Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sacmiata

Bed leveling

Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bed leveling

I give up on automatic bed leveling. it works fine for awhile and then it doesnt and everything has to be tinkered with.

CR10s pro with the original capacitive. I used to program and install CNC machines so we would square thing up with levels and dial indicators. we had touch probes but they were very accurate limit switches.I think these pros sensors are just not repeatable. I square my machine up with my old tools and it runs flawless now. no thin/thick layers. no scraping the bed. I square all the axis up so if your thinking dual z problems...nope.

do you guys have issues? I can run a dial indicator across my bed (glass) and get everything within 2 microns. I add shims and so on to do this. i run the auto level process and i see things off by .4. what? Run a print with bed level compensation on and i can see thin spot and high spot. turn it off and everything comes out perfect.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I don't have much experience with auto bed leveling other then our work printer which is hit an miss as well. Robo3d so it's not very adjustable and also just has a plastics frame so it doesn't have the greatest foundation to start with. Seems like from what I have read and seen its not worth it for me to add it to my printer.

I use a glass bed with Aquanet and level with a piece of paper until it's pretty tight in all 4 corners when the bed is at 50*. My first layer I go at least .20 and do 110% or more extrusion. I havent had a failed print in months. I relevel mayben once every 10 prints just in case.
Bry195 likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My ABL is always on with my cr10. I use ezabl, which is capacitive as well. Of course the sensor in this case is sensing the bed under the glass as I understand it. If you're shimming the glass a lot that could be why your ABL is goofy. Also temp needs to be stable. Always warm your bed before leveling. The capacitive sensors are probably the least accurate type though. the BLtouches are really cheap if you want a touch type.

I don't even check my first layers anymore now that I have it dialed in. I hit print and know its going to stick.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer View Post
My ABL is always on with my cr10. I use ezabl, which is capacitive as well. Of course the sensor in this case is sensing the bed under the glass as I understand it. If you're shimming the glass a lot that could be why your ABL is goofy. Also temp needs to be stable. Always warm your bed before leveling. The capacitive sensors are probably the least accurate type though. the BLtouches are really cheap if you want a touch type.

I don't even check my first layers anymore now that I have it dialed in. I hit print and know its going to stick.
i run the creality glass and I wasn’t sure if the capacitive was catching the silkscreen or not. But now that you mention it the topology does look like the support underneath.

ive turned abl off 2 weeks ago and zero problems since.

thanks
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

It performs much better without the bed leveling. The sensor is measuring below the glass. I confirmed all the weird high and low spots and they do look like the supports underneath.

the glass is flatter than the supports. Now I can see high and low spots in the first level and if I need to adjust high or low I can see what the extrusion looks like when its bad and adjust it on the fly by hand while in a print.