (2) Novak Brushless Motors SS5800 & 5.5R.

FS. (3) Soft case Saddle pack Lipo Battery's Reedy, MaxAmps.

No Bail out for Chromie, RC Sale (Misc. stuff).

Last edited by *Chrominator*; 04-12-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

well, true...it doesn't matter how big your tires are when you hit a jump face with your chassis

as for tire spinning powerful 8th buggies....it's never us. it's the electric 8th scale guys. brushless in a 8th scale buggy is so #[email protected]@%^ powerful, it'd be like putting a 7.5cc boat engine in yer buggy. Can't buy a .21 ANYWHERE with the kind of power the brushless stuff puts down. ok...maybe we spin 'em some....

but most of all +100 on less technical! because i suck as a driver, and i hate lawn darting the jumps myself...i'd rather look like i know how to drive in front of my friends, enjoy some faster lap times, etc.

but what the heck do i know?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its not the car that spins the tires guys you have to remember this. If the car did what it wanted to it would just sit on our tables its the driver who makes it land short on the jumps and spin the tires. yes less technical tracks are easier to drive on and look good, but and a big BUT how is that going to make you a better driver if you don't learn to make yourself drive harder and on things that are a little more technical. Just my $ .02
Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chevron89 View Post
Its not the car that spins the tires guys you have to remember this. If the car did what it wanted to it would just sit on our tables its the driver who makes it land short on the jumps and spin the tires. yes less technical tracks are easier to drive on and look good, but and a big BUT how is that going to make you a better driver if you don't learn to make yourself drive harder and on things that are a little more technical. Just my $ .02
I agree with Mr. Dave
A harder track will make you better.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

my bad.... i'm just a big dummy i guess.... isn't that like saying oval isn't gonna make you better because there isn't enough turns and jumps? drag racing's even worse.. that'll only make you fast in a straight line.

i wasn't saying make a fisher price track, but having a couple less turns, decent lane width and jumps that are spaced so that everybody isn't tearing the face off the back of the triple cuz there's really only room for a double....

I never meant to imply that any of us want a no-brainer track just to impress our friends. We all love a good challenge. But if you have to have Maifield skills just to turn a good lap, the folks who don't have those skills, newbies and veteran alike, won't wanna run there cuz it won't be fun. it also makes it harder to attract new people to the racing side of the hobby

My only night that i can race is wed, unless i wanna take a big hit to my pocket and take a saturday off.... i make about 300 dollars on saturday night. I can pick up a monday night for my saturday, which will make me about 75 bucks. Thus, it costs me about 225 to race on sat night, whether i'm at the pit, SRS, Tucson.... before i even pay race fees or break something. Not reallly an option for club racing... so wed is me. I'll come on down to SRS as long as you'll have me, no matter how technical (or not) the layout is. I love SRS and have met a lot of great people there.

GOD WOULD I LOVE ME SOME SUNDAY RACING SOMEWHERE NEAR PHOENIX.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigNasty View Post
i wasn't saying make a fisher price track, but having a couple less turns, decent lane width and jumps that are spaced so that everybody isn't tearing the face off the back of the triple cuz there's really only room for a double....
If they have a triple that is easy to clear every time then what is the point in having the middle jump?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default track

Just make a 1/8 scale friendly track like the last Cactus track. That track was there for ever, easy to take care of, you could race any thing on it, run it forward or backwards, and it didn't get torn up.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkCrDH8fZJM

Last edited by Marcus Falconie; 04-12-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's because the last Cactus track was built by Joey, the best track builder around.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Everyone teaches setup these days and nobody teaches driving... Maybe instead of thinking your setup is bad, just ask tips on how to clear jumps and racing lines.... A setup is only as good as how you drive it... New racers these days ask the wrong questions... And veterans don't give the right answers. If you see someone casing a jump or lawn dart, have you ever thought of helping them drive it better? Most of the time it's timing and driver error, not setup.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.