Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Last weekend saw the 1st round for the Battle in the Desert series race happen at Competition Hobbies. With just over 95 entries for the opening round the racing was going to be awesome. Added at the last minute was the Sportsman Shortcourse division. So with classes starting with Novice to Sportsman to Expert, there were certainly enough offerings to get your race going. Qualifying opened straight up at 12:00 with the Novice division—Leading off the charge was Ian Moller with his Sc10Ft. In the Sportmans Shortcourse division Jake Yubeta was the man everyone was hunting down. In Sportsman stk buggy Chris Wamsley showed he had the lines down consistently. Moving into the Expert division Humpty Helms eeeked out Richard Lake by 4/100ths of a second for the Tq in buggy. In Exp Shortcourse it was Brandon Fox leading the way. Stadium Truck had Jan Moller taking the honours of Tq. In the 2wd Modified division Brian Kinwald showed why he is consistently the man to beat. Shortcourse 4wd was again Bradon Fox taking the Tq. 4wd modified saw the Tamiya Factory driver Mac Mitchell take the Tq honor. With 16 heats of qualifying per round in the books it was main time….
In the Novice class Ian Moller and Travis Mattix had the battle of the day swapping positions at least 8-10 times throughout the race. In the end Ian prevailed and took home the win in the Novice class.
Top 5---Ian Moller 1st, Travis Mattix 2nd, Javier Olmo 3rd, Andy Pitstick 4th and Tamra Beaver 5th
In the Stadium truck class we started the day with 5 entries. At the start of the race Jan Moller took an early lead, but had some issues with the step on/step off. This allowed Joe Capps to take the lead and never look back.
Joe Capps 1st, Bert Jones 2nd, Jan Moller 3rd, Darrell Forrest 4th and Brian Davis 5th.
Sportman Stk Buggy Chris Wamsley took off to a decent lead and stretched it over the full 10 minutes, putting a lap on older brother Brandon in second. Tight battle between Nathan Chase and Brandon Wamsley at the ½ way mark then trouble hit Nathan and he had to retire back the 4th spot. Sean Geerdes bumped from the B final to finish in the 5th spot.
Chris Wamsley 1st, Brandon Wamsley 2nd, Jake Yubeta 3rd, Nathan Chase 4th, Sean Geerdes 5th.
Sportsman Stk Shortcourse, Tq Jake Yubeta shot out at the start and was gone. Taylor Spencer and Ashe Deering had a great battle in the pack for 2nd and 3rd.
Jake Yubeta 1st, Taylor Spencer 2nd, Ashe Deering 3rd, Sean Geerdes 4th, Nick Markolis 5th.
Exp Stk Buggy Tq Humpty Helms took off like a rocket with the field in tow. Half way thru the race Helms still in the lead, Lake in 2nd, Stocum in 3rd. As the time wound down, Stocum gets by Lake and finishes less than a second back with Lake another 4 back.
Helms 1st, Stocum 2nd, Lake 3rd, Russell 4th, Stanger 5th.
2wd Modified, Brian Kinwald leads out from Tq, Charles Hicks and Sean Bray get together over the step on/step off. Richard Lake moves into second with Tanner Denny, Hicks and Bray following. All drivers dipping into the low 20 second range even some doing 19’s. Awesome driving from everyone.
Kinwald 1st, Lake 2nd, Hicks 3rd, Bray 4th, Denney 5th.
Exp Stk Shortcourse Tq Brandon Fox jumped off the line to take the lead early on in the race. Humpty and Pedersoli battled for position, allowing Mike Beaver to get away in 2nd. ½ way into the race Helms starts closing the gap on Beaver. At the 8 minute mark Helms makes his way past Beaver for the 2nd spot.
Fox 1st, Helms 2nd, Beaver 3rd, Pedersoli 4th, Nick Beaver 5th.
Shortcourse 4wd Tq Brandon Fox leads out early on, Justin Miller follows in 2nd. Stanger, Beaver and Johnson locked into battle for the 3rd spot. Final ended with Fox cruising to a 7 second lead over Miller.
Fox 1st, Miller 2nd, Stanger 3rd, Beaver 4th, Johnson 5th
4wd Open, Tq Mac Mitchell leads out over Stanger, gets sideways coming onto the straight and Stanger is able to move inside. Both battle for about 3 laps, then Stanger starts clicking off the laps finishing a lap up on the field. Mitchell and Johnson battle it out for 2nd with Mitchell finishing 5 seconds up on Johnson.
Stanger 1st, Mitchell 2nd, Johnson 3rd, Wells 4th, Ficke 5th.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mulepic
I wouldn't mind starting onroad racing but I'd like to keep it simple. 12th scale sounds a bit easier to work on etc. What 12th scale do you recommend to start out with? I've also been considering the tamiya mini, again it sounds like a pretty level field and an easy car to work with. Any thoughts are appreciated.
12th scale is a fun class but..... its very hard to set up. The associated 12r5.1 is a great car and easy to drive. Xray has a better car and bang for your buck. Go to amainhobbies.com to order the xray one. I think is called the x12. Touring car is popular yet exspencive to get into a good car. Xray again has a t3r that is under 250. Of course the top cars are the tc6.1 and the t.o.p car as well with the xray t3. For under 500 you can build a good 12th scale car. And under 700 you can build a tc6.1. You gotta remember you will need a body and tires when you buy the kit. Its not like an offroad kit . But hope to see more people this Friday at 730p.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Also I am going to start a survey for the onroad program. What do you think we should to increase the outcomes each Friday nights to race? Post here or send me a pm. I will request and do something about it. For example: better products? More parts? Lower prices for classes? Point series? Etc. The better the input the more likely we could keep the track an onroad track. Help me help you to make sure we enjoy our time at the track for onroad and not get it changed to a dirt oval
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by psiqfiend
Also I am going to start a survey for the onroad program. What do you think we should to increase the outcomes each Friday nights to race? Post here or send me a pm. I will request and do something about it. For example: better products? More parts? Lower prices for classes? Point series? Etc. The better the input the more likely we could keep the track an onroad track. Help me help you to make sure we enjoy our time at the track for onroad and not get it changed to a dirt oval
For me the things that make racing attractive are:
1. cost - it doesn't have to be the cheapest but being able to be competitive at a reasonable cost
2. maintenance - I don't want to have to tear down the car after each race to replace worn parts. I guess this goes along w/ durability of the car
3. The drivers - laid back competitors are more fun to be on the driver's stand with. SC is fun to drive b/c of the people.

