Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
SRS - Scottsdale    The un-official racers thread >

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by az00lude View Post
What broke? I'm sure you can get any part you need with all the hobby shops around.

Hey what was your fast lap in the 808 last night? I was thinking about it...
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

It's obvious when someone is winning in the novice class all the time that they are no longer novice and need to be bumped. I hear Wheelie already mentioning this on the mic, so it's already in place.

Furthermore, if you are getting smoked in the next higher class and choose to go to the novice class to try and build confidence by winning a few, I think it should be your choice. This too, I think is kinda already in place.

So with that concept, I'm just thinking we should continue in this pattern and have an Expert/Mod class where you kinda have to earn your way in by the same standards already in place. If you want to race "Expert/Mod", but you are in the way, getting lapped, taking people out, I forsee Wheelie putting you in the right place. That's how I forsee it "working". We're kinda already doing it, but again....no motor rulz. Just ability.

Novice: Beginner, run what you brung, no motor limits

Sportsman: defined classes (truck, buggie, 1/8 scale, etc), good drivers, no motor limits

Expert/Mod: defined classes (truck, buggie, 1/8 scale etc), no motor limits

During slower summer turnouts, yes Kioni, you'de have to mix classes just to make a class. Kinda what's happening now. But on good turnouts, this is a possible system I see making racers happy and racing against people their own speed.

Just brainstorming. I'm not sure it would work, but we kinda already have a little of it now in place at SRS.

Last edited by markhat250; 07-20-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2 View Post
Hey what was your fast lap in the 808 last night? I was thinking about it...
Mid 24 in the main.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
It's obvious when someone is winning in the novice class all the time that they are no longer novice and need to be bumped. I hear Wheelie already mentioning this on the mic, so it's already in place.

Furthermore, if you are getting smoked in the next higher class and choose to go to the novice class to try and build confidence by winning a few, I think it should be your choice. This too, I think is kinda already in place.

So with that concept, I'm just thinking we should continue in this pattern and have an Expert/Mod class where you kinda have to earn your way in by the same standards already in place. If you want to race "Expert/Mod", but you are in the way, getting lapped, taking people out, I forsee Wheelie putting you in the right place. Or if you are in the lower class and want to take some abuse in the Mod class, I'm sure that could be arranged too if you look like you can handle it. That's how I forsee it "working". We're kinda already doing it. Again....no motor rulz. Just ability.

Novice: Beginner, run what you brung, no motor limits

Sportsman: defined classes (truck, buggie, 1/8 scale, etc), good drivers, no motor limits

Expert/Mod: defined classes (truck, buggie, 1/8 scale etc), no motor limits

On slower turnouts, yes Kioni, you'de have to mix classes just to make a class. But on good turnouts, this is a possible system I see making racers happy and racing against people their own speed.

Just brainstorming. I'm not sure it would work, but again, we kinda already have a little of it in place at SRS now.

You could apply it to 1.8th scale if you combined the fast nitro guys and fast electric guys and then the slower nitros and slower elecs.

I don't think the fast nitros mind considering Tom was doing 13 laps in the nitro. Faster Tq then the electric i believe, even if only by a small margin. As an electric driver, I dont mind driving with nitros, and like the extra competition.

Just a thought.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i thought you ere talking about seperating everyone by laptimes into classes, nevermind.

Last edited by MikeFriery; 07-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
yeah, electric drivers will mind running with 1/8th scale lol.. our cars tend to break.
Try an AE car then.
J/K
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yeah, electric drivers will mind running with 1/8th scale lol.. our cars tend to break.
Mike I believe Brad was talking about 1/8th electric and nitro only. But if I know you, you meant that another way lol!

I certainly wouldnt mind running with the gassers the more the merrier and basically the same cars just different propulsion....
Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Electric 1.8th and nitro 1.8th
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2 View Post
Electric 1.8th and nitro 1.8th
Wasn't it only a few months back that the 1/8 scale guys were wanting to split the two classes? It happened, and now they want to go back to the 'traditional' 1/8 scale classes and Program (Sportsman, and Expert)?

