Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you electric 1/8th haters should read some of the conversion threads.

The 'pros' are turning faster lap times with the nitro 1/8th then the electrics recently at some big races. Penalizing for running a conversion doesnt make sense.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
cool, so i can run 1/10th nitro buggy at the cactus? sign me up
t-bag: sure can, good luck with your redcat. get your slash yet?

just for the record i'm not complaining.............this time. no firecrotching here Shizzila.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default electric

Originally Posted by bradfox2 View Post

The 'pros' are turning faster lap times with the nitro 1/8th then the electrics recently at some big races. Penalizing for running a conversion doesnt make sense.
I am not a hater 2 of my friends I race with every week race electric 1/8 scale and they cant race the series, sad thing is they could both win the ACS race at SRS given the chance. I dont think it was because they run electric it's because they were fast that people took notice. If they were putting arround at the back of the field no one would have cared. Kenny will let you race just get more than 4 and its a race. This is a Nitro series.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

It was the Toys for Tots race at Thunder Alley. Supposedly Adam Drake ran slower with electric even without a pitstop. But than again there was less competition in that class, so maybe he was cruising. http://www.rctech.net/forum/5141079-post12444.html

The 'running electric' penalty was because its a different power plant, not because its faster or slower. I don't think it really matters for club racing or smaller races, since we are just racing for fun of competition. But in a larger race, I can see why it matters, even though I am personally just racing for fun and the competition. But in a club race, if qualify with guys my same speed then I don't think it matters what I'm driving if were turning the same lap times.

You can debate all day on the pros and cons of nitro vs electric. Most people know the pros of running electric. Electrics have more responsive throttle so its easier to control power delivery in corners, more torque down low. You can get them to accelerate faster than gas. I did hear that a properly tuned gas engine will run just as well. Is that true? Electrics definately require less maintenance and tuning.

but not many people know the cons.

They are heavier so corner speed can be slower, and there's no slipper so its hard to control when landing off the jumps. You can't get on the throttle as quick when you land, you have to wait a split second. They're harder to control your pitch in the air with brakes or throttle so you can't set up for the landing as well. Even though they are faster in some areas, they are slower in others when compared to nitros. Watch some of the videos online and you'll see these differences.

Now... If 1/8 scale electrics ever get a slipper and a quick change battery, electrics will OWN nitros.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Suspended

dont the tekno kits have a clutch. thats pretty much a slipper. and for the quick change batteries issue, I would say just practice taking off body clips real fast

As for running with nitro buggies I dont really care if I race with them. I dont think any of the two have an advantage.

The way I see it is we are all pretty much doing this for fun. None of us are making money out here in AZ except for Billy and Ryan. If we spent more time racing and not wondering whos running what and whats legal, We all would have a lot more fun. The only time that rules should really matter is if there is a big race with a tech station.

And pretty much what I have learned in R/C so far its only about 15% car 85% driver anyway
exampleand this is just an example not a statement) if Humpty got an electric 1/8th scale and completely dominated the nitro cars who cares that means he just drove better

Everyone just needs to have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats all that matters
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

rcracer07

dont the tekno kits have a clutch. thats pretty much a slipper. and for the quick change batteries issue, I would say just practice taking off body clips real fast

As for running with nitro buggies I dont really care if I race with them. I dont think any of the two have an advantage.

The way I see it is we are all pretty much doing this for fun. None of us are making money out here in AZ except for Billy and Ryan. If we spent more time racing and not wondering whos running what and whats legal, We all would have a lot more fun. The only time that rules should really matter is if there is a big race with a tech station.

And pretty much what I have learned in R/C so far its only about 15% car 85% driver anyway
exampleand this is just an example not a statement) if Humpty got an electric 1/8th scale and completely dominated the nitro cars who cares that means he just drove better

Everyone just needs to have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats all that matters
well said.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All you need is 4 1/8 electric racers and you can race in your own class, Kenny already made that clear. If it's so great than finding 3 other guys shouldn't be that hard.

And if you want to race in the series so bad (mr. cornholio), why not get a nitro car, what are YOU so afraid of? Oh yeah, you need to actually know how to maintain and tune a nitro engine, not just turn it on and go. It's not the driving part that makes 1/8 electric and 1/8 nitro so different, it's the mechanics and maintenance part that makes them apples and oranges. Electric buggys don't flame out, run out of gas, or need re-tuning before a race.

So again, if you want to race 1/8 electric in the series, just get more people to join you and the problem is solved.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
All you need is 4 1/8 electric racers and you can race in your own class, Kenny already made that clear. If it's so great than finding 3 other guys shouldn't be that hard.

And if you want to race in the series so bad (mr. cornholio), why not get a nitro car, what are YOU so afraid of? Oh yeah, you need to actually know how to maintain and tune a nitro engine, not just turn it on and go. It's not the driving part that makes 1/8 electric and 1/8 nitro so different, it's the mechanics and maintenance part that makes them apples and oranges. Electric buggys don't flame out, run out of gas, or need re-tuning before a race.

So again, if you want to race 1/8 electric in the series, just get more people to join you and the problem is solved.
+1
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

gasholes!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Trevor email me already
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have an extra set of AKA I-beams, medium, still in package for sale to locals only, 56 bucks and they are yours, just what I paid for them, if not, I'll return them to Amain. 605-561-4155
Old 12-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
gasholes!

And proud of it.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shocker, call me, I'm building the 9.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shocker View Post

Ive pretty much raced nitro my whole life with the exception of some 10th scale elec truck a few years back and now the elec 8th scale. I have a nitro 8ight and an e-8ight. Pesonally I dont give a shit whether we can race electrics in the series, bc if i wanted to run it I would just use my nitro, but I just dont see why the maintenance argument/issue makes any sense. i.e. 10th scale: Why wouldn't you let a brushless motor race with a brushed electric motor, as long as it goes the same overall speed and can run the same average lap times, just because you don't have to cut comms, buy brushes, etc??

We're not racing to see who can be a better mechanic or can tune an engine the best or who has the most money to spend. Were racing to see who can drive the fastest. If electric 8ths are so far showing to be all around slower then Nitro 1/8 scale with the best drivers what are you so afraid of? Electrics have battery changes, thermals, and maintenance problems of their own anyway so its not just a walk in the park.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Ive pretty much raced nitro my whole life with the exception of some 10th scale elec truck a few years back and now the elec 8th scale. I have a nitro 8ight and an e-8ight. Pesonally I dont give a shit whether we can race electrics in the series, bc if i wanted to run it I would just use my nitro, but I just dont see why the maintenance argument/issue makes any sense. i.e. 10th scale: Why wouldn't you let a brushless motor race with a brushed electric motor, as long as it goes the same overall speed and can run the same average lap times, just because you don't have to cut comms, buy brushes, etc??

We're not racing to see who can be a better mechanic or can tune an engine the best or who has the most money to spend. Were racing to see who can drive the fastest. If electric 8ths are so far showing to be all around slower then Nitro 1/8 scale with the best drivers what are you so afraid of? Electrics have battery changes, thermals, and maintenance problems of their own anyway so its not just a walk in the park.
ok ok mr clement..lol...this is a good point...why in the first place did you let a cerain someone racea series race..then when he won you penalized him...

but you guys have your gas thing going..as for sean dont forget i killed onroad in az remember...wow...but i guess were not allowed to have opinions here in az...that worked out well for the old srs...hahahahaha

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.