What Did You Print Today? >

What Did You Print Today?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree431Likes

What Did You Print Today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 1.64 average.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

and its all done and RTR and now I have a few days of bad weather , so.. I am going to print out a 2nd one in bright green and black so I can get some video of some heads up racing with a couple of these guys!! Weighing in at 185 grams RTR and powered by PN racing 50t motor on 2s lipo , they will be geared for mid 30 mph runs on a 1/24 scale 55 ft 1/4 mile.. Cant wait !!

Old 03-15-2021, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
and its all done and RTR and now I have a few days of bad weather , so.. I am going to print out a 2nd one in bright green and black so I can get some video of some heads up racing with a couple of these guys!! Weighing in at 185 grams RTR and powered by PN racing 50t motor on 2s lipo , they will be geared for mid 30 mph runs on a 1/24 scale 55 ft 1/4 mile.. Cant wait !!

Going to sell the files?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been printing tire bands
Old 03-19-2021, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, to quote Dee Dee Ramone "I'm making Monsters for my friends"-- Making up some test mules to send to a few micro/mini peeps whose opinions I value.. So far my Fav is the Blue Chassis with yellow tins (Go BLUE!!) but I have one with a grey chassis and red tins printing as I type that I think is going to look pretty sharp.. I have been running test passes with mine over the last couple days .. starting out slow to see how things behave.. ended up passing the 45 mph marker (GPS confirmed) with mine today.. LOVING the PN racing tires on the rear .. They hook up REALLY good with the 30* compound on asphalt.. No sauce of course..
Old 03-19-2021, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Going to sell the files?
Hashing that out right now.. My issue is there are a LOT of people who dont print that want one , or 3 in some cases, so trying to figure things out so I dont need a legal team flinging cease and desist letters all over etsy etc from others just printing them out to sell.. If you look at my thread in the micro mini section on here, I have 7 years of R+D invested into these guys as that thread dates back to 2014..
Raguvian likes this.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hashing that out right now.. My issue is there are a LOT of people who dont print that want one , or 3 in some cases, so trying to figure things out so I dont need a legal team flinging cease and desist letters all over etsy etc from others just printing them out to sell.. If you look at my thread in the micro mini section on here, I have 7 years of R+D invested into these guys as that thread dates back to 2014..
I find that printing things to sell is a terrible idea, and selling files is also a bad route to take. When I was trying to sell Mini T parts people would keep asking for the files as they had their own 3D printer, without realizing I'm not giving away hours and hours of work and prototyping for free. I've also seen too many people selling others' work on FB RC groups so I decided if I don't want to put the files on Thingiverse to just keep them to myself.

Hopefully it goes better for you though.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

myminifactory might be a good choice.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Raguvian
I find that printing things to sell is a terrible idea, and selling files is also a bad route to take. When I was trying to sell Mini T parts people would keep asking for the files as they had their own 3D printer, without realizing I'm not giving away hours and hours of work and prototyping for free. I've also seen too many people selling others' work on FB RC groups so I decided if I don't want to put the files on Thingiverse to just keep them to myself.

worst case I have sat on this project for 7 years now and have no issue with just putting them out to those that appreciate the amount of work I have into this.. If people dont like it, they are more than welcome to A) go without and wish you had one, or B) take the time and design one themselves.. Many have said they would just design one themselves over the last 7 years .. well to my and You tubes/google's knowledge, 7 years later I still have the only functional top fuel car in the world smaller than 1/10 .. Lots of people talk about what they are going to do.. few actually have the tenacity to do it.. Thats where you and I differ from tons of folks out there.. I mean you took the time to reverse engineer something.. Most dont have the skills/patience/perseverance to even do that now days, much less design something from scratch and solve all the associated problems to get to the end result....
Old 03-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

If you need some testing I got some 1/18 electronics in a project I'm scrapping.
2wdMod likes this.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

figured I would share since you all have seen me printing these guys out.. Both cars are running the same electronics.. PN racing 50 t / 20a speed control /650 mah lipo.. some really close fun racing for sure!! topping out at around 35mph geared 5.5:1 FDR on PN racing rubber tires , no sauce..
Old 03-23-2021, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Been a minute since I did a print just for fun , so I designed this .. Its funny because its true!!

STL is up on the verse ..
Faults sign by CSRC - Thingiverse
motorXhead likes this.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raguvian

I understand your concerns. When I approached you about buying your files it was after agreeing to buy your parts and I wanted to see what you considered fair value for your work just in case I broke parts and you were no longer producing them. I respected your decision not to sell due to inability to safeguard your work. I appreciate the work you put in for the parts i bought off of you. Wish you still had interest in the Losi Mini series as I was looking forward to see what else you would put out. I wish there was a better way to handle this to protect your work while also allowing for idiots like me that can only design simple designs to find more uses for my printer.

Paul Barsamian just ran into the issue of someone selling a Losi Mini T/B stand design he graciously provided for free. I use a lot of the designs he put out for free so I hope it stops or at least does not become a hassle.

The current limit of my design abilities:

An adapter block to put in the middle of a Duratrax pit stand so I can use it with my minis. Nozzle is shot but not bad for a quick print.
2wdMod and sacmiata like this.

Last edited by dubels; 03-25-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dubels

The current limit of my design abilities:
At least you started - picking up 3d design isn't for the faint of heart and most people don't get past downloading the free software.
2wdMod and dubels like this.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Is there any legal protection for people posting things on thingiverse only to find them on ETSY a few months later. Fortunately its something I only spent an hour on designing and its a $5 part being sold to a very limited market so no one is getting rich! Personally I like the idea of file sharing to those who have printers and using the files for personal use - but now that I have seen people sell my basic design I would never opt to post anything other then pictures for something that I had a lot of time and energy into.
2wdMod likes this.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sacmiata
Is there any legal protection for people posting things on thingiverse only to find them on ETSY a few months later. Fortunately its something I only spent an hour on designing and its a $5 part being sold to a very limited market so no one is getting rich! Personally I like the idea of file sharing to those who have printers and using the files for personal use - but now that I have seen people sell my basic design I would never opt to post anything other then pictures for something that I had a lot of time and energy into.
I mean you can sue .. But of course cant get blood from a stone so yeah .. Even "honest" people will be open to printing a couple extra for some friends as they arent really selling them.. Kind of why I have decided that I will produce them for those that appreciate what I have .. I fully encourage others to take on the challenge of designing their own and will share dimensions , parts lists , sources , etc.. Because I would LOVE to help grow a 1/24 drag class.. I actually released the files for one of my 1/24 drag platforms for free on thingiverse..(Micro Muscle 1/24 R/C drag chassis by CSRC - Thingiverse) its about 80% printed .. That was 3 months back.. so far zero makes other than me ..I did it purely for the sake of fishing for information, and what I found out is if there are any other custom parts to be made requiring some actual machining skills this kind of weeds out the file sellers.. For instance the kit in question requires some work cutting aluminum tubing and tapping it and keeping things within spec for the front axles and spindles.. Something that I have the skills to do in about 10 minutes and I have received quite a few messages asking if I will make them and just sell them the parts so they can finish their build.. my Top fuel design uses a machined aluminum motor plate , and the same front axle design I just mentioned.. I own a cnc mill and lathe .. Its about a 6 hour run for me to make 2 dozen motor plates up.. so you see what I'm saying .. I design around the machinery I own.. Not really too many people own a mill , lathe , and multiple printers etc, and if they DO , they more than likely have the skills to take what I have done as inspiration to design their own.. Opening a real can of worms in here,LOL but thats good, I love discussion like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 1.64 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.