Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mellen_mpz
No offense but I thought I explained that pretty well, but here goes again........If the trucks are evenly matched, I (as well as many others) might stand a chance. Currently, I can go around that track with my truck and make no mistakes and run good/tight lines and my lap times are still a second or 2 from what the guys are running (and I have burned up 2 motors doing so). My truck is simply outmatched as far as speed goes. Its basically a waste of time IMO.
To me, this class is a "who can gear/time their truck fastest without burning up" competition rather than who can drive the best. I am clearly not the best at making my truck fast so the driving part doesn't even matter.
Have you asked anyone who is as fast as you'd like to be for help? Just about every guy out there will gladly show you what to try.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
Have you asked anyone who is as fast as you'd like to be for help? Just about every guy out there will gladly show you what to try.

Yeah I did that once. Guy cranked my timing up as high as it would go. Burned up my LRP motor in about 3 minutes.

Seriously, I have tried just about everything and I cant keep the temps down. I even put everything away and stopped racing for a month because I was so frustrated with it. I was just testing out my new Novak 13.5 on my back yard track. No timing (well....stock timing setting on the motor) and tried several different gearing combos. The best temp I could get was 155 after 5 minutes. The truck was painfully slow. I just dont get it. Its to the point where I honestly dont know what I can do to make this truck finish a race without burning up another $80 motor other than sell it and stick with 2wd buggy and 4wd open class. I like driving this truck but it is effing slow compared to other guys trucks so it just sucks.

That is why I suggested a spec class.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Suspended

Yeah I did that once. Guy cranked my timing up as high as it would go. Burned up my LRP motor in about 3 minutes.

Seriously, I have tried just about everything and I cant keep the temps down. I even put everything away and stopped racing for a month because I was so frustrated with it. I was just testing out my new Novak 13.5 on my back yard track. No timing (well....stock timing setting on the motor) and tried several different gearing combos. The best temp I could get was 155 after 5 minutes. The truck was painfully slow. I just dont get it. Its to the point where I honestly dont know what I can do to make this truck finish a race without burning up another $80 motor other than sell it and stick with 2wd buggy and 4wd open class. I like driving this truck but it is effing slow compared to other guys trucks so it just sucks.

That is why I suggested a spec class.
The next time you're at the track go talk to Humpty, Brandon or Tim to see how the are gearing and where their timing is. All 3 are fast and all 3 will show you what they are doing. Don't forget to compair their speed control settings to yours.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
The next time you're at the track go talk to Humpty, Brandon or Tim to see how the are gearing and where their timing is. All 3 are fast and all 3 will show you what they are doing. Don't forget to compair their speed control settings to yours.
Well, I ask everyone all the time and the only response I get is "I have no idea why your truck runs so hot, it doesnt make sense". Nobody seems to run a xxx with MMP and either an LRP or Novak motor so most people cant help me. I tried a Novak Kinetic last week and after struggling to get the software downloaded, drivers downloaded and the speed control updated (why they would sell a brand new outdated speed control???) It ran the same high temps as my MMP (higher, actually).

At this point, I would actually pay someone if they could set this truck up to be fast and successfully finish a race.

The funny thing is, I have the same exact speed control and motor in my losi 22. I was experimenting with it wed night at the track. I ended up with a 27 tooth pinion, timing cranked all the way up on the motor and speed control (still in smart sense mode though) and the motor temped 130 at the end of the main. I will probably switch to sensored only mode for more timing ability but at least I can experiment with it and it acts normal. This is not the case with my SCT.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Well, I ask everyone all the time and the only response I get is "I have no idea why your truck runs so hot, it doesnt make sense". Nobody seems to run a xxx with MMP and either an LRP or Novak motor so most people cant help me. I tried a Novak Kinetic last week and after struggling to get the software downloaded, drivers downloaded and the speed control updated (why they would sell a brand new outdated speed control???) It ran the same high temps as my MMP (higher, actually).

At this point, I would actually pay someone if they could set this truck up to be fast and successfully finish a race.
Put your Novak Kinetic and Novak motor in and go see Humpty in the store.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you nhave a kinetic and ballistic 13.5 ,,,I know I can make it run fast and cool.. I ran a 10min main last nite and came off at 150

I fya ask the right people we can help...

