Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > 3D Printing Forum
Looking for someone who can 3d print gears >

Looking for someone who can 3d print gears

Like Tree7Likes

Looking for someone who can 3d print gears

Old 02-17-2023, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

Anyway, once you have modeled the gear, there is always the possibility to get it printed in Nylon PA12 using MJF or SLS (power based printing processes) using online services. It works great and I have a car running with grears printed this way...
At the end, my FDM printer is only used to validate everything i ok dimension wise...
Sample of dimensionnal testing (FDM)

Sample of final printed gears (Nylon PA12 SLS diyed red)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by silvertriple
Anyway, once you have modeled the gear, there is always the possibility to get it printed in Nylon PA12 using MJF or SLS (power based printing processes) using online services. It works great and I have a car running with grears printed this way...
At the end, my FDM printer is only used to validate everything i ok dimension wise...
Sample of dimensionnal testing (FDM)

Sample of final printed gears (Nylon PA12 SLS diyed red)
It's not as easy as you think. I started this process in August 2022 and found a guy that would do it for, and it never came to life. The guy was all talk and no show. He outsourced his files to China and that was the end. Several months trying to communicate and no response. Vintage gears Ebay. So on with with it I went to Etsy and found a seller could do a file for $ + material. cheap! As other sellers wanted big bucks $$$ and a file or didn't want to waste time with my part. Long story short I had 2 gears printed pla and 8 gears printed nylon. 1 month total time.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

It maybe not as easy as I think, but they work. I modeled them myself... For a spur gear, it is quite easy : you just have to use a plugin in Fusion360, and for the bevel gears it is slightly more complex as you need to do a projection of a tooth on the cone angle...

That being said, many old vintage rc cars had undersized mod, and in addition to that were also missing bearings. when there is no bearings : it increase the heat due to the rotation of the gear against the axis, and the result is that it allows to to reach higher temperature very easily, resulting in melting gears when it reach HDT of the plastic used. Generally, Nylon or Nylon Glass Filled or Carbon filled should be fine... unless you put exagerated power over it, and in that case, even injection molded gears won't do it...

That being said, i'm thinking about another solution : print a gear in castable resin, and mould metal gears... But that's a lot of work and experience needed that I don't have...
Old 02-17-2023, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

It maybe not as easy as I think, but they work. I modeled them myself... For a spur gear, it is quite easy : you just have to use a plugin in Fusion360, and for the bevel gears it is slightly more complex as you need to do a projection of a tooth on the cone angle...

That being said, many old vintage rc cars had undersized mod, and in addition to that were also missing bearings. when there is no bearings : it increase the heat due to the rotation of the gear against the axis, and the result is that it allows to to reach higher temperature very easily, resulting in melting gears when it reach HDT of the plastic used. Generally, Nylon or Nylon Glass Filled or Carbon filled should be fine... unless you put exagerated power over it, and in that case, even injection molded gears won't do it...

That being said, i'm thinking about another solution : print a gear in castable resin, and mould metal gears... But that's a lot of work and experience needed that I don't have...
Well I found out that it was expensive as i needed a model before I could print, and labor was expensive with most places I request a quote for. before I could print a part.. they said it was not worth it or it was going to cost $$$. I finally got gears for $88 for eight nylon gears. My last resort was to buy gear stock and make my own parts in metal which was even more expensive.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
Well I found out that it was expensive as i needed a model before I could print, and labor was expensive with most places I request a quote for. before I could print a part.. they said it was not worth it or it was going to cost $$$. I finally got gears for $88 for eight nylon gears. My last resort was to buy gear stock and make my own parts in metal which was even more expensive.
Learn CAD is a very good investment... Many people are charging $$$ for something very simple...
That being said, I believe than to do a proper model, you need to have the part you model in hands... Which is the main reason I decline any request to model parts without having it...
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, learning CAD is a huge thing, but once you do it will make your life way easier. I'm only a teen, but I have the ability to basically design anything a need for my SCT that breaks, and print new parts on my 3D printer (ender 3 S1). Right now I am printing some giant drift wheels (Lol) to mess around with on the street with my friends. all in all, learning CAD can be very helpful in the hobby, and for other things too.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Learn CAD is a very good investment... Many people are charging $$$ for something very simple...
That being said, I believe than to do a proper model, you need to have the part you model in hands... Which is the main reason I decline any request to model parts without having it...
I have Design cad 3d max v24. Designing parts is no problem. I just don't have a 3d printer and most cheap ones don't work for what I need. I make all my parts out of aluminum.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

