Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaplestreetRC
Ugh, frustrating day at the track... (did I say day? I meant hour)

Finally got my Novak GTB2 13.5 brushless setup. Was stoked to try it out and FIRST lap of the first race, bam, my battery connection solder broke off. Not exactly surprising because that was my first time soldering anything but before it broke, it was clear that I was not even close to having the correct gearing for SRS.

I was just running the stock gearing in the HPI Blitz which is 18/88.

What are you guys running with Novak 13.5 brushless? Like I said, when I was doing practice laps the big double in front was totally out of the question.

Any advice? Or is there something I need to do with the ESC to get some more punch?
Bert
I'm not sure but I think some cars/trucks etc have a different final drive/gear ratio in the tranny vs. other manufacturers so get up there a little early on Wednesday and talk to Humpty. He will help you with anything and 'only' has several decades of experience-he's forgot more than most of us will ever learn.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Ugh, frustrating day at the track... (did I say day? I meant hour)
I guess I shouldn't complain! I didn't break until the Novice Main where I sheared off a kingpin and broke a caster block in the front end landing a jump. So you can break a Slash!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by daveb
When you refer to the Maifield setup, are you referring to the NorCal setup or the Leisure Hours setup?
NorCal.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Have been out of the loop for a while. Are you guys still running DD's in 2wd buggy? Anyone try the AKA buggy tires? How about the AKA foams... front and rear? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by YotieKillin
Which compound? Super soft or soft or is there a combination of the two?
Soft fronts, Super Soft Rears, Standard foams in front, AkA or Proline rear foam.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longlivethe3
Bert
I'm not sure but I think some cars/trucks etc have a different final drive/gear ratio in the tranny vs. other manufacturers so get up there a little early on Wednesday and talk to Humpty. He will help you with anything and 'only' has several decades of experience-he's forgot more than most of us will ever learn.
I will do just that, thx Lance.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
VDK
Tech Apprentice

Default Back for more:)

13 year old wanted to start racing short course so here I go again

I purchased the Associated SC10RS and upgraded the front with RPM products. I put a few holes in the body to help prevent parachuting.

Is the stock brushless ok for the 13.5t class? Do I need to do anything other than follow maifields cactus classic set-up? Are the stock sub culture rears and associated stock fronts ok to start? Are you guys using anti-squat to keep the rear down?

I will start him in novice. He did well with a t4 we raced when up in flagstaff about 6 years ago, although it was on pavement and we used foams.

I think he will move into regular racing quickly. I am trying to keep up with his needs as his repairman/bank and thinking ahead

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

I wanted to post this to the on-road crowd at SRS. Competition Hobbies is hosting an on-road only race on Saturday February 25th at 1:00. Information can be found in the Competition Hobbies thread.

Rich
Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scottkag
I guess I shouldn't complain! I didn't break until the Novice Main where I sheared off a kingpin and broke a caster block in the front end landing a jump. So you can break a Slash!
Dont worry man, I had a Slash first and even though I loved that truck, I broke plenty of parts. Especially once I started racing!. lol

It's fun though. Fixing them is half the enjoyment of this whole hobby. I think I've got the Blitz pretty dialed in for Wed. Redid the solders and did a bunch of other maintenence. With any luck I hope to finish in the top 10. :P (inside joke)
Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey all,

Sorry to be a bother again, i am just getting ready to make my tyre order. what will tyre wear be like at the cactus?
Will 2 sets of each compound (2x blue 2x orange) bar code be enough for qual and racing in stock 17.5? for each car?

And do you run firm inserts in the front also?.

Plus practice tyres of course and wednesday night racing too.

Cheers

John
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

John, I would get maybe another set of each just to be safe. If the track grooves up tire wear will come up as well. If you need anything, just hunt me down in the pits. I will have extra buggy tires with me...Rich
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Dont worry man, I had a Slash first and even though I loved that truck, I broke plenty of parts. Especially once I started racing!. lol
Hopefully I'll have it screwed back together by Saturday! I know the Slash is unfashionable at SRS, but I'm going to stick with it for now.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Might be coming from Cali to attend the Cactus Classic. I see that any pin style tire works but what about Suburbs in M4 compound?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Came out to the track to get a few practice laps in on the new motor and who was in the house? Mayfield gettin some practice in with his 8th scale nitro. LoL I totally smoked him with the blitz. Hehe jk. Cool guy tho.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by skengines
Might be coming from Cali to attend the Cactus Classic. I see that any pin style tire works but what about Suburbs in M4 compound?
cactus will be run on dry track, so you should be good.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.