Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > 3D Printing Forum
What's your printing setup? >

What's your printing setup?

Like Tree18Likes

What's your printing setup?

Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default What's your printing setup?

Just curious as to what equipment and software people are using.

I've been wanting to get into printing for a while, but haven't.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (94%+)
Default Pr

i have a few different printers Prusa MK3 2 ender’s and 2 Cr10 minis and cr10s and a tevo flash

i use design spark to design stuff s3D for slicing and Prusa slicer for the Prusa mk3
Dave_S likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Just curious as to what equipment and software people are using.

I've been wanting to get into printing for a while, but haven't.
I just got into it myself about a month ago. I borrowed a 3D Robo R2 from work and liked it so i bought a Creality Ender 3 Pro

I am using Sketchup for modeling and playing around with Autodesk Fusion. After your model is done you need to "slice" it to create the tooling path (G-Code). I use a free software called CURA for that.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm excited that this section is here now! I hope we can get some excitement around it.

I have an Ender 3 that I am in love with.
-printed filiment roller guide
-bullseye fan duct
-tool caddy on the top beam
-marlin firmware update
-gulf coast robotics glass bed
-PEI sheet on the glass bed
-stepper dampers on x and y

Seems like a lot of work but I have just tweaked here and there, none of it is needed to print, but does improve the experience and make it more reliable.

I use Fusion 360 exclusively and recommend it to everyone. If you are interested in figures and sculpting though, I point friends to Blender.

Slicing. I recently installed the "Creawesome mod" for Cura. My prints are so clean now, supports just fall off instead of ripping, no strings at all. If you have an Ender and use Cura, this is worth your time.

Anyway, that's my setup, I love being able to reverse engineer a part and install it the same day. Why not?!
Dave_S likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

i use a Zortrax M200. It has a own slicing software.

This printer uses ABS. I use by holes offset in above 10 mm: 0,4 mm

Most commonly i use the 0.19 mm layer hight. It's enough smooth for the surfaces which have fuction.
Above that you always have to polish with sand paper.

Balázs
Dave_S likes this.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have an el-cheapo XYZ Davinci Jr 2.0, which doesn't do too bad for simple, small things. The only issue I have is the spools are often sent with the counter not being reset after winding. Aggravating as hell, because the only thing you can do is buy a new counter card, or you lose half of your spool.

I use Simplify3D for slicing, pretty good program.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dave 3d printing is one of those things you have to go into headfirst, you will get a billion right answers, look at 3d printer profiles, for example, one profile may make beautiful parts for someone but will result in a terrible part for another. Then if you bought a turd you'll be forced into tinkering with it which will help you understand your machine, its capability and overall you'll get a better understanding of the hobby. My workhorse is a cr-10 that thing doesn't give up in all the years I had it the only real thing I had go bad with it was the heat bed. I also have a genius Prusa, good printer but doesn't give you much tinkering ability as it is pretty much set and go. Also, have a cheap SLA printer, I thought I would use it more but haven't found many situations for using, plus not a big fan of working with the resin. Apart from that got a couple of other cheap Chinese printers, monoprice mp select mini v1(sold it), Mini Fabrikator V1 (stripped the electronics out of it and sold them and now just have the shell as a display), Panowin F1 (Basically the Kodama trinus, which was converted to experiment with food printing) and recently my latest addition was a monoprice mini delta (The deal for it was too good to pass up)
Dave_S likes this.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ENder 3 with 3DS Max Pro and I use Ideamaker for the GCode. Works amazing so far and Ive only been printing for about a month. Im blown away at how good these little ender 3 units really are.
Dave_S and johnnydmd like this.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Tech Rookie

I have an Ender 3 that I picked up as an early Christmas gift to myself last year. It has had a few mods since then. One of the first was to burn a bootloader onto the stock controller so I could run Marlin firmware. After about 6 months, I went to an MKS Gen L controller board + RepRap Discount Smart Display primarily to get more memory to add additional features in Marlin.

I currently have a BL-Touch sensor mounted & UBL (Universal Bed Leveling) enabled. That is a mesh bed "leveling" system that can be run from the LCD menu. The mesh I use is based on 25 measurement points. My machine does a 3 point validation prior to each print to adjust the mesh to the current plane of the bed if needed (in case it was moved).

My print bed is boron glass resting on a 1mm silicon thermal pad with no clips. The pad is tacky enough to prevent any side to side movement but still allows the glass to be easily removed, needing only to break the suction at one corner to get it to come free.

I use a printed "Neustruder" for my extruder ( thingiverse thing # 2422803) with an E3D Hobb-Goblin drive gear. It has no trouble printing TPU at 50mm/sec.

My slicer is Cura, currently running version 4.3. The design package most frequently used it Tinkercad, although I do use OpenSCAD and Fusion 360 on occasion.

I use an enclosure made from 3 Ikea "LACK" tables, stacked, with the top one fitted with leg extensions. For the top segment, one side & the door are clear acrylic, the other two are covered by foam board. The underside of the enclosure top is fitted with LED strip lighting. I have a radial fan pulling a negative pressure on the enclosure, exhausting to a pair of stacked HEPA filter elements. The enclosure is also fitted with a smoke detector that is linked to a relay controlling power to the printer. If the alarm is triggered, the power is interrupted.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

FDM-
CR10
  • e3d v6 hotend
  • EZABL autolevel
  • Titan extruder
  • Duet wifi 2 control
  • Slicer- Cura
Resin-
Anycubic Photon
  • Stock!
  • Slicer- Chitubox
DesignI also have a really small CNC router(6x9 ish) that can cut aluminum if you're really careful, but it better on softer parts.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Printer
Ender 3 pro
Carbon Tempered Glass Build Plate
Titan extruder
BLTouch Auto-Leveling
Octoprint on pi3
Slicer Cura
Dave_S likes this.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Prusa i3 (DIY pre-kit) with 10mm smooth rod upgrade.
I spend more time printing printer parts than anything else
Dave_S likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ultimaker2+, 2+ Extended, or 3. I design things with Autodesk Inventor and use Ultimaker Cura to prepare and tweak the files for the printers.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Ender 5 Quiet mod, glass plate, just PLA so far.
Micro swiss, and rolls of PC and NylonX are in the wishlist and I expect they'll probably come with Santa.

Fusion 360 + Cura.

Dave_S likes this.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.