Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 AM
  #7441  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: El Mirage, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,474
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by THE DAD View Post
Yea, but that is still not as long as you...
Got here in 92 been racing there since it was at hayden and mckellips got you by 3 years LOL!
Not sure about Randy we raced in Cali for a little bit. So he might have me beat

Jake Damn Im old
Bubonic-X is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
  #7442  
Tech Master
iTrader: (65)
 
DaveG28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,610
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Thanks! I assume the shop will have various tires in? I am travelling with wheels and inserts but no real suitable tire (just some Vektors/Impacts/Rebars).

I was assuming supersoft/M4 style compound was the way to go?
DaveG28 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
  #7443  
TLRacing
iTrader: (25)
 
Frank Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,792
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Thanks! I assume the shop will have various tires in? I am travelling with wheels and inserts but no real suitable tire (just some Vektors/Impacts/Rebars).

I was assuming supersoft/M4 style compound was the way to go?
No, you'll want the MX compound for PL, Orange for JC, Red for Losi, Med? for AKA,..... nothing soft for sure.
Frank Root is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
  #7444  
Suspended
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chandler,AZ
Posts: 291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Thanks! I assume the shop will have various tires in? I am travelling with wheels and inserts but no real suitable tire (just some Vektors/Impacts/Rebars).

I was assuming supersoft/M4 style compound was the way to go?
They will most likely have a lot of tires but they mark the tire glue up about 30% and the tires about 20% so you get to pay way more at the hobby shop.
Advantage R/C is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM
  #7445  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 244
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
Got here in 92 been racing there since it was at hayden and mckellips got you by 3 years LOL!
Not sure about Randy we raced in Cali for a little bit. So he might have me beat

Jake Damn Im old
Yup, I remember the days up on Hayden... Man that takes me back, Thsnka now I feel really old.
Malign R/C is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
  #7446  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 244
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I know this isnt the Cactus Classic thread and I really cant find one but why is that sponsored drivers are allowed to race in the 17.5 stock class at the CC?
Malign R/C is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM
  #7447  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (168)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,241
Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Malign R/C View Post
I know this isnt the Cactus Classic thread and I really cant find one but why is that sponsored drivers are allowed to race in the 17.5 stock class at the CC?
There is no rule saying they can't....
Matt Trimmings is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
  #7448  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 244
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
There is no rule saying they can't....
Pretty lame...
Malign R/C is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
  #7449  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (168)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,241
Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Malign R/C View Post
Pretty lame...
How is that lame...17.5 isnt labeled as beginner or rookie. It's a Stock Buggy class. I believe that in years past you couldnt enter 17.5 and mod but you could enter 17.5 and 13.5 or 13.5 and mod. 17.5 Stock buggy is an extremely fun class, it is just as exciting watching a group of talented drivers running 17.5 neck and neck as it is in mod. This is the Cactus Classic...not everyone gets a trophy and by your comment it seems like you thought you had a good chance of getting one by running 17.5 and now you dont.
Matt Trimmings is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
  #7450  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,345
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Malign R/C View Post
I know this isnt the Cactus Classic thread and I really cant find one but why is that sponsored drivers are allowed to race in the 17.5 stock class at the CC?
It does seem a little odd. It's like having a MLB player in a local community game.
mulepic is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
  #7451  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
SpeedyDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,410
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Yup. Its a major international race. Not everyone will win. I am sponsored and I fully anticipate being down the order in the 17.5 class. Don't assume sponsored means you can't beat them. I'm sponsored because I design and build stuff, not because I can drive.

Even ROAR doesn't limit the 17.5 class to non-sponsored drivers now.
SpeedyDad is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
  #7452  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (168)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,241
Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
It does seem a little odd. It's like having a MLB player in a local community game.
Not quite...there aren't any 100% team / travel guys in the 17.5 stock buggy class. Just because they get some support doesnt mean they cant race stock buggy.
Matt Trimmings is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
  #7453  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
azdakota97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 344
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Not quite...there aren't any 100% team / travel guys in the 17.5 stock buggy class. Just because they get some support doesnt mean they cant race stock buggy.
THIS. There are many different levels of sponsorship. And Matt is 100% right, you won't see the big dogs running stock, because i am sure it would put them to sleep.
azdakota97 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM
  #7454  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 244
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
How is that lame...17.5 isnt labeled as beginner or rookie. It's a Stock Buggy class. I believe that in years past you couldnt enter 17.5 and mod but you could enter 17.5 and 13.5 or 13.5 and mod. 17.5 Stock buggy is an extremely fun class, it is just as exciting watching a group of talented drivers running 17.5 neck and neck as it is in mod. This is the Cactus Classic...not everyone gets a trophy and by your comment it seems like you thought you had a good chance of getting one by running 17.5 and now you dont.
Yeah Matt I get it... I'm an adult and realize its cactus and this is not my first cactus. In fact I raced my first cactus was in 1989. It's weak for a really fast driver to race 17.5 plain and simple.
Malign R/C is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
  #7455  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (168)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,241
Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Malign R/C View Post
Yeah Matt I get it... I'm an adult and realize its cactus and this is not my first cactus. In fact I raced my first cactus was in 1989. It's weak for a pro driver to race 17.5 plain and simple.
Why dont you throw out a name....because looking at the list of 17.5 stock buggy entrants i see nobody that is a 'pro' driver. Pro means you get paid to do this, you travel around on someone else's dime to play with toy cars. I guarantee you that nobody will walk away with 17.5 buggy...it is going to be one of the best races of the weekend.

I see you changed from pro to really fast...I guarantee that this really fast guy will have some more really fast company.
Matt Trimmings is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.