Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZDemille
Have been out of the loop for a while. Are you guys still running DD's in 2wd buggy? Anyone try the AKA buggy tires? How about the AKA foams... front and rear? Thanks.
A lot still run DD's. Some run the new AKA Impact rears and Vektor or Impact fronts (I think are the names). AKA or JC foams in front are nice. I didn't care for either of them in the rear.

I prefer the DD rear with stock foams and either JC ribs or PL scrubs with either the aka or JC foams in front.

Last edited by onefast8; 02-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onefast8
A lot still run DD's. Some run the new AKA Impact rears and Vektor or Impact fronts (I think are the names). AKA or JC foams in front are nice. I didn't care for either of them in the rear.

I prefer the DD rear with stock foams and either JC ribs or PL scrubs with either the aka or JC foams in front.
Good choices, unless ofcourse it is a mudbog like it was tonight in which case paddle tires might be the best choice!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaplestreetRC
Good choices, unless ofcourse it is a mudbog like it was tonight in which case paddle tires might be the best choice!
I heard it was kept wet so the smokers wouldn't catch it on fire when they were marshaling.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there any place for a C-level club racer in the Cactus Classic, or would it be a waste of time/money to enter with 26 sec laptimes?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mrbirchum
Is there any place for a C-level club racer in the Cactus Classic, or would it be a waste of time/money to enter with 26 sec laptimes?
Depends on what you mean. Are you going to WIN the Cactus Classic with those lap times? Most likely no, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time and money. If you go out and race and have a good time then it's worth it in my book. You get race experience, you get to hang out with a bunch of drivers from different places. Maybe even learn a thing or two.

Just depends on your expectations I guess. Go for the experience and you might have a blast, go expecting to win the whole thing? Probable disappointment.

You would be going up against the best racers in the world, so if winning is the only way to enjoy yourself then I would say pass on the Cactus.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Depends on what you mean. Are you going to WIN the Cactus Classic with those lap times? Most likely no, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time and money. If you go out and race and have a good time then it's worth it in my book. You get race experience, you get to hang out with a bunch of drivers from different places. Maybe even learn a thing or two.

Just depends on your expectations I guess. Go for the experience and you might have a blast, go expecting to win the whole thing? Probable disappointment.

You would be going up against the best racers in the world, so if winning is the only way to enjoy yourself then I would say pass on the Cactus.
Good advise. I entered the Cactus in 2007(?) as a middle of the pack racer and had a blast. Won the D main in 4wd 10.5 buggy, got bumped to the C main and finished "middle of the pack". The experience was worth it all the way. I would have paid the entrance fee just to hang with the pros. Watching and learning from the best of the best cannot be duplicated any other time of the year. I say go for it.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no illusions of grandeur about winning anything. What I meant was at a club race you get at least 3 races, at the Cactus is it one and done when you get smoked by the world champs or do you at least get to race a few more times for not worst of the worst?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mrbirchum
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no illusions of grandeur about winning anything. What I meant was at a club race you get at least 3 races, at the Cactus is it one and done when you get smoked by the world champs or do you at least get to race a few more times for not worst of the worst?

Not sure about that, one of the guys who's done it before can answer I'm sure.

I'm not gonna, cuz I just started and I would just be worried about taking out some sponsored guy and breaking his truck or something. If I was runnin the laps you are I would though!

DO IT!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Unless they changed the format... In years past everyone qualifies together and then heats are formed. Like I said I raced in the D and C mains. I may have qualified with the pros but once the times were in I qualifed for the D main.

Qualifying is just that. You may be standing next to Maifield in qualifying but unless your qualifying times are the same as his you wont be in the A main. It was a blast just to be part of the experience.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Had a blast in my first race with the FT SC10 today. Thanks to Darren and Mike for helping me dial it in...

Even so I still couldn't finish the day. Damn my luck has been bad at SRS lately. I cant even tell if I'm gettin better cuz I'm always having car issues! Everyone who has fried a ball diff in 1 1/2 races raise your hand! /raisehand

I know they are supposed to be better, but I'm gonna pass on the ball diff and just put a gear diff in this thing, I'm not good enough at maintenance to try another ball diff. I have much respect for you guys because these things are not as easy to build as one might think.

Good news is I didn't break anything else! (yet)

Last edited by MaplestreetRC; 02-12-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone know how practice will be run this year at Cactus?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Just an fyi for anyone planning on attending the S.W.I.C.C. on Feb 25th. The majority of the touring car racers had asked insted of a boosted class to run just straight up 17.5 no boost. So we have made the change for the race. Also please remember if there is anyone who want to "add" a class for the road course event all that is required is 5 dedicated entries. Look forward to seeing everyone if possible......Rich
Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey gang,

Not long now!!! I am just starting to sort out all my crap and what nots.
So much to do and little time to do it, nerves just starting to creep in here and there.

Couple of questions,

Do they have a concourse?

What is the minimum numbers to run a class, although there is still 3 weeks until entries close, some of my classes are short in numbers, is it a minimum 10 cars to form a field?

Cheers lads.

I am looking forward to putting some faces to the names too!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Smile

Hello- I'm planing a trip to PHX March 5th-10th. I was curious to know what tires/compound would be a good choice for SC10, 2WD Buggy and 1/8 buggy?

Thank you in advance!

PS- Does the shop at SRS carry most tires?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nrm1977
Hello- I'm planing a trip to PHX March 5th-10th. I was curious to know what tires/compound would be a good choice for SC10, 2WD Buggy and 1/8 buggy?

Thank you in advance!

PS- Does the shop at SRS carry most tires?
Aka gridiron,jc double d,proline sniper all in super soft. Yes, many different tires to choose from

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.