Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I dont race short bus. You have hobbytown gilbert for packing lot racing. Why would you drive all the way to SRS for it? I live in gilbert and there is no way I would drive 45-60 minutes to parking lot race, when I have that 5 miles away.
Back in the late 70s through the late 80s I used to drive 2 hours when we raced in Tempe and I lived in Tucson, if one won't drive a bit for quality racing maybe bowling would be a better option. How far you have to go is far less important than the quality of racing once you get there.

Gilbert's track is small and a bit bumpy in sections, so in my opinion most any larger and faster track would be an improvement. The other drawback to Gilbert is the huge variety of classes running ovals...... and there are too many very young children.

BTW, WTH is 'short bus'?

If SRS builds a quality on-road course they will likely put Gilbert racing out of business, sooner or later someone is going to build a quality on-road track, and that person will reap the rewards.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

why the hostility? all i know is that SRS had a plan to use the garden center of the old K-mart they are now using for an on-road track. i just asked for a status report. I know there are quite a few on-road racers in the area that are interested.

Otto, Gilbert is a bit rough for 1/12 scale but we have raced there in the past. But many of us do not mind the trip to SoCal for the weekend to race at TQ which is a great facility. Check out the TQ Chino CA thread if your interest and checkout their website as well. Many of us would rather race locally but when that is not viable this other option is not bad.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I guess I would prefer a surface made for onroad. not a parking lot. How big is the garden center? I have seen some nice onroad outdoor surfaces on LiveRc. High speed smooth surfaces. I do agree something like that would make me want to run on it.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nissan man
why the hostility?
No hostility intended, please note my smiley faces.

I was curious about the advantages of carpet, I've never raced on it. As for the off-road topic I was just giving my opinion about the majority of tracks that I've seen. I'd love to get a nice Short Course truck (once I can swing buying and racing a 3rd car), I just don't want to see 6 feet of air under it.....unless I'm holding it.

My problem is I don't know who the top 3 or 4 makers are, because I would want something up-to-date so I wouldn't have to replace it with a newly designed one in a year or 2. Not a big deal until I can spend the cash, so until then I'll just read about them....
Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Otto, Gilbert is a bit rough for 1/12 scale but we have raced there in the past. But many of us do not mind the trip to SoCal for the weekend to race at TQ which is a great facility. Check out the TQ Chino CA thread if your interest and checkout their website as well. Many of us would rather race locally but when that is not viable this other option is not bad.
I've been to TQ's website and watched some youtube racing vids at the TQ facility, looks nice. I've also check in on the TQ road-trip thread to see who's going, I know Chris Moore and Paul Bantas from the old 12th scale days in the 80s at the original SRS, when Larry Stewart owned it. THAT was the best asphalt racing surface in the western U.S. if not the whole country....it was awesome compared to parking lot racing.....although I've seen some NICE parking lots.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Otto, carpet is different than asphalt, not always better (as in the case of the carpet track CH had) nor worse. Most of the carpet tracks are smallish due to the overhead costs associated with being indoors and of as you can imagine more popular back east due to the unfavorable weather conditions that are present for 6 +/- months of the year. A good carpet track has tons of traction which is the main appeal to most racers, this can be closely duplicated on a dedicated asphalt track like SRS was back in the 80's but it's not as easy on a parking lot surface. Having said that Todd does an amazing job with what he has to work with and even if SRS does decide to try on-road again I very much doubt that HT would become a ghost town anytime soon.

Wildcat, earlier this year some rumors surfaced that Adam might utilize the old garden center area of the new location and install an on-road track later in the year. I myself have not spoken to Adam and do not know if there are or were any plans to try on-road or not at the new facility. It's my understanding that the garden area is concrete and from what I have read in the past concrete is not a very desirable surface for RC racing so I'm not sure just how doable on-road would be in that section of the facility anyway. At this point I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Garden center becoming an on road track is not a rumor, the plans will be started after the holidays. As far as surface it's tbt. Either tarmac or carpet, depending on the budget at the time.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Smile

