Carbon infused Plastics

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tranced
  • 1 Post By axoid

Carbon infused Plastics

Old 11-09-2021, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Carbon infused Plastics

Does anyone have experience with it? Is it strong enough to make shock towers for 1/10 touring cars?
Old 11-11-2021, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

I've printed aluminum inflused PLA shocktowers and it's too brittle. Cracked at the bolts at first impact.
I've reprinted in PETG with the parts tilted 45 degrees which helps reduce the weakness along the lines of the extrusion.
They hold up on crashes, but I'm not sure if the flex is affecting handling.
I've looked into the carbon fiber infused PLA and PETG -- they are abrasive filaments and require a hardened steel nozzle as opposed to brass.
Here's the video where I found the printing tip:
G.Fabbiani likes this.

Last edited by tranced; 11-15-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by G.Fabbiani View Post
Does anyone have experience with it? Is it strong enough to make shock towers for 1/10 touring cars?
I've been using Carbon Fiber infused Nylon printing parts for my DR10s (body mounts, bumpers, wheelie bars). It has been working really good. It is also light weight, about 2/3 the weight of strait PETG. A 5mm thick wheelie bar at 100% infill are a little bendable, but I haven't been able to break it.

In fact it backed it into the curb once and wheelie bar was fine, but the aluminum wheelie bar mount was bent.
I broke the shock tower on my off-road buggy a couple of weeks ago and while I waited for a replacement I designed a printed one. I think it would have worked but at 4.5mm thick it still had bending in it. I put it in my box as a race day spare.

Carbon/Nylon still needs to be dried before printing but it isn't as bad as strait nylon. You also need to have a hot end that can sustain 270c temperatures, a heated bed as well as a hardened nozzle.
G.Fabbiani likes this.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys!