Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree401Likes

Windy City RC Raceway & Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

This is a group of people who have researched a lot on this whole track opening idea and the will make mistakes. But we have to give them a chance and any positive ideas that we can give them is better than negative ones. Just positive ideas is what helps. This could
Be a great thing for on road and the new off road on grass.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am looking forward to this track because it is so close to my house. I just hope what ever they do it is sustainable. The people that they need to cater the most to will be the newbies. The only way they can survive will be with the addition of new blood. As long as there are the core race classes and a well run race program the regulars will show up. To sustain a thriving business they will need a solid hobby shop and an intro race class that won't break the bank and scare away potential new racers. There needs to be some entry level class (not just a sportsman class) that a parent potential can afford to cars (1 for the child and 1 for the parent). This hobby has so much potential for a family to enjoy together. Advertising will be key and probably a big expense that will be important to succeed.
I wish them all the best.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
I am looking forward to this track because it is so close to my house. I just hope what ever they do it is sustainable. The people that they need to cater the most to will be the newbies. The only way they can survive will be with the addition of new blood. As long as there are the core race classes and a well run race program the regulars will show up. To sustain a thriving business they will need a solid hobby shop and an intro race class that won't break the bank and scare away potential new racers. There needs to be some entry level class (not just a sportsman class) that a parent potential can afford to cars (1 for the child and 1 for the parent). This hobby has so much potential for a family to enjoy together. Advertising will be key and probably a big expense that will be important to succeed.
+1. New Blood is what keeps this hobby alive and kicking. And there will be plenty of informative people there to help and steer people the correct way.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
LARRY!!! If this place opens I will be destroying your Tamiyas.....again :P

One concern in terms of onroad is with the dimensions given that is a super fastsmall track in terms of lap times. You're probably taking less than 9secs for even a USGT car.

One big carpet track with modular Euro Offroad Series style jumps for offroad days would be cool. But that's just me.

We're all just getting antsy in anticipation of a track being less than 40 minutes away for Chicagoans and surrounding suburbs.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
LARRY!!! If this place opens I will be destroying your Tamiyas.....again :P

One concern in terms of onroad is with the dimensions given that is a super fastsmall track in terms of lap times. You're probably taking less than 9secs for even a USGT car.

One big carpet track with modular Euro Offroad Series style jumps for offroad days would
be cool. But that's just me.

We're all just getting antsy in anticipation of a track being less than 40 minutes away for Chicagoans and surrounding suburbs.
Unless they're side by side on the long side, it could be impossible to have good visibility... 30x160 would be tough... I have no idea, of course, what the facility looks like. Carpet longevity and having to trade even practice sessions between on and off road, separate sounds more likely to attract new/occasional folks.

I also wish I could get there in 40 minutes it's 51+ right now, and that's the best I've seen. Still the closest. Maybe on an ideal day with no traffic 40 is possible, but weekdays for a little practice could push to 2hrs. Grrr.

Is it ready yet?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I like the idea of the two separate tracks. Lake in the Hills has a fairly small off road tack and look at the crowds we get out there. It allows people to practice on open days on either or both track without any headaches. Unless the on road guys wouldn't mind snaking around the jumps lol. I hear offroad cars can be hard on carpet from the landings anyways. Maybe do a summer series in conjunction with Time Warp, Race Em, LHR, or Harbor. Would be cool to me. I'm always up to race something different, just have to learn how to get a short bus around on turf lol. Good luck guys.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tazfam2
+1. New Blood is what keeps this hobby alive and kicking. And there will be plenty of informative people there to help and steer people the correct way.
I really hope a real effort is made with this. There is a whole group of RC owners that have been turned away from going to tracks, let alone get into racing.
I've meet a number of former racers that have been helpful over the years. I can't say the same for active racers.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tazfam2
This is a group of people who have researched a lot on this whole track opening idea and the will make mistakes. But we have to give them a chance and any positive ideas that we can give them is better than negative ones. Just positive ideas is what helps. This could
Be a great thing for on road and the new off road on grass.
One idea I personally like and would give newbies a chance to run their new cars.
Anyone buying a car from the shop on site gets free access to the associated track for a set time, say 6 months or till the end of the year??

If the person wants to run in a specific race then ok, they have to pay like everyone else.
I guess this may be ok for newbies, but I think it would also work with the more experienced too......

what do you think?

I for one will try to get to the on road track there.

Regards
BM
Old 01-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Any updates on progress?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
Any updates on progress?
If it is the building I think it is, the for lease signs are still in the Windows. This is the building that shares the lot with the motor cycle/scooter store. Hopefully there is progress soon or it is not this building. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
Any updates on progress?
We should be in building to get started in the next few weeks. Have been finalizing things with the Village and Building Owner. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Just saw this thread.

thisissoeffingawesome.

Can't wait!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

This sounds like it could be great! I can use my on-road car again!
I do think it would be cool to have some sort of beginner on-road class like those RJ Speed Legend Racers or something cheap to get more people involved. Maybe connect with local school districts and start r/c racing teams in schools. I'm sure it wouldn't cost anymore than any other sport, a baseball bat is $200!
Without a dirt track I imagine the whole place being cleaner than others, yay!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chimer
I do think it would be cool to have some sort of beginner on-road class like those RJ Speed Legend Racers or something cheap to get more people involved. Maybe connect with local school districts and start r/c racing teams in schools. I'm sure it wouldn't cost anymore than any other sport, a baseball bat is $200!
$200 bat? Ours was over $400....
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chimer
Check out the Hadley RC club from down in Glen Ellyn: hadleyrcclub.com Maybe have this track do a deal with club members to practice for free or something, it would be a great way to get local kids hooked on RC. I know for a lot of them Leisure Hours or Harbor Hobbies is too far a trek most parents are willing to make for the younger, novice kids. This track would be a great location to help get them exposed to more things RC and grow the hobby for sure!

On that note I can't wait for a more local place to race/practice with my onroad car! Really hope this comes through

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.