Otto, if you know Paul Banta you might have a faint memory of his kids. I'm David Banta, Paul's oldest son and Kartracer is my brother James. .
Old 10-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lowjacey
Garden center becoming an on road track is not a rumor, the plans will be started after the holidays. As far as surface it's tbt. Either tarmac or carpet, depending on the budget at the time.
Hi Joe, Let us know what you need to make this happen. My father Paul Banta (who apparently knows Adam) is willing to help out where he can. He has a drivers stand and boards stored in is garage (look up DWI Raceway) and i know a bunch of us racers would chip in for carpet if we had a place to set it up and know it was well taken care of. I think there might be enough road racers in the area that would pitch in to get carpet if we had a place to race.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chris moore
Todd does an amazing job with what he has to work with and even if SRS does decide to try on-road again I very much doubt that HT would become a ghost town anytime soon.
Can't argue with Todd doing a great job with his situation, he puts a ton of effort and time into running the HT races. No doubt he'll always have a strong core group of oval racers that will continue to race every week. It's my assumption that many of the serious road-racers would split time between HTG and SRS depending on how much track time and how much waiting between heats there would be at either track.

The great thing is that with a dedicated on-road track races at HTG and SRS could be scheduled so they did not conflict, so racers wanting to do both could.

One major benefit of a dedicated on-road track is the waiting would be minimal between heats, not having to sit through the many oval races and the off-road heats would greatly speed things up, and increase track time for all.

On 1 Saturday night we finished at 2AM, mostly due to the many classes that were being run. Not a big fan of doing all-nighters at the track, so a dedicated on-road track that would be open during the week for adjusting set-ups, practice and scheduled races would be warmly welcomed.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Otto, if you know Paul Banta you might have a faint memory of his kids. I'm David Banta, Paul's oldest son and Kartracer is my brother James. .
Yes, but it is faint...., that was a long time ago....and my memory isn't what is used to be.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Job opening at SRS

Hi guys, just wondering if you are still hiring??
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
Can't argue with Todd doing a great job with his situation, he puts a ton of effort and time into running the HT races. No doubt he'll always have a strong core group of oval racers that will continue to race every week. It's my assumption that many of the serious road-racers would split time between HTG and SRS depending on how much track time and how much waiting between heats there would be at either track.

The great thing is that with a dedicated on-road track races at HTG and SRS could be scheduled so they did not conflict, so racers wanting to do both could.

One major benefit of a dedicated on-road track is the waiting would be minimal between heats, not having to sit through the many oval races and the off-road heats would greatly speed things up, and increase track time for all.

On 1 Saturday night we finished at 2AM, mostly due to the many classes that were being run. Not a big fan of doing all-nighters at the track, so a dedicated on-road track that would be open during the week for adjusting set-ups, practice and scheduled races would be warmly welcomed.
Otto, you hit the nail on the head. Not that we are condemning HT's effort to accommodate everyone but the wait times per drive time is unreasonable. this is the reason why many of the 1/12 scale az drivers will not show up and would rather drive to socal every month or so to race. however at some point you have to say enough is enough. maybe 1/12 scale does not fit HT. We don't know. HTG has been doing their thing for over 20 years, obviously it is working. We are not going to demand change but we are just going to find another place that will work better for us. Entry fee is not an issue for us generally so if a place is willing to accommodate for a higher price with in reason we will be there.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
I've been to TQ's website and watched some youtube racing vids at the TQ facility, looks nice. I've also check in on the TQ road-trip thread to see who's going, I know Chris Moore and Paul Bantas from the old 12th scale days in the 80s at the original SRS, when Larry Stewart owned it. THAT was the best asphalt racing surface in the western U.S. if not the whole country....it was awesome compared to parking lot racing.....although I've seen some NICE parking lots.
Larrys track was awesome but best in the west.... Maybe more like one of the best in the west. Because there is was track in Pomona Ca. called the Ranch Pit Shop owned by the Losi's. Im sure you remember it.

I have always preferred asphalt to run 12 scale on. I have no idea how much it would cost to repave a section of SRS compared to buying carpet. Just my 2cents.
If that ever happened even if it was carpet my car would be built in a day! Im willing to help if possible not just talking

Last edited by Bubonic-X; 10-22-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Srs is still hiring, they need to fill my position still, last Friday was my last day there!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.