Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > 3D Printing Forum
Need 3D printer recommendations >

Need 3D printer recommendations

Need 3D printer recommendations

Old 06-16-2022, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need 3D printer recommendations

I'm looking for a 3d printer for around 1000, but the problem is that I'm not sure if I should be looking to get a larger printer to print my stuff in one piece, or to get a smaller one and print out the bigger things I need in more pieces and then connect them.
Since I plan on printing both small and big things I'm scared that if I get a larger printer and then print smaller things on it is gonna effect the quality of the smaller thing and vice versa.
The printing size of an larger printer should be at least 50cm x 50cm, and for a smaller printer idm as long as it's not too small, the height doesn't matter to me that much on either.
The stuff I plan on printing the most are parts that I'll can use in my hobbies, as well as decorations for my room and such, but I'd also want to be able to print out like a custom keyboard case and keys if possible.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jorgefreeman View Post
I'm looking for a 3d printer for around 1000, but the problem is that I'm not sure if I should be looking to get a larger printer to print my stuff in one piece, or to get a smaller one and print out the bigger things I need in more pieces and then connect them.
Since I plan on printing both small and big things I'm scared that if I get a larger printer and then print smaller things on it is gonna effect the quality of the smaller thing and vice versa.
The printing size of an larger printer should be at least 50cm x 50cm, and for a smaller printer idm as long as it's not too small, the height doesn't matter to me that much on either.
The stuff I plan on printing the most are parts that I'll can use in my hobbies, as well as decorations for my room and such, but I'd also want to be able to print out like a custom keyboard case and keys if possible.
I got a Flashforge Guider 2 and love it. A lot of great printers out there in your price range.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Much over the 350mm size, and getting it into and out of rooms becomes a problem.

Also, most printing, is limited by hot end performance. You probally don't actually want a 500mm printer.

Big printers can print small things just fine. But even small printers are limited by how fast they can spit plastic. If you buy four printers, to get the same print area, you can print with the flow of four hot ends, as opposed to just.. one.

Anther important note, is if you're making "one big print" that "takes a very long time" any disturbance to your power kills your whole print. If you're printing 4 200x200mm parts a given issue (be it filament, printer failure, power failure) is only ~at most~ ruining 1/4 of the print, instead of the whole print.

Buy a couple prusas. You'll be happy.