Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
United Sportscar R/C Racing Championship 11-9-14 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobbies >

United Sportscar R/C Racing Championship 11-9-14 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobbies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Sportscar R/C Racing Championship 11-9-14 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Fun time at the race and the new carpet came out great!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Had a blast racing with you guys and meeting everyone. Hope to be back this weekend.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

results anyplace??
Old 11-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Results

Here are the results from Sunday's event.

There are 2 files, 1 from up to round 4 with individual class mains and another with the GP Mains.

Prototypes finished 1-2 and USGT took third.

We hope everyone enjoyed the event and thank you once again to the event sponsors.

ABT Electronics
HPI/HB
Speedpassion
Alloy Physical Care
McAllister Racing
Gravity RC
CTX Speed
Damore Motorsports
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
USSRC 110914.pdf (31.6 KB, 113 views)
USSRC Grand Prix.pdf (21.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Repost from another thread, seems to be more active people here!

There's the results of the main two finals, but I'm curious to hear more details about it, both to compare the lap times of the top drivers in each classes (to compare the classes), and also more subjective reports (how that felt having different classes together on the track)...

I'm not sure how to read the results, either? It says "Prototype", "USGT", and "Trans-Am", but the classes were USGT, Speed Passion LM-1 Le Mans, and McAllister Prototypes?

How fast were the McAllister Prototypes compared to similar cars with normal TC bodies (like Mazda Speed 6)? More stable, more aggressive?

Were the LM-1 faster, despite running 21.5T motors?

From the photos, it looks awesome!

Last edited by pphaneuf; 11-13-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo and added the last line
Old 11-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

where are all the photos at?? i want to see what I missed
Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who was involved to make this event happen! Eric and everyone at The Track helped put on a spectacular event, and I hope everyone had as much fun competing in the event as I did creating it!

Here is a video I made of the A-Main Grand Prix! I hope everyone enjoys it!

http://youtu.be/DSE08p_i7DA

As our good friend Chip was our make-shift event photographer and posted up some awesome pics!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/11710893@N02/sets/72157649252697945/
Old 11-14-2014, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Repost from another thread, seems to be more active people here!

There's the results of the main two finals, but I'm curious to hear more details about it, both to compare the lap times of the top drivers in each classes (to compare the classes), and also more subjective reports (how that felt having different classes together on the track)...

I'm not sure how to read the results, either? It says "Prototype", "USGT", and "Trans-Am", but the classes were USGT, Speed Passion LM-1 Le Mans, and McAllister Prototypes?

How fast were the McAllister Prototypes compared to similar cars with normal TC bodies (like Mazda Speed 6)? More stable, more aggressive?

Were the LM-1 faster, despite running 21.5T motors?

From the photos, it looks awesome!
I ran both the Prototype & Le Mans classes and had a blast .

Will try to answer your questions below:
1. Having all 3 classes on the track at once was a great racing experience. The USGT cars were slower, while the Le Mans and Prototype cars were closely matched. You had to manage traffic just like the real racing series does which added to the challenge and provided an additional element of FUN.

2. The results in the heat sheets didn't quite align to the naming and USVTA was added as another class for the weekly club racers that participate in another points series but was not part of the USRC final 3 class race.

3. Since I run 17.5 TC as well, I simply placed the prototype body on that car and made minor adjustments to the car setup. The prototype bodies proved to be very stable and I was turning laptimes very close to my regular Mazda body. I hope this type of class can gain popularity.

4. The LM1 cars & Prototypes were very closely matched. I think an LM1 ran a 8.0 hot lap in racing, while I did an 8.0 in my prototype in practice (8.1 in racing) and my LM1 car was running consistent 8.2 laps. With the foam tires, the LM1 car had the advantage in the tighter infield sections and the prototype was better in the open sections with the extra power. I ran several close laps with Rob running the LM1 and me with my prototype in the 3 class main and we were very closely matched overall. In the 3 class main, the prototype may have a slight advantage since you have solid brakes to rely on to help with traffic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jimmy
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314
I ran both the Prototype & Le Mans classes and had a blast .

Will try to answer your questions below:
1. Having all 3 classes on the track at once was a great racing experience. The USGT cars were slower, while the Le Mans and Prototype cars were closely matched. You had to manage traffic just like the real racing series does which added to the challenge and provided an additional element of FUN.

2. The results in the heat sheets didn't quite align to the naming and USVTA was added as another class for the weekly club racers that participate in another points series but was not part of the USRC final 3 class race.

3. Since I run 17.5 TC as well, I simply placed the prototype body on that car and made minor adjustments to the car setup. The prototype bodies proved to be very stable and I was turning laptimes very close to my regular Mazda body. I hope this type of class can gain popularity.

4. The LM1 cars & Prototypes were very closely matched. I think an LM1 ran a 8.0 hot lap in racing, while I did an 8.0 in my prototype in practice (8.1 in racing) and my LM1 car was running consistent 8.2 laps. With the foam tires, the LM1 car had the advantage in the tighter infield sections and the prototype was better in the open sections with the extra power. I ran several close laps with Rob running the LM1 and me with my prototype in the 3 class main and we were very closely matched overall. In the 3 class main, the prototype may have a slight advantage since you have solid brakes to rely on to help with traffic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jimmy
Nice Jimmy! Sounds like a blast. Started re-assembling my LM1 last night.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Here is a more formal version of this weekends results including which class each racer competed in!
Attached Files
USCRCGrandPrix.pdf (203.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Looking more closely, it's looking like the Speed Passion LM-1 specs are quite similar to World GT (which appears to be called GT10 here in the UK, to go with GT12), with a few exceptions (the GT3 class that uses 2S batteries runs 17.5T motors, and a weight minimum of 1150 grams). They run all sorts of body shells, a bit like USGT, but they specifically allow some like the Mon-Tech M10 and the Team Muso LM-P Type 1, which look almost identical to the Speed Passion LM-1 body.

But I like the idea of DP and LM shelled cars be close in performance, despite their very different underpinning, they look fairly similar, so it would come to a question of preference (like g12314 said, the foam tyred pan cars have the edge on the infield, and the touring cars make up for it in the open sections).

And even though they're close, keeping the two classes separate avoids a situation where one would be compelled to own both types of cars, if they go on different tracks, to use the fastest one on each. Since the classes are separate, if you go with your pan car to a more open track, you might not get the overall win, but you're still fighting with equals for the class win!

If the LM-1 car can indeed fit closely with the WGT rules, it might be an idea to run them as a variant of that (keep the 21.5T motor and body rules), to allow more chassis choice?

I'll definitely be getting a McAllister DP body or two to run on my Xray T4, for fun! My local club is fairly relaxed, so it's fine with them, and I could still run it for show during practices at bigger races...
Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

The nearer car is my Xray X10, with a Mon-Tech M10 body:

This is for the BRCA GT10 class, which is pretty much the same as WGT, with some more bodies allowed (still a fixed list, but there's some that aren't front-engine cars, unlike WGT). We race them with 1S batteries, and 10.5T motors (boost is allowed). With the massive WGT control tyres, even with boost, 10.5T is quite easy to handle...