Looking for printer suggestions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By belewis01

Looking for printer suggestions

Old 11-06-2021, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for printer suggestions

Hello guys/gals.

My goal of this thread is to find out what make/model printer to purchase. I want to print ABS, nylon, and carbon fiber. However from my understanding the hardest one to print will be the carbon fiber because of higher temps needed throughout the process.

My question, Can someone point me to the budget friendly versions capable of this? Maybe some that have been successfully used by some of ya'll? I will pay more for one that has a better review. My second requirement behind budget, would be the ease of software and access to print files. I don't want to get one that it's hard to get software or files for like a Chinese only model for example. Thanks for any help offered.

My endgame is to build my own SCTs, and ST chassis's with Traxxas and team Associated as my influences, and keep Associateds precision, and fix all of traxxas' mistakes such as no mid motor 2wd trucks..lol.

So in conclusion I need a cheap printer that is proven and can handle up to carbon fiber printing. Also, I want one with a bed large enough for 8th scale chassis layouts. Keep that in mind in your suggestions. Thanks hopefully we can all get some good information here. In 3D printing information is gold in my opinion. Because all of us can be inventors, entrepreneurs, and possible business owners.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, I was going to suggest an Ender V3, but the bed is too small for your needs.

I would look at Matterhackers.com - they have a lot of info, and have been very good for materials and information. They have a carbon fiber filament that looks very tempting - I was very pleased with their PLA.

You will need an enclosure for nylon, and a steel nozzle for carbon fiber. You may need to upgrade the print head as well if high temps are required.

The printers don't have software per say - it's more of a firmware, and you just follow the menus. You will need a CAD / CAM software to create the files, and then output a .stl file. The .stl file will go to another software commonly called a slicer - I use a free slicer called Cura, and then the slicer will output a file the printer can use.

two shoes and iht9 like this.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jeremywhipkey99
Hello guys/gals.

My goal of this thread is to find out what make/model printer to purchase. I want to print ABS, nylon, and carbon fiber. However from my understanding the hardest one to print will be the carbon fiber because of higher temps needed throughout the process.

My question, Can someone point me to the budget friendly versions capable of this? Maybe some that have been successfully used by some of ya'll? I will pay more for one that has a better review. My second requirement behind budget, would be the ease of software and access to print files. I don't want to get one that it's hard to get software or files for like a Chinese only model for example. Thanks for any help offered.

My endgame is to build my own SCTs, and ST chassis's with Traxxas and team Associated as my influences, and keep Associateds precision, and fix all of traxxas' mistakes such as no mid motor 2wd trucks..lol.

So in conclusion I need a cheap printer that is proven and can handle up to carbon fiber printing. Also, I want one with a bed large enough for 8th scale chassis layouts. Keep that in mind in your suggestions. Thanks hopefully we can all get some good information here. In 3D printing information is gold in my opinion. Because all of us can be inventors, entrepreneurs, and possible business owners.
I recently bought a Ender 5 plus. It has a 13.5" square print heated bed and should handle the size you want, specially if you print the chassis diagonally on the bed. You will need to replace the extruder and nozzle to do carbon. I went with a Micro Swiss all metal replacement, it is a direct bolt in. I've been printing Carbon/Nylon parts with no problem (260c on the hot end and 70c on the print bed). 270c on the hot end is a build in limit on the Ender 5 plus.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks for the information so far. So in the firmware side of things. I assume there are places where they have files that have already been tried for both free and probly files that cost money? Can anyone direct me to some free rc files to start with? One day I will have a completed traxxas rustler the way it should've been made with a c/f chassis, shock towers, nylon a arms, transmission mid motor laydown case and a c/f top plate for electronics or battery mounting to get the weight distribution right and have enough room for up to 6s and a 38-40mm can motor if I so choose..lol.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:54 AM
Tech Rookie

When I read on ender and creality they seem to have some very poor reviews for people who have needed customer support? For example one person said the SD card door broke, and called to get it fixed from creality and didn't receive any accommodation. Claimed it was 3 weeks after purchase?

I want one with a good customer service and warranty if I'm going to pay $500+ for a piece of equipment it better have a warranty and good support..

Thanks in advance for any more help.
Anyone know of a mid motor rustler carbon fiber stl file?
I've looked and can't find one so far.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

i just got the prusa mini and love it. around 5 hours to build and have been printing most of the weekend.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

All mentioned ​​​​​printers have PTFE heatbreak - that means that PTFE tube used to feed filament goes all the way to nozzle, which means that print temperatures will be limited to around 240C.
If you want to print above 250, you need something with all metal hotend, ideally with direct extruder - Like Prusa i3

Enders are nice basic printers, but they need more maintenance and mods and have nearly zero support from manufacturer (but great support from community)
Old 11-18-2021, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

I started on an Ender 3 Pro and am able to print almost anything I've been interested in and if I wanted something bigger that wasn't a Prusa, I'd get either an Creality CR10V2 or a Sovol SV03. You've picked a great month to buy a printer.

I originally wanted a Prusa MK3S+ but decided to start on the cheap side. While the Creality printers can honestly print just as good as a Prusa, it's the extra semi "set it and forget" slicer atmosphere and support Prusa offers that make a Prusa worth it.

Just today I preordered the new Prusa XL and while it's not for everyone (base price is $2k) it's definitely for me. While the build plate is still not huge at 350mm all around, it's pretty innovative and unofficially supports Kilpper (I'll never care to use that FW).

Next week the MK3S+ will go on a Black Friday sale (sales are rare for Prusa printers) and while the price will probably be the current retail, you'll probably get free shipping (normally not free), an extra free bed sheet and maybe an additional spool making it a "great" deal if you're after one. I've been waiting months to buy an MK3S+ as I was waiting for the BF sale and didn't expect the XL to be released anytime soon but it was a pleasant surprise this morning.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:19 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm looking also.