Carbon composite filaments >

Carbon composite filaments

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By daleburr

Carbon composite filaments

Old 11-16-2023, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Carbon composite filaments

I've had stuff printed at work on the SLS machines before using CF Nylon. The parts are mega strong, but there's a fair bit of warping and the tolerances aren't great for small parts.

So I've recently purchased a Bambu X1C, so I can experiment a bit more without hassling the techs at work every day.

The parts above are printed using Prussa PC CF (polycarbonate carbon blend). Its a dream to print. No drying needed, no stringing, layers barely visible.

The printed parts are accurate, stiff and strong. I've tapped the ballstud holes. I tested an early version by trying to rip a stud out with pliers. It was possible but took some effort! The test part failed by the layers detaching, which is a weakness of PC.

I have some PA CF as well which should be even stronger (better layer adhesion), but is a bit harder to print as it has to be thoroughly dried. I'll do a test part and compare to see if its worth the effort.

These particular parts are for wet weather Frontie racing to increase the front camber link length, giving more steering.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Prusa PC CF is one of my faves but its definitely spendy at like $60 a spool so I've resorted to cheaper PETG filament. PETG is very strong if you print things with 100% infill.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

What would be the best reasonably priced printer that could print using CF?
Old 01-06-2024, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

Nice. PC is known to have a much better layer adhesion than any other material, I doubt you would get better parts with PA-CF than PC-CF. And from what I heard (and I'm yet to try), PC Blend is probably the best and easier to go (specially for the people not using hardened gears and hardened nozzles)