PLA bodies and parts in the sun? >

PLA bodies and parts in the sun?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2wdMod

PLA bodies and parts in the sun?

Old 09-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default PLA bodies and parts in the sun?

How well are PLA parts holding up in the sun? I've been printing some parts in PLA, and today I put one of them into the sun to help the putty dry and the piece warped. I've been trying to print those parts in PETG and so far I haven't been able to get one good print. Until I can get over the PETG learning curve, I want to keep printing with PLA. As long as I don't stay in the sun too long and set parts on the black tonneau cover of my truck like I did with this part, will my PLA parts keep their shape?
Old 09-11-2022, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The glass transition point of most pla's is around 60-65 C (130-140 F). I do mainly smaller scale stuff (1/24, 1/36) but recently printed out a 1/10 drag car.. Just sitting out in the sun darker colors will get hot enough to warp, so I try and keep things light colored as not to absorb heat .. That said I am still running a lexan shell on the drag car so none of the black printed plastics are actually directly exposed to the sun ..
Jim85IROC likes this.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:13 AM
Tech Rookie

i think PETG is a better solution. For some parts, ABS or nylon might be considered as well.