From what I can tell in the on road world, it's the mini cooper class that seems to have these qualities. But since I don't have any on road cars, a dirt oval could be appealing as well.

For me, Friday night works out just fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I would like to see some cheap on road classes. the problem is spec class racing can be more expensive than open. having to buy a new motor or chassis, making sure you have the highest discharge battery to be as fast....
I would like to see an open tc class with one or two rules to keep things close.
like maybe spec tires? or a 15 min main?(big mod motors can't last that long)
that way everyone will have an equal shot at winning if your driving a $100 redcat or a $500 tc6.1
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ALIASDAVE
I would like to see some cheap on road classes. the problem is spec class racing can be more expensive than open. having to buy a new motor or chassis, making sure you have the highest discharge battery to be as fast....
I would like to see an open tc class with one or two rules to keep things close.
that way everyone will have an equal shot at winning if your driving a $100 redcat or a $500 tc6.1
I can see why its exspensive. Yes spec racing can be. But the 17.5 touring class isnt . We can bring whatever gilbert runs to our track as well. The cost to get into onroad like I said in a previous post is expensive. But cheaper in the long run. Compare. Onroad to offroad. Offroad you spend more on tires in 2 nights of racing dry track. In wet not so much. But onroad you can race the same set up to 10 nights as of what I did with paragon additive. 9(rubber tires) foam tires are a bit different. Its a lot of fun and the people are great to race with. Less breakage. Better classes. And guess what its cleaner
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ALIASDAVE
If your looking for a tc that is a great way to be in onroad that can keep up and or possiblely beat out the tc6.1 or a t.o.p car. Go to amainhobbies and look at the xray t3r and or the schumacher mi1.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricky G
For 13.5 69/29-31 is a good starting point for gearing as for shocks 2's with 30wt and 2.9 front with 2.0 rears springs. Hope that helps

Racing starts at 6pm on Sat. turnouts have been 30-50 even with the heat!
Cool, when is the track open for race practice and signups end when? Just trying to plan a good time to ditch the wife and kids, lol.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

SRS Race/Practice Schedule:

Monday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm
Tuesday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm
Wednesday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm Offroad Races Start at 7pm
Thursday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm
Friday—Open Practice 10pm to 10pm Asphalt Races start at 730pm
Saturday—Open practice 10am to 530pm Offroad Races Start at 6pm
Sunday—Open Practice 11am to 430pm

Signups close with the track on race days.

Race entries are $10.00 with a second entry being $8.00
Novice is always $5.00

Hope this helps
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricky G
SRS Race/Practice Schedule:

Monday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm
Tuesday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm
Wednesday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm Offroad Races Start at 7pm
Thursday—Open Practice 10am to 630pm
Friday—Open Practice 10pm to 10pm Asphalt Races start at 730pm
Saturday—Open practice 10am to 530pm Offroad Races Start at 6pm
Sunday—Open Practice 11am to 430pm

Signups close with the track on race days.

Race entries are $10.00 with a second entry being $8.00
Novice is always $5.00

Hope this helps
yep see you tonight
Old 05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Stopped by the track/shop today for the first time in a couple years. The shop looks great and I love the fact that I can get my own parts and don't have to rely on the guys behind the counter.
The track was open for practice and I brought my 8y.o. daughter and a BL Rustler for her to run. She had a blast.
One suggestion, change the Hobbytown website to change the Sunday opening time from 11AM to 12PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Race tonight at 6pm

I heard through Rumor Control there is racing this evening... anyone else hear this?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah the SRS Thank you to the troops Memorial Day Race is tonight! 6pm start $5 entry fee for all divisions Offroad and asphalt! Military race free!

Sorry this is so last minute but should be fun sounds like we will have a pretty good turnout come out and have some fun!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Racing tonight?

Who called KUPD's voicemail and left Fitz a message about Battle in The Desert? He deleted it without listening to the whole thing, which he does quite often, but it was cool.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Do I sell the 4wd SC?

It doesn't seem like SRS races 4wd SC, but I really like racing at SRS. So is it worth keeping the 4wd SC or do I sell it? If I sell it, I'll buy a 2wd buggy and enter the sportsman class. Currently I race 2wd SC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.