Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > 3D Printing Forum
3D Printing a 1/10 "Badger" FWD Buggy.. >

3D Printing a 1/10 "Badger" FWD Buggy..

Like Tree8Likes

3D Printing a 1/10 "Badger" FWD Buggy..

Old 01-21-2023, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 3D Printing a 1/10 "Badger" FWD Buggy..

Hi folks,
I'm 3D printing up a Badger. I got the plans here: cults3d.com
I've been searching, and am surprised I don't see anything for it here on RCtech.net or discord.. There's a few youtube vids out there, like this one..

Anyways- anyone else made one of these? If so, what shocks/tires did you use (I'd rather source these and not print them), and have been wondering how the printed link balls will hold up (maybe best to use metal ones and injection molded links?) I am going to try the printed diff- hope it holds up! If not, I will try to grab the Yokomo one. I'd love to share notes- and I think the ultimate would be a race of all 3D printed badgers!!!

The Orange and Black printer is a Prusa i3 MK3S that I bought used from a friend's printer farm (he sells them once they hit 1000 hours, and buys new ones).. The Grey printer is a Prusa i3 MK2.5S+ that I cloned/built from scratch. I documented that build on my youtube channel if anyone is interested in that: my YouTube page..

Here's where I've gotten so far:

Orange and black printer is printing Polymaker/Polylite PLA Plus. The Grey printer is printing Prusament PETG.

I've got perhaps 3/4 of the parts printed, but still need all the bearings/screws/pins...

Orange parts are PETG.. Black parts are PLA Plus. I wonder which will hold up! :-)
jeanethics and smirkracing like this.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm real curious how that printed diff will hold up!
Old 01-28-2023, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JasonRP
Hi folks,
I'm 3D printing up a Badger. I got the plans here: cults3d.com
I've been searching, and am surprised I don't see anything for it here on RCtech.net or discord.. There's a few youtube vids out there, like this one..

Anyways- anyone else made one of these? If so, what shocks/tires did you use (I'd rather source these and not print them), and have been wondering how the printed link balls will hold up (maybe best to use metal ones and injection molded links?) I am going to try the printed diff- hope it holds up! If not, I will try to grab the Yokomo one. I'd love to share notes- and I think the ultimate would be a race of all 3D printed badgers!!!

The Orange and Black printer is a Prusa i3 MK3S that I bought used from a friend's printer farm (he sells them once they hit 1000 hours, and buys new ones).. The Grey printer is a Prusa i3 MK2.5S+ that I cloned/built from scratch. I documented that build on my youtube channel if anyone is interested in that: my YouTube page..

Here's where I've gotten so far:

Orange and black printer is printing Polymaker/Polylite PLA Plus. The Grey printer is printing Prusament PETG.

I've got perhaps 3/4 of the parts printed, but still need all the bearings/screws/pins...

Orange parts are PETG.. Black parts are PLA Plus. I wonder which will hold up! :-)
It would be a good idea to get them printers up off of the carpet. Carpet loves static electricity so not very good for the printers or any electronics for that matter. Great job on the parts though.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any updates? I want to build this one too, as long at the MkUltra build goes well...I dont see why not.
Over on rcgroups is a big thread on the MkUltra, in the off road vehicles section. Lots of good info in there. Also a thread on the Badger, "New printed fwd buggy"
Im using a Sovol SV06, which is a prusa clone like yours
Hopefully you got a table or desk to put your machines on by now
Old 02-11-2023, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by petersen114
It would be a good idea to get them printers up off of the carpet. Carpet loves static electricity so not very good for the printers or any electronics for that matter. Great job on the parts though.
Thank you! I really should get the printers off the carpet! They've printed like this for a couple of years now, but why take chances! And it's driving me crazy because it's not very neat and clean.. BUT- I once saw a pic of a kid running his 3D printer on a bathroom floor, with urine stains around it. At least my set up is not that bad!! :-)

Originally Posted by kamlooper
Any updates? I want to build this one too, as long at the MkUltra build goes well...I dont see why not.
Over on rcgroups is a big thread on the MkUltra, in the off road vehicles section. Lots of good info in there. Also a thread on the Badger, "New printed fwd buggy"
Im using a Sovol SV06, which is a prusa clone like yours
Hopefully you got a table or desk to put your machines on by now
Yup! Here's where it sits now; I'm waiting on the CVP axles (a common thing if you build one of these!) but, once those come in, I can complete the kit. I have the balls and links ready, threaded rods for the adjustable links, servo horn, etc. ready to go otherwise.

