Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > 3D Printing Forum
Higher print temps for Ender 3 Pro?? >

Higher print temps for Ender 3 Pro??

Higher print temps for Ender 3 Pro??

Old 05-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default Higher print temps for Ender 3 Pro??

Wanting to pull the trigger on this printer and I am aware that I have to add the Micro Swiss all metal hot end. I am curious as to what is the best way to change the firmware to raise the temperature above the preset 250 max needed to print nylon.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Flash with marlin. FYI I print PTEG at about 240 on the stock hotend regularly. Not quite as tough as nylon but so much easier to print.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petersen114 View Post
Wanting to pull the trigger on this printer and I am aware that I have to add the Micro Swiss all metal hot end. I am curious as to what is the best way to change the firmware to raise the temperature above the preset 250 max needed to print nylon.
In order to flash the stock motherboard you need a bootloader, costs around $7-$8 in eBay.

Many users have switched to SKR Mini E3 V1.2 (2.0 was released today) for $35 (Amazon or $28 on Aliexpress if you are willing to wait). This board quiets down the printer A LOT and you can flash it with custom firmware (changing presets, enabling safety features, etc.)

Old 05-19-2020, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I love my Ender 3 Pro and I installed the bootloader to my stock board in order to play around with Marlin 2.0 but ended up going down to 1.9. If I had to do it over again, I would upgrade to a better board, especially since they aren't too expensive. I'm still rocking the stock board so it's not that the board is bad but you'll see what I mean once you start your "bootloader" journey.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Werty Yui View Post
I love my Ender 3 Pro and I installed the bootloader to my stock board in order to play around with Marlin 2.0 but ended up going down to 1.9. If I had to do it over again, I would upgrade to a better board, especially since they aren't too expensive. I'm still rocking the stock board so it's not that the board is bad but you'll see what I mean once you start your "bootloader" journey.
The $30 is well worth it for removing the annoying chirping sound of the motor drivers.

I'm currently running Marlin 2.0.5.3 with no issues.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
The $30 is well worth it for removing the annoying chirping sound of the motor drivers.

I'm currently running Marlin 2.0.5.3 with no issues.
I plan on upgrading my board at some point, in particular, to a 32bit board down the line. When I decided to update my firmware, it was primarily to get the disabled thermal protection enabled. 32bit boards weren't even officially released at the time for the Ender 3 Pro so I decided to flash the stock and wait the new boards out. It was quite a journey dealing with issues getting the bootloader to flash and the limitations of an 8bit board means anyone using one in an Ender 3/Pro will be best served using Marlin 1.9 since it's better optimized for 8bit board versus 2.0+ which is the opposite. Bottom line, new board is the way to go but not 100% necessary.