The funny thing is, I have the same exact speed control and motor in my losi 22. I was experimenting with it wed night at the track. I ended up with a 27 tooth pinion, timing cranked all the way up on the motor and speed control (still in smart sense mode though) and the motor temped 130 at the end of the main. I will probably switch to sensored only mode for more timing ability but at least I can experiment with it and it acts normal. This is not the case with my SCT.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Humpty
If you nhave a kinetic and ballistic 13.5 ,,,I know I can make it run fast and cool.. I ran a 10min main last nite and came off at 150

I fya ask the right people we can help...
I would be greatful for any help you can give me. I'm going out of town for work this week but will be back in town saturday. I'm planning on racing next wednesday so I usually come early to practice.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I didn't catch what SCT your running....

Since you have a few days before you can see Humpty, go through your truck. Make sure nothing is dragging, lagging or binding, go through ALL of your bearings, make sure your wheels are spinning freely, make sure your gear mesh is set propery (the motor can move), make sure your slipper is set properly, etc.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole wheelie thing either, that could be as simple as another truck having a better set-up and better traction than you or hitting a bump perfectly on the straight while on power, the possibilities are endless.

That being said, if you get your truck squared away, with out a doubt humpty will get your speedo squared away
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM
KMR
Tech Fanatic

I just read the posts and Iím glad Humpty responded already.. If ANYONE needs help please do not hesitate to come in the shop and ask.. We would be more then happy to help!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mHOUPS
I didn't catch what SCT your running....

Since you have a few days before you can see Humpty, go through your truck. Make sure nothing is dragging, lagging or binding, go through ALL of your bearings, make sure your wheels are spinning freely, make sure your gear mesh is set propery (the motor can move), make sure your slipper is set properly, etc.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole wheelie thing either, that could be as simple as another truck having a better set-up and better traction than you or hitting a bump perfectly on the straight while on power, the possibilities are endless.

That being said, if you get your truck squared away, with out a doubt humpty will get your speedo squared away
sorry....Its a Losi XXX SCT. The truck is good. Everything is free. I have even tried 2 different transmissions with different diffs. While I have only been back at this for about a year, its my 3rd time in the hobby in 25 years so I'm not a total newb but this whole brushless/timing thing sure has made this hobby a lot less fun for me. I used to spend 90% of the time driving and 10% working on cars. Its the other way around now (and thats being generous!)
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Concerning the 'spec' class. Yes, the fast guys would still obviously be at the front. But as Jeff points out, the vehicle would be that much less of a determining factor. If everyone is/was on an equal platform, then the person out front is truly the most talented on that particular day. Not that a faster vehicle would make the difference for about 90% of the field, but it would eliminate that slight 'doubt' that some of the "faster-but-not-fastest" guys may have. I for one know I will never be challenging for the A-Main lead in any of the popular classes. Knowing that the truck/buggy that I run isn't even capable of doing so pretty much deflates the motivation for being there. The way I have my current short-course setup, I feel that in the right hands, it could be right up there battling for the lead. I'd be willing to bet however, that a lot of the folks don't feel that way about their rides...or they're just in denial like me.

Perhaps if/when there is another series, we could run a spec class? Or if we don't want to wait for another series to start, then on the 'off series' nights we could experiment by trying one? Pick either short course or Buggy as they seem to have the most participants.

I'd gladly take the timing off of my stuff (not that it's that much) to give it a go.

Oh and Humpty helped me with some basic settings for my kinetic. They seem to work really well.

Last edited by Buzz65; 06-12-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added more content.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Humpty, how about just giving us all your electronic setup tips and tricks right here?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

a spec class will just further kill racing.
There should be LESS classes, not more..

food for thought..

billy fischer ran a 11/5:04 in 13.5 buggy with a speed control that has NO BOOST or timing.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've seen a few of those super fast wheelie kings pull off the track and from 5 ft away you could smell their motor. Some guys don't care, must be rich or something. My Novak is coming off the track at 140-150. My 200 deg oops was after 15 mins of driving, 5 of which Tommy tried to hit the triple. Lol. Took alot of testing to get it where I like it ( Im too stubborn to ask others what they run). If you are running timing then try backing off the set point so that it Only comes on down the straight.

Also keep in mind the faster you go the more brake you use. That will warm it up too. I turned down my initial brake and my temps dropped. Just an idea.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My 13.5 will pull wheelies on demand and comes off at 135 after 10 mins.

I just bought what the fast guys run. Ha!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.