I designed my own wing- what do you guys think? I wanted one that looked more like the mkultra's wing- so I literally combined that wing and the badgers wing in tinkercad; I removed the mkultra wing mounts (didn't line up with the badger wing support) and shortened it a bit front to back. Then I overlaid the badger wing on it- chopped off any overlap, and then exposed the holes for the badger wing mount in the mkultra wing where it had covered them up. Sounds like it would look crappy- I think it came out great! :-)

I also used the upper deck support from Dave Crabbe (he's put a 5 part series of him assembling his on YouTube, and he customized the top deck to move the switch mount to the center so it won't interfere with his speed controller- I'm using the same motor and speed controller he used).. BUT, I then found that his upper deck interferes with the lipo battery pack mount- which the original allowed the battery to slide forward and backwards anyways.. SO: I modified the battery strap- which now works great with the Gens Ace lipo pack (mini) with no sliding, and works too with the modded upper deck. Here are the pics:

petersen114 and 2wdMod like this.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Lookin good! Body came out good, very small seam there. Wing looks great, quite big in fact. It should eliminate nose dive completely. I watched the dave crabble videos, some helpful tips there. What esc/motor combo are you using? Im looking for something cheap but not crappy
What materials did you use for everything? Im using pla+, I have abs +petg on hand, might use tpu on the wing.
Just started the M chassis today, kind of a warm up lol I bought it along with the Badger files, its the least I could do for the designer. I have a bunch of bearings on the way from ali, the shipping times has been good latley, 2 weeks.
Keep us up to date. thanks
Old 02-11-2023, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kamlooper
Lookin good! Body came out good, very small seam there. Wing looks great, quite big in fact. It should eliminate nose dive completely. I watched the dave crabble videos, some helpful tips there. What esc/motor combo are you using? Im looking for something cheap but not crappy
What materials did you use for everything? Im using pla+, I have abs +petg on hand, might use tpu on the wing.
Just started the M chassis today, kind of a warm up lol I bought it along with the Badger files, its the least I could do for the designer. I have a bunch of bearings on the way from ali, the shipping times has been good latley, 2 weeks.
Keep us up to date. thanks
Darn - I typed up a monster reply, and lost it when the window timed out...
Thanks for the compliments! I'm not wanting to do bondo or glazing putty, so I was hoping for small seams- and hopefully strategic paint of stripes and windows will cover the rest.. I'm totally digging how the big wing came out- looks like a Tamiya TRF buggy! Motor combo was exactly the same unit Dave used in his YouTube vid. I got it from Banggood: Surpass-Hobby-F540-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC

Also used these shocks: Hopup Parts 4PCS Shock Absorber Assembled Replacement Short Course Desert Buggy Off-Road
..and these wheels/tires/foams: Hobbypark Outer Diameter 2.99 inch / 76mm Rubber RC Car Tires & Wheel Rims Foam Inserts 12mm Hex Hub (4-Pack)
..and this pinion: Hot Racing CSG1834 34t 48p Hardened Steel Pinion Gear 1/8 Bore
..and waiting on these CVD driveshafts: 2PCS 102016 Steel Universal CVD Dogbone Shaft Joint For RC Model Hobby Car part

For hinge pins, you can buy 3mm metal dowel rod at your hobby shop- I got mine for line 2 bucks- enough to make probably 20 badgers worth of hinge pins! Screws I've so far ordered from Fastenal- kinda pricey for shipping though- I need to figure a better way for screws and fasteners and bearings (amazon is not too bad on bearings)
I just realized the shocks come without being filled with oil- they are oil fill shocks, just not pre-filled. So I need to figure out what the right stuff is to use on these.

So far, I used Polylite PLA Pro (I think it's PLA+) for chassis/diff pully/spur gear/outdrives/wing support/upper deck/balls/links/body/wing.. Used Prusament PETG for lower control arms, shock tower, motor mount, motor cover, layshaft, and diff internal gears. I'm excited to see what holds up- and if I can get good enough with it, I want to try racing it.

