Gears

Reply

Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Gears



This is what i got so far
Has anyone tried pla+ for gearing on a RC car? I know nylon is number one choice it seems but my MP select v2 won't print it.

Last edited by speedworks; 10-10-2019 at 10:24 AM.
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 AM
  #2  
Tech Adept
 
J SiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mernda, Vic
Posts: 179
Default

I got 3 feet with the pla+ one I tried
J SiN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 AM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 838
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I've printed nylon with my MP select mini V1 running a $9 v6 knock off hot end. Nylon is, however, a little more floppy than I'd like for RC parts.
anthonyscardina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:37 AM
  #4  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
I've printed nylon with my MP select mini V1 running a $9 v6 knock off hot end. Nylon is, however, a little more floppy than I'd like for RC parts.
Did you do anything to motherboard or add any sensors to get hotend to work correctly?
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:38 AM
  #5  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by J SiN View Post
I got 3 feet with the pla+ one I tried
Man that's not good, how did it break? Electric or nitro vehicle?
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:34 AM
  #6  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
TheRulesLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I can't imagine PLA gears taking any amount of power without being super wide for RC. Maybe the idler gears in my mini... they are like 1cm wide so huge relatively. I should try some on my resin machine though. The siatech blu is supposed to be fairly strong and I could actually get a clean enough print for the them to mesh well.
TheRulesLawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:41 PM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 838
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by speedworks View Post
Did you do anything to motherboard or add any sensors to get hotend to work correctly?
I used the existing heater and thermistor from the stock hot end, and did not make any changes to anything else.
anthonyscardina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:25 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
I used the existing heater and thermistor from the stock hot end, and did not make any changes to anything else.
Ok, just went to my mini v2 and firmware will only let hotend hit 280c max. Thought nylon needed 300 or more? Also how hot did you set the bed temp? And did you enclose the printer to hold heat in?
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:26 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer View Post
I can't imagine PLA gears taking any amount of power without being super wide for RC. Maybe the idler gears in my mini... they are like 1cm wide so huge relatively. I should try some on my resin machine though. The siatech blu is supposed to be fairly strong and I could actually get a clean enough print for the them to mesh well.
I would love to see one of those resin gears made.
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:28 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Have a little update, tried that pla+ gear and it worked. So far only have one tank of ripping 360's and holeshots but its holding up. Gear is around 6mm thick with 25% infill.
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
  #11  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
TheRulesLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 40
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by speedworks View Post
I would love to see one of those resin gears made.
Send me a STL and I'll print you one. PM me if you want to hook up.
TheRulesLawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
  #12  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Default

I did some 4:1 helical bevel gears for an FPV Rover 2.0 build ( thing# 2952852 on thingiverse - can't do link in first post) as a re-mix of the original straight bevel 2:1 gear set, printed from both PLA & PLA+. They are holding up pretty well so far even with a bit of abuse. That said, I consider the parts consumable & keep extras on hand for the time when they eventually break or wear. The rover is powered by two brushed 540 motors & a 2S lipo battery.

I'd post pics & video links, but that is not permitted on a first post.

nikdfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
  #13  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Default

I did the initial design using an involute gear library in OpenSCAD, then fleshed out the connection profiles in Tinkercad. It did take a couple of trial & error prints to get the gear mesh right due to the differences in gear height between original design & remix. The motor mount was a fixed quantity due to size & placement, so I needed to mod the gears to get a correct gear interface.
nikdfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
  #14  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer View Post
Send me a STL and I'll print you one. PM me if you want to hook up.
Sent ya a PM
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
  #15  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
I did some 4:1 helical bevel gears for an FPV Rover 2.0 build ( thing# 2952852 on thingiverse - can't do link in first post) as a re-mix of the original straight bevel 2:1 gear set, printed from both PLA & PLA+. They are holding up pretty well so far even with a bit of abuse. That said, I consider the parts consumable & keep extras on hand for the time when they eventually break or wear. The rover is powered by two brushed 540 motors & a 2S lipo battery.

I'd post pics & video links, but that is not permitted on a first post.
Good to hear your having good luck with pla+ gears also. Ill keep this post updated with how mine hold up over time.
speedworks is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service