Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Sportsman should be eliminated from racing period. Way to many sand baggers in today's world.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
And how are the 4 Sportsman Class drivers "running the class they would like to
I never said they would get to. Just that they would get the chance to.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricky G
I never said they would get to. Just that they would get the chance to.
Hey Ricky I NEVER Knew that YOU were a Politician
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So what is the verdict is 13.5 or 17.5 stock, assuming there is enough for a full class?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tradin Paint
So what is the verdict is 13.5 or 17.5 stock, assuming there is enough for a full class?
Sounds to me like it's gonna depend on what we show up with. Majority rules. If we all have 17.5 and only a few with 13.5, then they will be put in mod. Unless I am mistaken. That's what has been the norm at srs.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I JB welded my 17.5 in and running it with whichever class has the most. Ya'll better put some boost in ye turdteen.5's.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longlivethe3
I JB welded my 17.5 in and running it with whichever class has the most. Ya'll better put some boost in ye turdteen.5's.
17.5's are on my Christmas list!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default THE 10 MINUTE B MAIN

I've been floating this idea around the track for a little while...

Tonight I was taken out twice in the first lap of the main. After that first 50 second lap it took me the rest of the race to work my way back up to the pack.
had this been a 5 min b main, I might as well pull it off, cuz there isnt enough time to make that up. I would have left feeling disappointed. (This has happened to me once or twice before). Then i find myself looking for other classes to run, were Im guaranteed to make the A, and for me that means less than 10 entries. Less entries is less fun, but its better than paying $15 for a race I might not qualify for.

I think thats the reason everyone keeps asking for there own class, and the smaller turn outs for each. Club racing just does'nt seem as fun any more, as there is rarely a full class of anything, much less a B main. more and more people are just running the big events (seems to be one every few weeks).

As far as club racing goes I would like to see it go back to 3 general classes, short course, buggy and novice. run stacked qualifiers and give everyone an equal main with 1 bump from the B. that way new guys can move up without wondering what to run. Sportsman or mod? It all depends on who shows up. All I want is a 10 minute main starting between 2 racers that I qualified within a few seconds of. I know Im not going to win, but finishing 2 laps behind 3rd and 2 laps ahead of 5th is also not a race. then to find out the leader of sportsman ran the same times as me? Bummer, I missed my race.

I say let it be one big showdown at the end, rather than these 4 man mains we have been seeing.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ALIASDAVE
I've been floating this idea around the track for a little while...

Tonight I was taken out twice in the first lap of the main. After that first 50 second lap it took me the rest of the race to work my way back up to the pack.
had this been a 5 min b main, I might as well pull it off, cuz there isnt enough time to make that up. I would have left feeling disappointed. (This has happened to me once or twice before). Then i find myself looking for other classes to run, were Im guaranteed to make the A, and for me that means less than 10 entries. Less entries is less fun, but its better than paying $15 for a race I might not qualify for.

I think thats the reason everyone keeps asking for there own class, and the smaller turn outs for each. Club racing just does'nt seem as fun any more, as there is rarely a full class of anything, much less a B main. more and more people are just running the big events (seems to be one every few weeks).

As far as club racing goes I would like to see it go back to 3 general classes, short course, buggy and novice. run stacked qualifiers and give everyone an equal main with 1 bump from the B. that way new guys can move up without wondering what to run. Sportsman or mod? It all depends on who shows up. All I want is a 10 minute main starting between 2 racers that I qualified within a few seconds of. I know Im not going to win, but finishing 2 laps behind 3rd and 2 laps ahead of 5th is also not a race. then to find out the leader of sportsman ran the same times as me? Bummer, I missed my race.

I say let it be one big showdown at the end, rather than these 4 man mains we have been seeing.
I've spent a lot of time discussing this very concept over the past few years. Getting rid of all expert/sportsman classes, lumping everyone together, and making every main the same length. If the A main is 10, then all lower mains are 10. This way everyone gets a 10 minute main and the guys that bump actually score 20 minutes or more. And ultimately everyone gets a main with equal skilled racers. No sandbagging possible.

Someone just needs to be willing to take a chance and implement it to see how it works out.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Not sure what sparked the motor/class warfare debate, but it's being dicussed on the forums of several tracks. After taking some time off i wanted to start racing again, but at this point i have no idea what motor to buy?

Is it going to be a weekly "wait and see who shows up" thing or are the classes going to be defined once and for all?

Personally having a 17.5 class and putting the rest in mod might be a good idea. Many times in the past when I raced 13.5 stock, most of the guys were kicking up the timing and adding boost anyway. Put em in the mod class.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm not trying to stir the debate but I prefer a 17.5T w/ a little boost for my porky dex210. But what is confusing is that I've seen 17.5T kv span a broad range of 1700kv-3700kv. I don't think there is such a range w/ 13.5t which might make it more ideal as a spec motor. Even so, I still run my 17.5T tekin w/ the 13.5's. For me it's more about good racing vs. keeping up w/ what the next guy has.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Stock classes are no boost and you can't really compare kv's between different manufacturers as they each test differently. From what I have read a motor with a lower kv should have more torque, higher kv should have more rpm....this should help you gear it to where it needs to be.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 12-06-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Stock classes are no boost and you can't really compare kv's between different manufacturers as they each test differently. From what I have read a mount with a lower kv should have more torque, higher kv should have more rpm....this should help you gear it to where it needs to be.

More to the point; you can't level the playing field by specifying a specific motor. KV ratings are all over the map and as you said can't be trusted.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mulepic
More to the point; you can't level the playing field by specifying a specific motor. KV ratings are all over the map and as you said can't be trusted.
Never said that they cant be trusted....its just a baseline. You wont be able to gear a viper the same as a reedy or a trinity 17.5. The 17.5 is a perfect motor for the stock class, it brings back the tuning aspect of stock racing. You need to know how to gear and time (not boost) your motor to get the best performance out of it.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Never said that they cant be trusted....its just a baseline. You wont be able to gear a viper the same as a reedy or a trinity 17.5. The 17.5 is a perfect motor for the stock class, it brings back the tuning aspect of stock racing. You need to know how to gear and time (not boost) your motor to get the best performance out of it.
How is a 17.5 any different than a 13.5 w/ a similar kv rating?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.