I think the M-chassis is righteous- I've owned many. Please share a link of your progress with that, would love to check it out!

Old 02-12-2023, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, I ordered that Surpass combo, good reviews and certainly affordable. I wont run it in the M car, but it should do for either buggy.

I have a few parts lying around from rc helicopters, and found some 2 & 3mm rod that will do great.

The M car is about %75 printed, Im stoked how well the main chassis came out! Everything else lookin good too. Using black pla+ Eryone and grey Pla+ Jayo. The Jayo is the nicest roll of filament Ive ever seen, its rolled perfectly! All the parts cleaned up so easy, my cheap trim tool made the edges so nice. Now time to tapp threads. The long body posts Ill try to print them on the side, much better shear strength.

I took a screenshot of the parts in the folder and printed it out (paper). Im making notes for each part and checking them off as I go. Once the car is assembled Ill make spares, but will hold off until then in case I need to mod anything.

You know theres a thread on rcgroups for the MkUltra and the Badger? Its a few threads below the Mk titled 2wd printed buggy or something. Lots of great info in the Mk thread! Too bad "reid" hasnt been around with more info, he has had good success with his car racing it.

On another note, theres a company called ORB racing, who built a FWD out of a B6.x series car. Looks awesome

Later
JasonRP likes this.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pretty, cool have you completed it yet?
Old 02-17-2023, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Welp- some progress.. After waiting a month for the CVD axles- they finally arrived..... BUT- looks like I'd printed the 11mm version of the spindles- and these axles need the 15mm spindles. Fortunately, somehow I already had the correct (I think!) bearings for this: 10x15x4mm. Printing new spindles now.

I also think I will try small nitril o-rings inside the outdrive cups- to keep the dogbone part of the axle from swing through the diff.. Oh- and according to Dave Crabbe's awesome YouTube vid, I got the sizes of the links (didn't see this listed anywhere else).. 69mm for the upper control arm links, 67.5mm for the tie rod links.

Jason
Old 02-18-2023, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok- it works! I can confirm that all the stuff I linked to above in post #7 works.
I used super lube on all links/balls, and also a bit on the dog bones (as well as, I put small nitril o-rings in the outdrive cups as mentioned above).. Shortened the CVD axles by about 8mm and filed new flats as directed in the .pdfs that come with the model files. I need to fill the shocks (I have NO idea what oil/weight to use!), and glue the tires, and obviously paint the body. BUT, it works- and is quite fast and quiet. Un-believeable that this is all 3D printed.

I used the front control arm limit screws- but did not use the rear control arm limit screws (they sort of stop naturally on the rear wing mount/shocks).. I also did not use the sway bar, but may add it later if it needs it. I'd love to try to race this thing- have no idea what class it would fit in (if any).. I sure hope this inspires others to build one!!!

So far not even one pack through it, so I have no idea what will hold up and what won't, but, my kudos to the designer- great kit!

Mac The Knife and 2wdMod like this.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Congrats! These seem to go together pretty easy, at least my M car does and its very similar to this. For shock oil Id say start with 25 or 30wt. Be sure to get something in there before attempting a jump lol
Ill start printing mine next week.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok- I finished the body (for now- I still might put some numbers on the side, but....)
Since I'm too impatient for great painting (I mean, that whole "multiple light layers" thing defies my sense of patience!) I don't get runs, but, I think if I did light mists only, I'd not get bleed through my tape lines? I got the base color, with masked white stripe, and an orange stripe- then called it quits (because for me- the enemy of good is "better"!) I 3D printed the windows, and stuck 'em on with double sided tape..

I'm all in on this designer now- currently printing/building the M-chassis, and will next build an mkultra. Too much fun! Just gotta load up the shock oil- got 30 weight thanks to your recommendation kamlooper ! Then will try some off road stuffs..

Jason

2wdMod likes this.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Looks Pretty skookum dude!
Ive painted many lexan bodys, a couple helicopters but a printed body will be a little different for sure.
Just started printing Badger parts today
Im really liking Superslicer, just started using it with these builds. Paired with Ponterface its the bomb!
Keep us up to date eh
Old 02-20-2023, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Going forward in R/C I beleive this is the way.. nothing like having spare parts on tap , not having to wait on the delivery guy . Love to see printed stuff like this!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.