Let me first start by saying that it is very hard to split classes by skill at the club race level, and will typically make for thin classes/heats, but more competive racing between the few in each class. Even at the JBRL's I have gone to, with 200+ entries, some classes still manage to only get 4-5 entires, but it is normally close racing between the 4-5 in that class.

Its tough to police and keep the classes/skills alligned, but it would be really simple to do Mod truck, 4 wheel and 2 wheel (run any motor you want), Super Stock (13.5's) truck, 4 wheel and 2 wheel and "Stock, Rookie, Novice" - whatever you want to call it, but only 1 class. Make it a 17.5 motor, and run any car/truck... 13.5 will be the "meat" of your entries, possibly "stock". Mod classes would probably be really thin, and Mod 4 wheel would probably not be ran.

There are problems with my suggestions I know, but that is pretty much the standard for ROAR, JBRL, or any other large elctric race/orginization in the US right now.

To be honest, im perfectly content with the class layout as it is at SRS ( I would like to see MOD class's come back, as 10 minute mains and 10.5 motors don't mix well for most) but it works, racing is good in almost all classes, and ALMOST everyone seems to be having fun. This is just a suggestion that I thought I should throw out there.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRFXXXT View Post
Wasn't it only a few months back that the 1/8 scale guys were wanting to split the two classes? It happened, and now they want to go back to the 'traditional' 1/8 scale classes and Program (Sportsman, and Expert)?

Let me first start by saying that it is very hard to split classes by skill at the club race level, and will typically make for thin classes/heats, but more competive racing between the few in each class. Even at the JBRL's I have gone to, with 200+ entries, some classes still manage to only get 4-5 entires, but it is normally close racing between the 4-5 in that class.

Its tough to police and keep the classes/skills alligned, but it would be really simple to do Mod truck, 4 wheel and 2 wheel (run any motor you want), Super Stock (13.5's) truck, 4 wheel and 2 wheel and "Stock, Rookie, Novice" - whatever you want to call it, but only 1 class. Make it a 17.5 motor, and run any car/truck... 13.5 will be the "meat" of your entries, possibly "stock". Mod classes would probably be really thin, and Mod 4 wheel would probably not be ran.

There are problems with my suggestions I know, but that is pretty much the standard for ROAR, JBRL, or any other large elctric race/orginization in the US right now.

To be honest, im perfectly content with the class layout as it is at SRS ( I would like to see MOD class's come back, as 10 minute mains and 10.5 motors don't mix well for most) but it works, racing is good in almost all classes, and ALMOST everyone seems to be having fun. This is just a suggestion that I thought I should throw out there.

I never bitched about separating the classes, it was mostly the nitro guys that complained, I think. I dont care if we run together or separate, but I said I don't mind if we run as a whole 1/8 expert with gas and elec to prevent problems similar to what happened on sat night.

Either way, Im still having a good time racing.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

For the record it was mainly the electric guys that asked me for a seperate 1/8th electric class, the nitro guys didn't seem to care
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default race

I had a blast at the points race Saturday, it was great to see all the people at SRS. I like the format the way it is.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default points

Are the points posted yet?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Yo! New to the whole RC racing thing. I live here in Mesa, looking to race my TRF414M2 & TA03F's....Can I race those at SRS in a class? I've never been there so thought I'd ask. Also does anyone know if they have anything about drifting either? Like a damn track lol

Thanks again,

Vince
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want to change the classes and split things up more then it already is then there will have to be a lot earlier starting time unless you enjoy leaving the track at 2 or 3 am. From the looks of it there doesn't seem to be enough of a turnout to split up 1/8 scale anymore then it is, it would be cool to see some mod racing out there again though. You also have to think of it like this, the faster guys in any class will drive around the slower ones, that's just part of racing.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.