I have Design cad 3d max v24. Designing parts is no problem. I just don't have a 3d printer and most cheap ones don't work for what I need. I make all my parts out of aluminum.
Well... As long as a printer is able to print PLA, you should be able to test parts dimensionnally. This is basically what I did so far on my printer at home : test parts dimensionnally. Once they are tested, I get the printed using online services within the proper material depending of the requirements (and if your 3d software is able to export step, you can even get them done in cnc). I use craftcloud3d as a first entry point for cost comparisons between service provider : many of them are available there. Sometimes it is cheaper to go directly on the provider's site... But yeah, it requires to have a printed at home, and calibrate it to make it dimensionnally accurate (and considering the cost of 3D printers nowadays, there is plenty options at very reasonnable cost - but maybe WAF and room to seat a printer at home is more an issue)...
Old 02-24-2023, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

My software can convert to cnc with Mastercam or other programs to cut cnc All I do is import file and configure toolpath. As for making spur gears; All you need is the pitch , face width and or with hub or no bub; All standard witch you can't seem to do unless you have the part in front of you. I don't know how other manufacture do it without the part in front of them? I found a guy on Etsy who did iit all in a week delivered without the part in hand.. By the way thank for the bad referral places to make my parts. One was a PC board manufacture and the other wanted Big busks and quantity to make parts..It pays to look around Local!
Old 02-24-2023, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

My software can convert to cnc with Mastercam or other programs to cut cnc All I do is import file and configure toolpath. As for making spur gears; All you need is the pitch , face width and or with hub or no bub; All standard witch you can't seem to do unless you have the part in front of you. I don't know how other manufacture do it without the part in front of them? I found a guy on Etsy who did iit all in a week delivered without the part in hand.. By the way thank for the bad referral places to make my parts. One was a PC board manufacture and the other wanted Big busks and quantity to make parts..It pays to look around Local!
I agree it pays in somecase to look local... But it also depends the type of printing process you want. In terms of resistance if you get Nylon printed in FDM it is less resistant than Nylon printed in SLS or MJF (powder based process printed with very high cost printers). Some of the online printers specialized in this are doing decreasing unit cost based on quantity, but they are also able to print 1 part (and for some they have a minimal cost for a printing launch - don't ask me why). I'm based in Europe, and the services I indicated are services I used with satisfactory results, and all of them are cheaper than the most known on the market (Shapeways - which is also European based)...

And for the comment on you can do without the part : yes, you can, but then you have to rely on someone to tell you the exact measurements (and we don't all use the same unit of measures) beside the pitch and the number of tooth... It's also a question of personnal choice : I don't do that for a reason: I can't validate my part is right if I don't have it in hand. And beside the pitch, americans tends to speak in diametral pitch while we are speaking about mod. And although some people think there is some equivalence in some case, it is not the case (there is a long thread about this on another forum)... So at the end, you are right, it is probably easyer to get someone local to you for those many reasons.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Diametrical pitch- Module pitch?/?? I know the difference when I specify a part. to be made. The guy who did my gears did the model right the first time with my specifications.

Last edited by 1995 Monster T; 03-10-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Diametral Pitch vs module.
Diametral Pitch vs. Module: The Differences (ptggear.com)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

What is the smallest module you have printed so far sucessfully in SLS/MJF? I ask because I once had a 48dp spur gear printed on Shapeways but the teeth did not come out very well.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AndreasHerold
What is the smallest module you have printed so far sucessfully in SLS/MJF? I ask because I once had a 48dp spur gear printed on Shapeways but the teeth did not come out very well.
Mod 0.6 in MJF. I had similar gears in SLS and the MJF is clearly better...
They worked in run, but I have no clue how long they will last. Only used them for light runs so far. Since this, I redesign the transmission gears to upgrade to upper mod (0.8) which should be much better anycase (and if you ask the quesion why I redesigned them : I have multiple cars using this same transmission, and I intend to have a printed one using the upgrade transmission for runs in vintage events).