Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm sure the mini review will be fine dom
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

whats the hot tire set up?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snaketaco View Post
whats the hot tire set up?
I'm running clay compound ions with aka foams. I shaved down the edges of the tire and I'm getting ok traction. Last night I was asking around and talking with Tommy it seems the gold dirt webs are working the best. From what Tommy said slicks are a little faster but make the car harder to drive (that's from him, I haven't tried slicks) that being said my ions are ok but when they wear out I'll be trying dirt webs
Old 07-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

gold dirt webs. awesome thank you
Old 07-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I picked up some aka typo clay tires for srs. Do I need to do any prep work to make them hook up?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I picked up some aka typo clay tires for srs. Do I need to do any prep work to make them hook up?
Shouldn't have to do much from my exp. with them. Though I haven't tried them at a track with a no sauce rule in effect.

Usually a couple runs and they come right in.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Prophet

ok, cool. They seem really, lol. I am used to SS tires. I heard people ran clays in packing lots and stuff.

so wash them with simple green and done?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

ok, cool. They seem really, lol. I am used to SS tires. I heard people ran clays in packing lots and stuff.

so wash them with simple green and done?

Yeah the clays are a bit harder feeling for sure. Yup seen guys run in new tires out in the parking lot too. Mostly guys that run new Gold Barcodes and new foams. That tire does seem to take a little effort to get them where they need to be.

Simple green and done should be close. You could always go with the motor spray and lighter trick, though maybe kinds shouldn't see that stuff. Does work though.

If in doubt, I'd ask the guys that run the PL Ions what they do, that tire is pretty close to the Typo in tread style/height, so they might give better info for the new srs track.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Clement View Post
Right now there are no "official" rules for the class that I know of. The trucks are just getting to hobby shops. So I'd say bring it out and see what happens.

Andy let's talk more about it next time we're both at the track. Which for me will be W3 Saturday and SRS Sunday this weekend.
Sounds good Trevor I am not sure if I will make it out either of those nights but we will figure it out.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

The only prep you need is to break them in. Traction at SRS is so high that every compound works without needing to be softened. With good clay like SRS has, the tires don't work well until the square edges of the knobs have been rounded off.

If you don't have a tire sander, the best way to break in tires is to run your car on smooth concrete (no asphalt, abrasive surfaces take chunks out) in circle eight's. This way the tire gets broken in evenly. Once you see the edges are fully 45'd, throw down and run. It will be a night and day difference from new tires.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trevor, I tried the clay tires and they sucks badly. Then, on the way home it occurred to me that SS tires up front and clays in the rear might be a terrible idea. I ended up racing with SS tires front and rear. My stock buggy felt great. My mod car is MM and its very difficult for me to jump. It seems very sensitive in the air.

Also, SRS. Please get some fan for the drivers stand. Like those big floor fans at Home depot, lol. It was fing hot up there. Felt like a swamp. I also need more fans for my pit area. Need to pick up a turbo fan for racing.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Prophet

I thought the resort after the first round was a great idea. I suffered greatly from it, but overall a good idea. I got stuck with a large group of people that were crashing on the step on step off, lol. So I lost a lot of time trying to avoid them and the marshals. Also, the extra watering during the rounds really helped keep the traction more consistent for the round. The track was losing traction for the later rounds a few weeks ago. I am still trying to get my tires sorted out for SRS.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Tech Adept

I thought the resort after the first round was a great idea. I suffered greatly from it, but overall a good idea. I got stuck with a large group of people that were crashing on the step on step off, lol. So I lost a lot of time trying to avoid them and the marshals. Also, the extra watering during the rounds really helped keep the traction more consistent for the round. The track was losing traction for the later rounds a few weeks ago. I am still trying to get my tires sorted out for SRS.
I liked the resort as well.

To take it a step further RC Scoring Pro has a way to assign driver rankings to allow "heat stacking" based on ability. It would take a lot of work but it would be awesome to see this feature used and rankings based on some sort of formula based on how often a racer raced at SRS plus their average qualifying position. So the more you race, and better you do, the better chance you have of being in the "A" qualifier. It's not a reasonable request but would be cool nonetheless. And even though a guy like me that can only race 1 day a week would be at a disadvantage, I still think it's the fairest way to stack heats for club racing.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Clement View Post
I liked the resort as well.

To take it a step further RC Scoring Pro has a way to assign driver rankings to allow "heat stacking" based on ability. It would take a lot of work but it would be awesome to see this feature used and rankings based on some sort of formula based on how often a racer raced at SRS plus their average qualifying position. So the more you race, and better you do, the better chance you have of being in the "A" qualifier. It's not a reasonable request but would be cool nonetheless. And even though a guy like me that can only race 1 day a week would be at a disadvantage, I still think it's the fairest way to stack heats for club racing.
I am not opposed to that at all cuz I suck but love to race and want to stay out of the way of faster guys. But I think Im of the few that knows or is aware of it when they race.
But as a side note to save time doesnt the race director have the ability to do that just by knowing the drivers? If he doesnt know you you go in the lower skills qualifiers till you make the A consistently?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Prophet

W3 does that to some extent. They group many of the faster A main guys together, but every once in a while i see a slower guy with them. When I fist came to the track, I was put in with the "d main" guys. Now, I just get put anywhere from the d to b main group. Never the Amain group, but I dont really care. I prefer to be with guys of my equal skill. I was fine with the resort, IMO w3 should do it also. If they can gather statistic ahead of time and presort, that is fine too. They wont hurt my ego. Just gives me more incentive to work harder.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.